2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Driving from SoCal to Portland Oregon

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 02:12 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving from SoCal to Portland Oregon

Is this realistic in a 350Z at this time of year? Anyone have advice or info? I don't have any snow driving experience, because I haven't even seen since I was 4.

Thank you.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:16 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

If you have the time take Hwy 1/101 all the way up. You'll never run into snow and you'll have all the twisties you could want.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:39 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

That'd be really cool. But I just read that it would get shut down sometimes due to falling rock. And then there's I-5, but it's not so scenic and has lots of big trucks.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:57 PM
longbowe

speaking of long road trips, I'm thinking of plannign something for the first weekend of Spring next year, that'd take participants from SF to SD. I've worked out the rough sketch of the stages, but if anyone else is interested in this, please contact me, because I need help with some details, as well as publicity for the event.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:36 AM
alienx

I f you have the time, take the 1. You can pitch camp in the Monterey area for the night and then do the second leg the next day.

I just took my Z to WV from NJ (about 1300 miles round trip). It was very cool. The car was comfortable, to me, all the time I was in it. And it was great to really get to oopen it up a little.

PS. I made it from Hollywood to my Parent's house in Santa Cruz one year for Christmas in about 7ish hours on the coast highway.

Last edited by alienx; 11-08-2003 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:17 AM
RainmanZ

Default HWY 101 Definately !

I have made the drive personally from Portland to San Francisco on 101.( Both ways over the years.) I have good friends in Central and southern Oregon and I love to visit San Francisco so I fly in to one or the other cities and drive to my friends home.

Beautiful views, interesting small towns and lots of twisties. Unfortunately , I did not have a 350Z then. I have also driven the interstate. It will get you there quicker, but the trip is then just an interstate ride. Most of the snow problem will be at Mount Shasta, if there is any. None on the coast.

Last year, they closed the pass at Mt Shasta just as I went thru with heavy snow falling. Needless to say it was a bit different from what I see here in Alabama.

Have a great trip.

Robert
Old 11-08-2003, 09:46 AM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>> But I just read that it would get shut down sometimes due to falling rock.

I can concur about the possiblity of falling rocks. The first time I did the drive on Hwy 1 from LA to SF was in 86', and I actually got hit by a falling rock. It put about a softball size dent in the rear quarter panel of my brand new Grand Prix. It was just bad luck, and it hasn't kept me from making the drive twice now since getting my Z last year.

>> And then there's I-5, but it's not so scenic and has lots of big trucks.

Not so scenic is an obvious understatement. Unless I really need to make the drive quickly from LA to the Bay Area, I will always take coastal route. Can't give much advice on what lies north of SF.

Leave OC early AM (like 5'ish), then have ableskievers for breakfast in Solvang. Check out the elephant seals in San Simeon, and have a late lunch in Big Sur. Take the 18 Mile drive in Carmel at Sunset, and have a nice evening dinner reflecting on the awesome drive you just had.

Last edited by Scafremon; 11-08-2003 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:38 AM
Grommit

I live in portland Oregon. What makes you want to come up here? I'm dying to move back to california myself. It's too gloomy up here and the city is tiny.

Anyways, take 101 and you will see some of the most beautiful sights on the west coast. Oh, and don't worry about the snow. There isn't any unless you go up into the cascade mountains. You will be fine. Just make sure you watch out for the wet roads though!

Also, stop by the tillamook cheese factory and pick me up a bag of their honey glazed beef jerky and stop by my place.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:55 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

101 would be fun with no snow. I've driven all sections of 1 & 101 from LA to Newport on the Oregon coast at one time or another.

I'd stick to 101 as much as I could unless you have a lot of time. Hywy 1 is really narrow & twisty in some spots in central/northern Cali.

Are you going to take the same route both ways? On the return you might want to take 101 untill south of Shasta & then swing over to I 5. Only possible snow on I5 below Shasta is the grapevine & that is rare (but you would need to check).
Old 11-08-2003, 04:11 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Thanks everyone! I knew y'all would be helpful, but I didn't expect so much information.

>> What makes you want to come up here? I'm dying to move back to california myself. It's too gloomy up here and the city is tiny.

A few good childhood friends moved up there after high school, so I was going to stop by to visit. I don't know why they moved up there as opposed to somewhere else.

>> Also, stop by the tillamook cheese factory and pick me up a bag of their honey glazed beef jerky and stop by my place.

PM your address, and I'll see what I can do
Old 11-08-2003, 05:18 PM
Loaner

I did that drive years ago straight shot in 15 hours from Oregon City to OC. I was so road drunk and caffein high when I got home, I saw road lines all night. I took I-5 all the way and it was OK until SAC through the Valley. Toyota PU and not my Z which may have changed my route.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:48 PM
jackwhale

nbdyfcnsqnc: We're actually thinking of making a 1-2 day drive to Salem, just south of Portland to look at a Subaru that we want to make into a rally car. Do you think that you would have time to stop and look at it for us?

The nice thing about hiway 5 is that you can make really good time. Hiway 1 would take a lot of time--not so much time to spend with your friend. You can take 5 and then cut over to 101 about 50 miles south of Sacto (580) and that will take you over to 101. You also get to drive through the Bay Area one of the great wonder spots on this planet. lol 101 is a nice drive through Northern CA--scenery, redwoods, winding four lane road. The road from Crescent City to Grant's Pass takes you back over to hiway 5. It's a great drive and isn't all that much longer. I always stop in Eugene--its a great town...but that's probably too far for you to spend the night there. ? 18 hrs from LA.

Be careful the political mind-set is much different than SoCal.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:38 PM
cwerdna

Question snow? highest altitude?

I've contemplated driving from WA to Nor Cal via 101 during the winter. What's the highest altitude going that way? How much snow (if any) is there typically during say mid to late December and early January? I'm a little unclear after glancing thru this thiread. If there's enough to the point where 4WD or chains are required, that pretty much ruins it for me.

I think I-5 would be out of the question as I remember going through fairly mountainous areas during the summer...
Old 11-09-2003, 04:15 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

>> I was so road drunk and caffein high when I got home, I saw road lines all night.

Wow. Something like that has happened to me, once after playing chess for 3 days, and once after playing Super Mario Bros. 3 for a few days. It sucks!

>> nbdyfcnsqnc: We're actually thinking of making a 1-2 day drive to Salem, just south of Portland to look at a Subaru that we want to make into a rally car. Do you think that you would have time to stop and look at it for us?

Hmm, I don't think I'm the right guy for that job. I've never evaluated a used car before. My brother is the car expert, but he can't go since he's in school.

>> Be careful the political mind-set is much different than SoCal.

Hehe. I've already been warned by my friends. Also, time is not a problem.