Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Pulled over for the first time last night (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 05:43 PM
Norel350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled over for the first time last night (long)

Just thought id share.

Had the car for 2 months this coming Wed, Last night me and by buddy where cruising decided to go see Elf with a few people, Pick up some people at his house, and proceed to head out the movies, he was following me in his 04 G35 coupe, going through town speed limit was 30mph.

So im driving lead, and as i pass a car on the side of the road i realise its one of Nassau County's finest, he hits his brake pedle, and his tails come on, right away i knew i was getting pulled over. I quick reach over and throw down my Passanger side vanity mirror, so my front plate is displayed in my window, the cop pulls out cuts off my buddy, almost sends him off the road.
SO the cop throws his lights on pulls me over, and my buddy pulls over behind him. The cop goes back and talks to him first, gives him crap about surrendering because he said he was speeding and so was I. He comes up to me next after my buddy basically laughs at the cop, and presents him with a plethara of PBA cards.
So at this point the cop shimmies up to my window, "Licence, Reg, and Ins. I hand him my Licence with my uncles NYPD detective PBA card, hand him my other stuff and ask him what i did wrong, we are just on our way to a movie. So the cop then says " speed limit on East Meadow Ave is 30, you where doing 42... Now to me this is some what of a shock because a block before where he was sitting i had just made a right onto the road, so there was noooo way in hell i was doing 42, The Z is fast but not that fast. And besides I have the upmost respect for driving safe in town, my belife is there is a time and place for everything, and in town is neither...
Back to the story, Cop looks over my info, says to me, "This car reg in your name?? to which i reply "yes, regesterd, insured, bought, and paid for by me" (im 21, i guess he found this odd) So at this point I think I may be in the clear, he proceedes to tell me its a beautiful car and Wished me a safe night, and to just take it easy, that they have had some complaints about cars speeding on EM ave, and enjoy the movie..

So fast foward to today, I have a family friend who is in the same Presenct that this cop was from, and turns out that basically they where under orders to pull over and flashy cars driving late at night (This was 12am) and check for drunk drivers...

SO i guess the moral of this story is that sometimes, no matter what you do, your going to get crap from the cops wheither you like it or not. It also turns out that the cop didn't have a radar gun in his car, and the speeding thing was all BS.. o well, only second time I've ever been pulled over, hopefully the last.

Last edited by Norel350Z; 11-08-2003 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:53 PM
orhanz33

good to hear he wasn't a as$ like some of the other stories i've read... can your uncle hook me up w/ a pba card or two?
Old 11-08-2003, 09:05 PM
Fast281

Cliff Notes ?
Old 11-08-2003, 09:16 PM
jimster716

Originally posted by Fast281
Cliff Notes ?
Cop pulls car over. Gives lame reasons. Won't admit to the fact that the po-po are legal henchman for the collection of government revenue while offering snide looks and backtalk based upon assumptions of owners of sports cars.

Hmmm sounds like my experience over the past 10 years. Yes Torrance ocifer, the stock supra exhaust comes with a 3" tip so get back on your bike and leave me the f#!k alone you fascist pig. Don't you have a toe-tag to write up?
Old 11-08-2003, 09:29 PM
Fast281

Originally posted by jimster716
Cop pulls car over. Gives lame reasons. Won't admit to the fact that the po-po are legal henchman for the collection of government revenue while offering snide looks and backtalk based upon assumptions of owners of sports cars.

Hmmm sounds like my experience over the past 10 years. Yes Torrance ocifer, the stock supra exhaust comes with a 3" tip so get back on your bike and leave me the f#!k alone you fascist pig. Don't you have a toe-tag to write up?
Cops suck. My 2 most BS tickets are:

1) Got pulled over and the cop gave me a ticket because my sunglasses are more than 1/2" wide on the side. Said its against the law to have them it creates a blindspot. Im like WTF ?

2) No windshield wipers. Ok its July In Southern California. WTF would i do with windshield wipers ?
Old 11-09-2003, 01:48 AM
longbowe

The most BS one I got was for not stopping a full 3 seconds at the red light before making a right turn. I did come to a full stop, I thought, but the rookie Sheriff's Deputy insisted that a full stop meant a full 3 seconds. So now that's what I tell people. It sounded BS at the time, so I figure since we're talking about BS tickets, I'd better bring it up and see if anyone knows conclusively.

BTW, this was in southern california.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:49 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Crooked cops

Pulling you over for a sobriety check under false pretenses is illegal. This is a seriously crooked cop, and if he wasunder orders it is a seriously crooked department.

The law is very specific in this area. Without probable cause they can NOT target specific people for random checks. (they could if you were swerving or something). If they want to do random checks they must be TRULY random. (ie, road block where they talk to every car, or every 2nd car, etc. )

It constantly amazes me how much time some police departments spend finding ways to circumvent the laws they are supposed to be enforcing.

Andy they wonder why public support for the police is dropping?
Old 11-10-2003, 06:18 AM
MaximumPwr

Yea I agree with AndyB. They can't pull you over for driving a flashy car. That is illegal. They have to have probable cause. Like swerving, which you were not, speeding, which you were not, or no license plate, which you have on your visor but was not pulled down at the time. But the cop did not say he pulled you over for that. That cop was full of B.S. You should of gotten his badge number and called his precinct the next day and made a formal complaint. If you had just turned onto the street a block before the cop and you were doing 30mph, then you were probably still in 2nd gear or just about to shift to 3rd. Oh and not to flame ya, but I don't know about your Z but mine gets to 40mph pretty darn quick. But like you said, you were basically just cruising and not getting on it.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:20 AM
jj1814

Originally posted by Fast281

2) No windshield wipers. Ok its July In Southern California. WTF would i do with windshield wipers ?

*singing* It never rains in southern cali-fornia ?

I swear all summer long...as soon as it finished raining out there, we got all your crap here in Ohio. (My ex lives in West Covina).

Anyway...I hope the cop gave u the no wiper ticket when he gave u the other ticket...cuz I cant fathom how you would get PULLED OVER for no wipers.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:50 AM
MaximumPwr

Funny little story. A friend of mine like 8 years ago had a CRX SI. It was pretty fixed up. Car was lowered about 1". He installed foglights because for some reason foglights were extremely popular back then. The car actually looked very good. Anyways, he was pumping gas and a cop pulled into the gas station and parks by him while he is pumping gas. The cop comes over and says his foglights are illegal because they are to low. This happened in Pearland Texas. It is near Houston and at this time it was not nearly as populated as it is now. The police have nothing to do, obviously. So anyways my buddy is losing it, but trying to hold his temper. He wanted to see the law in writing, but the cop ignored him. So anyways, the cop finally runs his drivers license and he had a traffic warrant for not showing up for court on some ticket. So the way I saw it, he went to jail for his foglights being to low which I think is a made up law, while pumping gas, not even driving, car was towed, and on it all happened on private property. He got royally screwed. And this all happened in the middle of the day too.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:53 AM
MaximumPwr

Oh yea, but I think the made up windshield wiper law might beat the low foglight law. But the sunglasses being to wide ............WTF!!! There are people out there killing, raping, stealing, and this cop was worried about your sunglasses being to wide. Once again, ...........WTF!!!!
Old 11-10-2003, 11:34 AM
RJW0501

Any cops on this forum care to give your 2 cents worth?
Old 11-10-2003, 01:30 PM
corsair

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cops do whatever they want, whenever they want. it's all a big power trip. Arizona is the worst state I have ever lived in when it comes to the police.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:41 PM
Turcoupe

Default Re: Crooked cops

Originally posted by AndyB
Pulling you over for a sobriety check under false pretenses is illegal. This is a seriously crooked cop, and if he wasunder orders it is a seriously crooked department.

The law is very specific in this area. Without probable cause they can NOT target specific people for random checks. (they could if you were swerving or something). If they want to do random checks they must be TRULY random. (ie, road block where they talk to every car, or every 2nd car, etc. )

It constantly amazes me how much time some police departments spend finding ways to circumvent the laws they are supposed to be enforcing.

Andy they wonder why public support for the police is dropping?
Absolutely correct. My friend got a DWI in his 2000 Integra Type R this past summer. He was pulled over becasue they were had a Sobriety checkpoint set up and he didn't see it coming. Anyways, he goes to court for it about 5-6 weeks later with an attorney that his dad recommened (his dad is a tax lawyer). He got the DWI charge completely thrown out (not plea bargained to a lesser offense) due to the fact that the police dept. doing the check did not meet the requirements for doing a checkpoint on that particular road. In NJ, a police dept. has to be able to prove that they previously met a list of requirements (i.e. known spot for accidents, DWI's, etc.) before setting up a sobriety checkpoint. The funny part is, my friend said the other people there that were being charged with DWI from that same checkpoint still got charged with it...(lol). I guess either they didn't have lawyers who knew about this clause or didn't have representation at all.

I am not condoning drinking and driving
Old 11-10-2003, 03:52 PM
zpylot

Default Re: Re: Crooked cops

Originally posted by Turcoupe
In NJ, a police dept. has to be able to prove that they previously met a list of requirements (i.e. known spot for accidents, DWI's, etc.) before setting up a sobriety checkpoint.
Had your friend been drinking and driving? If so, this is exactly what is wrong with the legal system. So a bunch of people have to cause accidents and possibly kill others so a checkpoint can be setup? Mmmmm. That's just wrong. Besides, if he was driving drunk then he was driving drunk. Irregardless if he was in an area where other people do it.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:54 PM
Turcoupe

Default Re: Re: Re: Crooked cops

Originally posted by zpylot
Had your friend been drinking and driving? If so, this is exactly what is wrong with the legal system. So a bunch of people have to cause accidents and possibly kill others so a checkpoint can be setup? Mmmmm. That's just wrong. Besides, if he was driving drunk then he was driving drunk. Irregardless if he was in an area where other people do it.
I didn't say it was right, just that it happened. I think the legislation was put there for a reason. The idea is to prevent police departments from making arrests with little or no probable cause. You know the whole "Slippery Slope" concept. I knkow a lot of people including about 3 other frineds who got nailed with DWI's and they didn't get off. The only reason my friend got off is becasue his lawyer was the man. To make you feel better, his lawyer fees were $7,000. Then again the kid is loaded as he is driving a 1991' mint Acura NSX now and is only 21....
Old 11-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Grimtek

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago hahaha.. dang cops
Old 11-10-2003, 08:12 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I THOUGHT cops were allowed to guesstimate a cars speed, tho it wont hold up in court, he can pull you over saying you were speeding, giving him probable cause to see if you were drinking, but they cant write a ticket on it.

they can tail you for a certain distance to get your speed without radar as well.

I do no doubt you managed to hit 41mph in a block tho... I personally tried the defense before in a huge truck where they said I got up to 69mph in a pretty short distance. needless to say in that distance I thought was short I could have hit 120 in the Z.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:28 PM
nychotcop

Originally posted by rjw0501
Any cops on this forum care to give your 2 cents worth?
So heres a guy and his buddy who have family on the "job", and those nice PBA cards in their pockets. He gets pulled over and claims he was totally obeying the law ( but he cant tell you how fast he was going..because he doesnt know..so how does he know he wasnt speeding??) So what I am saying is this may not have been a bogus stop..regardless of what his "friend" in the precinct says.

What really gets me here is that the cop doesnt give you a ticket because of your uncles PBA card and you want to come here and smear cops. If you knew how fast you were going your story would have more credibility ..but since you dont..and he said you were speeding..I am going to say thats what you were doing. I would guess you got that PBA card to save your butt because you break the law when you drive sometimes..otherwise you wouldnt need it..right?? That cop did you a big favor and let you get off without a ticket...he respected your uncles PBA card and this is what he gets for it.

I know some people in that precinct too...maybe you wont be getting any more favors ..then you would have something to really complain about.

Last edited by nychotcop; 11-10-2003 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:56 PM
jimster716

Originally posted by nychotcop
So heres a guy and his buddy who have family on the "job", and those nice PBA cards in their pockets. He gets pulled over and claims he was totally obeying the law ( but he cant tell you how fast he was going..because he doesnt know..so how does he know that??) So what I am saying is this may not have been a bogus stop..regardless of what his "friend" in the precinct says.

What really gets me here is that the cop doesnt give you a ticket because of your uncles PBA card and you want to come here and smear cops. If you knew how fast you were going your story would have more credibility ..but since you dont..and he said you were speeding..I am going to say thats what you were doing. I would guess you got that PBA card to save your butt because you break the law when you drive sometimes..otherwise you wouldnt need it..right??

I know some people in that precinct too...maybe you wont be getting any more favors ..then you would have something to really complain about.
Why can't we get a piece of the special favor pie? Cops live by the "professional courtesy" commandment, even when covering their own asses...need i mention Abner Louima or Rodney King.

I've had my experiences with cops and as a 31 year old adult, I know the smartass cop who just pulled me over neither has the education nor years of professional experience that I have. Cops tend to be "ex-military now i need to do something in line with that" living in a blind world of duty macho bs with a control freak mentality or some person who is a legacy of generations of cops. I understand the psychology of it all, cops deal with the dregs of society lying to their face trying to plead out while spending little if no time in jail...yet they tarnish the badge everyday when they treat every person as if they were the lying coked up junkie they encountered earlier. I honestly don't give a rat's *** about any cop...I've had enough personal encounters laced with accusations and innuendo from different cops to know these fools forgot that Protect & Serve means to the community at large without prejudice.

Quick Reply: Pulled over for the first time last night (long)