Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Base 350Z worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 05:40 AM
Different One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base 350Z worth it?

Hello everyone, I've been around the forums for a while but mostly just for observing purposes. I've done a search on repeated occasions but still come up with few answers beneficial to my questions on the 350Z (base model)...
I'm considering the 350Z and the RSX-S as my next daily driver and wondered if the Z is *worth it*

I realize that these are two very different cars but I love the new Z and wanted to make sure that the car is practical enough for DD purporses. I'm still in college so the car would be used mostly for just zipping around town and what not but would still need to be functional during the winter monthes (reliability of RWD in light snow...if any) Another factor that I take into account is the lack of an LSD because I do plan on modding either car

-J
Old 11-12-2003, 06:00 AM
SlamMan

If you plan on modifying get a trim level higher than base. Unless you plan on upgrading the rear differential.

Your gonna need snow tires to drive in the snow but I would still avoid it.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:31 AM
BILL T
Charter Member #61

I use cruise control a lot and 'sure it has saved me from getting many tickets. Base doesn't have cruise and as the Z doesnt' have a mechanical linkage from gas pedal to motor I'm not sure it could be easily added. IMO opt up to the next trim level.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:43 AM
kbomb

Get the BASE!!! Who cares about cruise control. Its a sports car...not a cruiser..The car was meant to be driven. Besides,,cruise control stops at 80mph or so I think..could be a lil off. LSD u can upgrade later but rarely miss it if u never used it.

I have a base...the only thing I miss is the HIDS. Are u living on campus or commute and how far? I suggest winter tires but if u can, crash at a friend's house nearby school or on campus.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:56 AM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Base Model all the way . I don't need cruise control, and you get the same engine as the top of the line model!

Bat™
Old 11-12-2003, 08:02 AM
matt

damn...how do all you college guys afford Z's? I'm in debt from tuition loans...

oh, well. one day...
Old 11-12-2003, 08:13 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

In answer to your question... Base Z or RSX Type-S?

Go with the Base Z. Without question. Well, reliability wise, I might recommend the Type-S (as there are problems that the Z has to iron out), but the sheer power, attention, aesthetics, etc. that the Z garners would definitely be selling points.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:09 AM
buzzdsm

Picked up a used enthusiast. The traction control (in the winter), cruise, LSD are just the main difference there are other small differences. For example I would sell you my enthusiast for $26K and it only has 8K miles.

I'd hate to have this car in college if I didn't have a garage though. I'd always be worrying about people messing with it. Although you should be able to pick up a lot of trim in the Z.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:11 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by buzzdsm
Although you should be able to pick up a lot of trim in the Z.
Now that is a term that I haven't heard in a long time.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:53 AM
zlove

Hey I have my Base model at college (sitting on the street----safe as of yet and I get a lot of complements)!
I commute back home on the weekends and it is a great daily driver.
As far as the winter comming up, I might bring my old Blazer out of commision or my girlfriend might start driving here Camry up.

I drove both the RSX and the Z before buying----GET THE Z!!!!

Oh yeah and have you ever tried sitting in the back of the RSX for more than 5 minutes? Yeah well do your passengers a favor and try it out first.....not too comfortable.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Jsn350Z

The RSX does not compare in any way whatsoever at all to the Z. 100% different cars.

" as there are problems that the Z has to iron out " Most of those problems are ironed out for 2004.

I have herd the RSX has some reliability issues as well? Is this true, havnt herd much about it.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:24 AM
kzshin

Z, no doubt
Old 11-12-2003, 11:35 AM
DruDragzOn

Base Z, no doubt. I drove a minivan before this and drove it in the snow. I have a base Z now and I don't miss any of the fancy gadgets the higher trim level offer except HID's which I got an aftermarket one.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:46 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Base Z. The RWD, better suspension, and top notch V6 will reward you much more after an all-night craming session than the RSX. The Base is the lightest, most mod-friendly Z to buy and looks damn cooler than the RSX. The next trim levels up net you a little more versatility for traction with the VLSD and VDC, but, if you're going for a daily driver over performance then I would say the understeering pig of a RSX is more practical with its FWD and rear seat. The joy of the Z lies in the absence of practicality for the sake of performance.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:51 AM
Different One

Hmm, the Z is sounding better and better! I've driven the RSX before and it's a peppy little 4 cylinder but as someone already mentioned, the backseats in that car are highly uncomfortable. As far as reliability goes, I haven't really heard of many complaints about either car....with the exception of the Z's blind spots and only being a 2 seater (but I guess I could live with that as well)
I appreciated everyones imput and please, keep the comments coming! I guess if it got really bad around here (seldom does though) I could always go back to driving my current car for the winter months

-J
Old 11-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Beamm

I'm a grad student and looked at Z, RSX-S and Mini Cooper S. Went with base Z because I didn't want to have the issues or deal with the BMW service that you get with the Mini Cooper (I just don't have the time right now to deal with that). So it was between Z and RSX. First, DO go sit in the back of an RSX. I wouldn't put people back there because of how the rear glass slopes. In an accident there's a good chance that the rear passengers might snap their heads into the hatch glass since there is no headrest (also problem for whiplash). I also have no use for backseat. I do miss HID and auto tint mirror, but I didn't have them in my last car and I can always get them added so no biggie. As for lack of LSD, whatever. If you're gonna mod the car just learn how to drive it better so you can put the power on the road (and in reality how often are you goign to actually use ALL of that power). Also, it is a sports car and not a cruiser...I almsot never use cruise so I don't miss it here. Get the base...I think it's totally worth it.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:05 PM
Different One

Originally posted by Beamm
I'm a grad student and looked at Z, RSX-S and Mini Cooper S. Went with base Z because I didn't want to have the issues or deal with the BMW service that you get with the Mini Cooper (I just don't have the time right now to deal with that). So it was between Z and RSX. First, DO go sit in the back of an RSX. I wouldn't put people back there because of how the rear glass slopes. In an accident there's a good chance that the rear passengers might snap their heads into the hatch glass since there is no headrest (also problem for whiplash). I also have no use for backseat. I do miss HID and auto tint mirror, but I didn't have them in my last car and I can always get them added so no biggie. As for lack of LSD, whatever. If you're gonna mod the car just learn how to drive it better so you can put the power on the road (and in reality how often are you goign to actually use ALL of that power). Also, it is a sports car and not a cruiser...I almsot never use cruise so I don't miss it here. Get the base...I think it's totally worth it.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I have sat in the back seat of the RSX and the seats are unbelievabliy tiny, and all the small things like auto tint, HIDs, and cruise control aren't on my current car so it's not like i'd miss them....I don't plan on making many long overnghters out of town and I hardly ever use my back seats now unless I have the need to carry others around with me so the Base Z does seem to be the choice to go with! Thanks for all of your help guys, hopefully I'll post back in a few months with pics of my new car

-J
Old 11-12-2003, 05:14 PM
alex30327

Does a bear shiit in the woods?
Old 11-12-2003, 10:17 PM
xray2

Get a used enthusiast from someone here, no BASE!!! HID + TCS, but what is really missing is the differential. For the cost difference, you'll never feel right.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:19 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

Originally posted by Beamm
Hey, grad student from UM here as well!
I got the base 350Z because i didn't have enough money to spend on an enthusiast. Anyway, that's not the point. The point is i don't miss cruise control, i had barely used it in my other car, the only reason i used it was to play around when i was bored. I missed the sunroof from my old car, but realized it's not something i needed, even though i live in the "Sunshine State", it is something i can live without. TCS & VSD, sure it would have been nice to get, but you can't have everything and you have to make sacrifices. LSD, you can always get aftermarket, so that's not a problem. HID, i have them on my Z, cost me $350. Leather, you can add later.
My brother, on the other hand, has an RSX Type S. His car is really nice, i like it, it has leather seats, nice 6-speed transmission, handles very well, sunroof, cruise control, rear seats, good quality car and the reliability of Honda.
In the end, i take my car over his because:
a. I like the way the 350Z looks more than the RSX
b. The 350Z has more power, if you want to start from scratch, might as well start from 287hp rather than 200hp
c. I wanted a rear wheel drive car

I drive my car to school on a daily basis, for me, it is practical. I don't have to drive friends around, if we ever need to go somewhere, we can just take someone else's car. It takes me from point A to point B, same as the RSX, but the trip is a lot more fun But we don't have snow down here in Miami, so you might wanna check the other threads regarding that, especially since you won't have the TCS, which can only help you so much when it is snowing.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Base 350Z worth it?