Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about some high mileage goodness

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Deedilus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about some high mileage goodness

Hey all, hopefully at the end of this week I'll be posting in the newbie forum about my new 350. Until then, however I have a question for you guys.

I currently have a great opportunity to take ownership of an '05 350z Base with some the mods I was planning on doing already done to it, all for a smidgen over the KBB value of the car. Only problem is it has 103K miles. I don't know much about the motor in the 350, but I've been doing some research and it seems like they hold up really well, even after the 100K mark. Your thoughts?

Oh, and I should mention that this is probably one of the cleanest 350's in my area, and is also the cheapest out of all of the 350's that are for sale. The interior looks like it just got out of the factory, same with the exterior. This guy babied this car for sure.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:14 PM
WhiteNoiz

I personally wouldn't be too worried about buying a Z with 100k. Just use your best judgment when you drive it. Sounds like he took care of it esthetically, thats usually a good sign at least.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:28 PM
dj lizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen a lot of Zs in taxes via websites, but they all had the same problem with milage. any way if you feel that this is not a good idea, then I can find you a good one with in the price range you want in your area just msg me your info. good luck.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Deedilus

For sure, thanks man. First person that hasn't just gone "Ooooh I dunno 100K+ is a lot of miles......." The car feels as tight as a drum; steering is nice and precise, not heavy like every single other 350Z I've driven; gear changes are slick and smooth, not sloppy.. like every other 350Z I've driven. Gut's tellin me to go for it, I just keep listening to the people only seeing it's miles

And Lizard, it's because everything is so damn far away from everything else out here! Former owner use to work as an independent web designer, but instead of keeping it local like I do he commuted back and forth between Austin, San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas, Houston and Dallas being round 3 - 4 hours away from each other AS WELL AS San Antonio and Austin. Talk about a lot of driving

Last edited by Deedilus; 05-17-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:56 PM
dj lizard

lmao that is why they say every this is bigger in Taxes lol sorry for not knowing that cuz I came from a country that is 10 times smaller then Taxes "Qatar" "well then the milage is not an issue if you are not planning to invest in it or resell it".
Old 05-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Deedilus

It's no problem at all man, it's something that's kind of unique to us that live here xD. Well I'm planning to mod it but I'm not really planning to go insane on it or anything. It's mainly going to just be my daily driver with very occasional excursions to the local track.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:31 PM
dj lizard

the Zs are very reliable cars even with super mods. on my 350z have single turbo kit TN. it's my daily driven car the only problem I had was the a/c "my kit never came with the a/c line and I had it done by the people in the forum that is it even though I'm a student afford a lot to do in this Z. hope you found something interesting.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:34 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

100,000 miles and the motor is good but what about other stuff. Original springs and dampers? Wheel bearings? You will either pay now (for a Z with less miles) or pay later (replacing worn components).

No free lunch for you.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:47 AM
dj lizard

will if you thing about it from my point of view. you will see that some of those parts you'll either replace them with after market parts or they will be braking by the time any way. If you used good judgment or have a better deal then a less milage car is the way to go. I forgot to mention that the milage is just a number if the the car was in a good shape and have been inspected in a good way.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:02 AM
JRUBIO350

Originally Posted by dj lizard
will if you thing about it from my point of view. you will see that some of those parts you'll either replace them with after market parts or they will be braking by the time any way. If you used good judgment or have a better deal then a less milage car is the way to go. I forgot to mention that the milage is just a number if the the car was in a good shape and have been inspected in a good way.

+1.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:57 AM
glenns280

i would never buy a car with 100k+ on it, regardless how clean just my .02
Old 05-18-2010, 06:28 AM
Sammzway

Bottom line is... how much are you willing to pay? It's all about your budget. Just because a car is clean esthetically doesn't mean it won't break down. Used cars are always a shot in the dark; there really is NO WAY of knowing if your car will be flawless (mechanically). Everyone has different opinion on cars when it comes to mileage because some people feel 25gz for a Z is sufficient, others think 10gz for a Z is sufficient. If you spend 10gz to purchase a vehicle than obviously it'll be high mileage and parts will wear out sooner than later. Remember, it's all about luck when it comes to used cars and at the same time you get what you pay for.

If you like this vehicle, buy it, mod it, if it breaks down fix it and baby the car. Japanese vehicles tend to last a lot longer if you provide some TLC compared to germs and American vehicles. Good luck with the car dude.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Deedilus

Originally Posted by davidv
100,000 miles and the motor is good but what about other stuff. Original springs and dampers? Wheel bearings? You will either pay now (for a Z with less miles) or pay later (replacing worn components).

No free lunch for you.
Both have been replaced by after markets, so I don't think I have to worry about those just yet. I'm having my mechanic snoop about it today and see if everything that I can't see is in good shape.

And thanks for the opinions everybody
Old 05-18-2010, 07:42 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

DEED,

If the price is right i wouldn't worry much about it at all honestly...........Im pretty handy and do all my own installs/repairs, etc, but I would have not heartburn whatsoever buying a high mileage Z........

Check the known things along with the suspension bushings, translink bushing, etc - see my thread on how to replace it.

- check bolt heads for replacement of parts under the hood.
- check the steering rack for leaks
- wheel bearings like mentioned
- axle boots for tears
- front ball joint at bottom of spindle
- cracked compression rod bushing
- operate the windows and see if the window motors operate well
- etc..etc..

also, your in SA, there are junk yards with parts you can snag from as well...i know...lol..
-J
Old 05-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Deedilus

Everyone keeps saying that but I haven't seen one scrapyard since moving here! What do you have to do to find these things?! Hahaha

The price is definitely right, the lower the better obviously. I'm scheduling for it to be inspected by my mechanic sometime later today hopefully, early tomorrow if not. Plus to make sure that there aren't any other deals I checked out the listings and widened my search to include Austin, there's a 2007 base with 68k miles on it for $16k as well as a 2006 base with 54k miles on it for $16k, so I'm gonna check those out Thursday/Friday. Probably going to be gettin the 100k mile one though if the inspection turns out that it is in fact in perfect condition.

Last edited by Deedilus; 05-18-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:16 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

what are your goals for the car?? track, daily? etc??

-J
Old 05-18-2010, 09:41 AM
gabez33

in for location of scrap yards that have Z's in them
Old 05-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Deedilus

My goals for the car are basically daily driver with excursions to the track occasionally. When there's some heavy rain probably some drifting around my offices parking lot

And Gabez where at? I'm in between Shavano Park and Castle Hills on the north(ish?) side of SA. I just moved here so I don't really know my way around everywhere yet.

Last edited by Deedilus; 05-18-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:10 PM
dfresh713
Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Z's are super reliable cars. The '05 is the best year for the Z with the least amount of factory defects. I would never have a problem buying an '05 if it looks in good shape, just check all the standard wear items you find in a standard car and go on and have fun with it!

Last edited by dfresh713; 05-18-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:28 PM
WetDreamZZZ

Hey man I recently bought an 03 Z with 120,000 miles on it, I know what you mean about being affraid of pulling the trigger but i'm happy to say that it all worked out for me. Dont be afraid of those higher mileaged cars it just means they have more experience lol.

Quick Reply: Question about some high mileage goodness