Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Who will Open Track their new Z?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 11:43 AM
jwfisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who will Open Track their new Z?

Who is planning to Open Track their new Z?

While it's way early, has anybody done it yet? What do you see as needing attention?

What mods specific to Open Track are being planned?
Old 09-02-2002, 10:49 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Who will Open Track their new Z?

As soon as i get the car

Originally posted by jwfisher
Who is planning to Open Track their new Z?

While it's way early, has anybody done it yet? What do you see as needing attention?

What mods specific to Open Track are being planned?
Old 09-02-2002, 10:59 PM
Yuichi

Talking Would be Sweet!

Jeff,

I know Cheston is going to be the crazy 350Z modified guy. I mean the guy blows stuff up for a living right? So you should see what he does to his cars.

But I have been talking to Steve (Raceboy) a lot and he really is starting to get a feel for the 350Z and what needs to be done to the suspension. Any wisdom here Steve?

Would be sweet to see Z's on the track. Especially with NISMO racing their Z in the GTC in Japan!
Old 09-02-2002, 11:03 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Would be Sweet!

anyone pay attention to that Z article in SCC? freakin 0.98 on the skidpad by slamming the car with 600/650 spring ratings!!!

yeowie thats gonna be some cone-eater i'd say.

Originally posted by Yuichi
Jeff,

I know Cheston is going to be the crazy 350Z modified guy. I mean the guy blows stuff up for a living right? So you should see what he does to his cars.

But I have been talking to Steve (Raceboy) a lot and he really is starting to get a feel for the 350Z and what needs to be done to the suspension. Any wisdom here Steve?

Would be sweet to see Z's on the track. Especially with NISMO racing their Z in the GTC in Japan!
Old 09-03-2002, 09:47 AM
raceboy
Banned

Yuichi and I have been talking a lot about suspension mods for this car. Hopefully we'll have some good information soon for you guys.

The way I see it is this. The Z is an excellent starting point. This is greatly due to the stiffness of the chassis and the excellent suspension layout. Not much needs to be done here, but there is still no doubt Nissan had to trade off some handling for comfort and liability reasons.

So what needs to be done?? Well, spring rates need to go up front and rear. Maybe 15% greater front, 20% greater rear. Rear ARB needs to be stiffened. Car could be lowered about 1/2-3/4" as well. First tire change I do I will go to 235's up front. Alignment settings will need to be fine tuned as well. I will be setting up the cars for open track events and not AutoX. What works in AutoX often makes the car undrivable on a real racetrack. If you are really serious you can move the battery to the back of the car as well for better weight dist. especially if you have removed the spare and tools.

As far as what SCC did, nearly all of their gain was from the tires alone. My goal is to make the car hang on and handle that well on street tires and not DOT race tires.