Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Jesus, I swear the 350Z has the worlds hardest to deal with dip stick

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Escobar

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by MTB350z
this whole thread is a "thats what she said" moment...
No $hit! haha
Old 07-27-2010, 06:15 PM
diablox1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-27-2010, 07:47 PM
omsin523

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zion
How'd u do that?
lol i was joking
Old 07-28-2010, 07:14 AM
LollerShakes

I actually sealed that hole completely and ran the dipstick to the other side. Much easier to access and it comes out right near the battery. I will post a pic, to show you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKqgC_BR_pA
Old 07-28-2010, 07:44 AM
trodis
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by JJ350
It's un-****in believable. I swear, every time I touch that thing, I think that I'm doing something wrong. It's just so hard to take out, and so hard to put back in even on a bright *** day you still need a flashlight to spot where your supposed to stick it in. Heck even the design of the dip stick its self sucks, it's so long, thin, and wobbly and its nearly impossible to be accurate with it. I hate it, my only true complaint about the 350Z.
That's what she said....

edit - dammit someone beat me to it.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Romanteni

Originally Posted by JJ350
It's un-****in believable. I swear, every time I touch that thing, I think that I'm doing something wrong. It's just so hard to take out, and so hard to put back in even on a bright *** day you still need a flashlight to spot where your supposed to stick it in. Heck even the design of the dip stick its self sucks, it's so long, thin, and wobbly and its nearly impossible to be accurate with it. I hate it, my only true complaint about the 350Z.
Dude... when you were writing this, sounds like you're quoting your GF almost the whole time, just you know, not about the same topic. Did she write this for you? Really seems to know what she's talking about! haha

jk
Old 07-28-2010, 08:18 PM
TRAVONthePHENOM

I did my own oil change the other day and whe I pulled the pan plug and filter only 2qts. drained,I continued to fill the engine with the recommended 5qts. and now the car seems to have a sluggish torque pull from about 3k-6k and the oil psi dash gauge is always pegged to the far right when before it was usually in the middle somewhere and fluctuated with acceleration. Does anyone have any infor or advice on what could be an issue if any,do I need to drain some oil even though I put the recommended amount in? Of course I cant really tell b/c the dipstick is impossible to read correctly and is always covered in oil 3/4 of the way up it. Any info or suggestions are appreciated,thanks...
Old 07-28-2010, 09:15 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What year of Z do you have and is this car new to you??? I wonderif you are having a issue with the VQ burning excessive amounts of oil ( known issue), you did replace the oil filter, right. I usually before I sleep at night wipe the oil dipstick clean a couple of times & then 1st thing in the morning before starting her up I again check the oil level. I am curious to know just how much oil you have in your Z. Keep us posted.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:23 AM
GIANNI

Put some hair oround the whole makes it slide in better haha
Old 07-30-2010, 06:29 AM
350zion
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by omsin523
lol i was joking
I kno man I kno.... If ppl are having trouble puttin the dip stick back in and thats their biggest complaint then maybe they should jus stop there cause it gets a lot harder .. Take ur car to jiffy ***** and have them do it, thro ya self under a bus and give up on life... IMO...
Old 07-30-2010, 09:14 PM
TRAVONthePHENOM

I have an 03 6mt enthusiast,i've owned the car since march 2009 and just had the motor replaced in may b/c the original blew up at 69k from a timing chain malfunction that caused the chain to tighten so much that it ground the teeth on the cam gears and all the metal shavings plugged up the oil ports and then BOOM! The motor I have in it was a used one shipped from Cali that has 48k on it now(44k when installed) I dont seem to have any oil burning issues with it,and I know what youre talking about b/c my old motor had it bad! I had to put in 2qts. every 100-200 miles! I just dont understand how the car only drained out 2qts but the psi gauge was reading normal and it drove/sounded perfect. this was the first oil change since the motor wqas replaced btw,and I changed the filter and oil both. I refilled it with 5qts. but it seems to be running sluggish now but not too bad,just a loss in acceleration that is noticeable. I might try doing another change and see what happens but,its been a week and nothing bad has happened(yet)and i'm wondering if it has more than 5qts. in it right now?
Old 07-31-2010, 04:04 AM
350zion
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jus look at your dip stick and see Wat its showing that's the first thing I'd check if you have too much oil you'll probably be able to see there and then drain it accordingly
Originally Posted by TRAVONthePHENOM
I have an 03 6mt enthusiast,i've owned the car since march 2009 and just had the motor replaced in may b/c the original blew up at 69k from a timing chain malfunction that caused the chain to tighten so much that it ground the teeth on the cam gears and all the metal shavings plugged up the oil ports and then BOOM! The motor I have in it was a used one shipped from Cali that has 48k on it now(44k when installed) I dont seem to have any oil burning issues with it,and I know what youre talking about b/c my old motor had it bad! I had to put in 2qts. every 100-200 miles! I just dont understand how the car only drained out 2qts but the psi gauge was reading normal and it drove/sounded perfect. this was the first oil change since the motor wqas replaced btw,and I changed the filter and oil both. I refilled it with 5qts. but it seems to be running sluggish now but not too bad,just a loss in acceleration that is noticeable. I might try doing another change and see what happens but,its been a week and nothing bad has happened(yet)and i'm wondering if it has more than 5qts. in it right now?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:13 AM
n8dog11914

Just had the same problem man. I drained a bit over a half gallon and then put in 5 qrts on the refill! Makes no sense. And yes, the dip stick was no help when I pulled it out it was way over filled. Not sure if it's worth it to drain out some more oil. 03 Touring
Old 08-02-2010, 07:21 AM
n8dog11914

Just had the same problem man. I drained a bit over a half gallon and then put in 5 qrts on the refill! Makes no sense. And yes, the dip stick was no help when I pulled it out it was way over filled. Not sure if it's worth it to drain out some more oil. 03 Touring
Old 08-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Sylvia Zcarr

If the oil is frothy after running the engine - it is too high and contacting the crank.
Drain and ensure it is only 5 qts/full.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:08 AM
TheWan

hmmm.... maybe that's why nissan put the engine oil psi dash... cuz even they couldn't check it. they were like f*** it, just get in the car and read the dash. XD
Old 08-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Ghalleo

Originally Posted by TheWan
hmmm.... maybe that's why nissan put the engine oil psi dash... cuz even they couldn't check it. they were like f*** it, just get in the car and read the dash. XD
lmao!!
Old 08-09-2010, 03:48 PM
chitownpete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The worst dipstick on any of the 14 cars Ive owned. I dont trust its accuracy.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:04 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I'm going to have to concur. Out of all the cars I've owned, the Z's dipstick is the worst. Well, the one in my Frontier is pretty bad too, but that's because I'm not tall enough to pull the thing out without dripping oil everywhere.

The Z's dipstick always freezes up in there, drips oil everywhere(including on the air intake pipe) when you pull it out, and the little twist motion you have to make when removing or inserting kind of sucks. I don't know about you guys, but I spend a good amount of time detailing my engine bay. The extra little oil spill is not my most favorable thing...
Old 08-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All Nissan 6 cyl motors have bad accuracy readings. I just throw in 5 qts and call it a day. Never even touch the sticks.

Quick Reply: Jesus, I swear the 350Z has the worlds hardest to deal with dip stick