Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter is coming soon in MN...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:25 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by LollerShakes
Yeah your Rear Wheel Drive in the 60's 70's and 80's were also Tanks, and Did not have the Horsepower/Weight Ratio the 350z has. Nor did you have sport clutches, the snow tires have got better, and so have the drivetrains/suspensions, but Why risk hurting your baby, go buy a 800 dollar p.o.s and keep your beauty where she belongs.......The Kitchen and the Garage j/kin bout the Kitchen
Actually, the cars in the 60's and 70's weren't tanks. My SS396 had 350 hp and I think the weight was about 3200 lbs. It had more horsepower per pound than the Z. The weight distribution was no where near as good as the Z however, with probably 65% of the weight on the front wheels. I also had an Austin Healey Sprite that had ground clearance about the same as the Z. Of course, that car only had 50 hp but it only weighed about 1300 lbs. I also had a 914 Porsche in 1970 and it did quite well in the snow. And believe it or not, we did have sport clutches at that time. I do agree that snow tires have gotten better and so have the suspensions. That would mean a modern Z should work better in the snow that the cars of old. And I do have snow tires for the Z. They are Dunlop Graspic DS-2 tires mounted on ASA wheels.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:04 PM
ridered929rr

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Drove mine all winter long in PA (I live on the side of a mountain with a 30 minute commute) and had no problems running on non-snow tires. The worst part of driving in the winter was my front bumper it got all pitted up from the rock salt (thanks for the high quality paint Nissan).

The only other issue I had was the lack of ground clearance.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Hi cityslick43… I am also in Minnesota, and I’ve owned Z’s since 2003, and drive my Z all year around. The Z handles snow and ice very well if you mount the proper tires for the current driving conditions.

For Minnesota winters, I run four Dunlop Graspic DS-2 studeless tires. I run all-square (225/55-17” on all corners) to allow rotating the tires, and that works OK on my VDC equipped 350z. The factory OEM 17” wheel sizes are 225/50-17” front and 235/50-17” rear.

It’s less costly to run a dedicated wheel/tire setup since this saves the cost of mounting tires on the same wheels spring and fall.

… Cannot believe I have yet another opportunity to post pictures of winter tires, but since you mention it, here they are:

That’s a 2003 Z that has seen winter duty for 7 years. I am aware that some people recommend running a winter “beater,” but I have no interest driving around in a cheap Honda Civic with lots of mileage and rust. I love driving the Z, and I see no reason to garage the car NOV-MAR. I bought the car so that I could drive it, and its fun to drive in the winter as well as warmer months.

--Spike
Old 09-20-2010, 04:55 AM
Indyzed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
Hi cityslick43… I am also in Minnesota, and I’ve owned Z’s since 2003, and drive my Z all year around. The Z handles snow and ice very well if you mount the proper tires for the current driving conditions.

For Minnesota winters, I run four Dunlop Graspic DS-2 studeless tires. I run all-square (225/55-17” on all corners) to allow rotating the tires, and that works OK on my VDC equipped 350z. The factory OEM 17” wheel sizes are 225/50-17” front and 235/50-17” rear.

It’s less costly to run a dedicated wheel/tire setup since this saves the cost of mounting tires on the same wheels spring and fall.

… Cannot believe I have yet another opportunity to post pictures of winter tires, but since you mention it, here they are:

That’s a 2003 Z that has seen winter duty for 7 years. I am aware that some people recommend running a winter “beater,” but I have no interest driving around in a cheap Honda Civic with lots of mileage and rust. I love driving the Z, and I see no reason to garage the car NOV-MAR. I bought the car so that I could drive it, and its fun to drive in the winter as well as warmer months.

--Spike

Nice winter set-up!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:57 AM
PatrickGies

yes, winter is coming to wisconsin as well. which a lot like MN, spring and winter are really the only two seasons here... occasionally we do get a heat flash ah ah, but it only last a week or two.

But i am lucky enough to have a sunfire that i can use for a winter car, so i have to wait and wait for spring.

However, keeps the miles low and gives me a chance to add little things here and there.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:30 AM
cityslick43

Thanks everyone! buying some new winter tires
Old 10-21-2010, 07:28 PM
WhiteNoiz

Just want to +1 on don't put weight in the back. From what I have read, it totally throws off the cars balance, and it handles worse in the snow. (from reading a million of snow threads since I bought the Z)

This will be my fourth winter with the Z. I run all seasons. If I had the cash I would buy a winter tire set. Ive heard that makes a world of difference. I've also tossed around the beater idea. If I lived in MN, where the winters suck b@lls, I would get one or the other. Idaho winters (in Boise) aren't that bad for the most part. Snow doesnt usually stick around for long. When there is ice/snow on the road, just do everything very very slow. Literally, you have enough power to kill yourself/car at any time. I really don't think the 350 handles much worse than most other RWD cars. Heck Ive spun backwards down a steep hill in my first RWD car (toyota starlet). Just drive to the conditions...you don't want to damage your baby.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:48 AM
cityslick43

Yes I plan on driving in the Winter, I was wondering who can do a shield for the bottom of the car some sort of spray to protect from salt and stuff.. I bought 4 Contiental m3 sport WINTER TIRES (Contiwinter) Tires 245/40r/18 and got them for $230 best deal ever 75% tread on them should get me through winter..
Old 10-27-2010, 08:34 AM
MaelstrØm

I just put together a package of Winterforce with studs on 225/50R17 and there should be no problems. I drove a much more powerful RWD car in the snow for several years prior to the 350z, and it was just fine until the snow became so deep it caught the bottom of the vehicle. At that point, no tires will save you.