Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Would it be stupid to buy one of these for delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 06:36 PM
pbmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would it be stupid to buy one of these for delivery?

Okay, so heres my situation, I very sincerely apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but I didn't know if I should put this in buying since its more of a car related question.

I currently work full time delivering (I'm 19) in addition to going to college full time. Between work and school I have basically no free time, and I've pretty much given up all of my hobbies. I currently work full time delivering pizza and speeding like hell around my delivery zone is the only fun I get to have on a weekly basis, we give the cops free pizza . My current car (1996 Honda Civic I bought for $2k) is boring as **** to drive and I've saved up enough money to get a new car.

I drove a 2005 350z 6 speed manual a few weeks ago and I must say, it was fun as hell. Handling was awesome, acceleration was amazing, and V6 is so unbelievably sexy. My question is this: Would it be dumb to buy a 350z (looking for one around 50k to 75k miles) and be able to drive it at work? I'm not really looking to have one car for work and one car for leisure, as that would be kind of dumb at this point in life (financially at least).

I put about 30k miles on a car a year, would the maintenance costs and the mileage become too much of a problem from driving it roughly 600 miles a week? I have no problem with getting oil changes and a check up every 5-8k miles. Would the 350z not be a good car for constant use? Almost all of these miles are going to be city driven, so its not like I'm going to be pushing it past 100 all the time, or flying down the high way at all hours. The fastest I drive at work generally is about 65-75, but most of the time I'm going about 55.

Several other drivers have used Nissans for delivery and they've said that they've been reliable. One guy I knew blew his Altima's engine out and had a bunch of problems with it afterwards, but how common of a problem is that? I'm also not really worried about gas mileage either, it gets good enough.

Last edited by pbmaster; 09-13-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:54 PM
derekinthez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the Honda to do your delivery work -- drive your Z if, and when, you get some free time. Driving your Z full-time for delivery will lead to your Z's depreciation and condition. Who wants to ride around in a beat up 350z. Just my opinion.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Ix350xI

I don't know what to tell you man, I always like to tell people to do what they want but it seems like you would be just working your *** off just to pay for gas and insurance (God knows how much that's going to be if your going to have the insurance under your name, your 19). Another factor is that your looking for a Z with 75k on it and u drive 30k a year, not to mention it seems like u have a heavy foot and u might just have a little too much fun delivering pizza in a Z. But then again, do you.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:55 PM
SilverFox006

Do it!
Old 09-13-2010, 07:01 PM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're driving a car for a living right now, why would you not want it to be the best car you can afford?

Man did not build cars to be looked at. Buy it. Drive it. Love it.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:08 PM
SoldzMyZ

Also, note that the Z gets bad mileage especially in stop and go. IMO keep the civic, finish school, get a good job, get Z (or other sports car).
Old 09-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Skv012a

IF gas/maintenance won't be an issue for you, I'd say go for it. Be that one classy delivery boy. Z can teach you what a Civic never will and with the mileage you'll be doing, you'll get plenty of practice. I'd also suggest getting something cheaper, but still RWD like a 240 or maybe an MR2 and then step up to the 350.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Augustus46

Do it! Life is too short to drive something that you don't enjoy. If you can afford it and it doesn't add extra stress. I'm in the same boat, but I hope next year I'll be done with school.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:56 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Delivery using a Privately Owned Vehicle (POV) is bad news.

AAA estimates costs between 35.4 to 86.8 cents/mile. For 600 miles/week that is $212-$521/week. Of course the cost does not seem that high because the only immediate cost is gas. Not until later will you pay costs such as tires.

Costs running the 350Z with 290 horsepower will be on the high end: $512/week.

Reference: http://www.aaaexchange.com/Assets/Fi...gCosts2009.pdf
Old 09-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Skv012a

Well, IF the pizza place covers gas... that's great practice opportunity.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:47 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The kid that delivers pizza to my house drives an Evo X.

*applies for Round Table*
Old 09-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Twista89

Man I hated being a delivery guy...I mean the money was good but the problems that it gave my car was hell...I had a grand am for 5 years and never did I have so many problems with my car until I started being a pizza delivery guy. All those start ups and mileage just broke one part after another and I know I def wouldnt want to have to deal with that stuff on a 350z...Soon as I stoped being a delivery driver my car went back to normal as well lol....Ive been reading up on the problems the 350z have and I dont know if I would want to have delivery driving speed up or cause something to go wrong on it...
Old 09-13-2010, 09:25 PM
BillytheKid

get this
Attached Thumbnails Would it be stupid to buy one of these for delivery?-32055110080_large.jpg  
Old 09-13-2010, 10:09 PM
youngflyer

im a dominos manager/driver, i used to deliver full time in a modified scion tc and still occasionally deliver in the Z (2 nights a week). While delivering part time in it is not that bad, full time 30k miles a year will rip it to shreds. My tc never gave me any issues until i started to deliver in it. If you deliver for a major pizza shop, most pay for gas however in a Z you will not be profiting for the gas mileage they give you, you will just about break even. I put $10 in the Z and that would barely last me a night delivering, i put 10 in my brother in laws beater tercel and that would last me 2-3 days! Trust me if your going to school, wait til your out of school to buy a car. Dont get caught in a situation where your obligations/debts keep you from getting your school work done! Ive been there and done that and im paying for it now!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:41 AM
natedogg713

Default Dont do it

im 18 years old and i have a z. i love it to death and its my prized possesion. ill be hoenst it was a gift. i HATE driving it daily. my car is not modded but feeling like a commuter sucks every time i get in my car, constantly watching my gas milaege etc. im a cheap bast*rd and hate paying for things more than i have to. (opportunity costs) when i get in my car i dont wana worry about anything but how good it feels to drive it. if you wanna mix work and pleasure buy a 240. (i wish i had one, its just not the right time in my life for a z) parts are cheap and abundant. and youll get good gas milaege (like said before the z sucks in stop and go)
Old 09-14-2010, 05:47 AM
NewJoyZ

Or get a new job.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:55 AM
last letter

My daily commute is 80 miles total (mostly highway), at first it was fun and awesome but then tires are munched, your filling up every 2 days, it starts to seem like oil changes are monthly ect ect. You might break even if you don't have a lot of other bills but it does get expensive. Gas mileage in the city also sucks, it can get down to 15 mpg.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:50 AM
SilentMed

I know your probably already framiliar with your car smelling like old pizza, but do you want someone to get in a Z and smell mushrooms from last week?
I thought about doing delivery at one point to make some extra cash to work on my Z, but in the long run it just puts a lot of extra strain on the vehicle, and leaking grease through a pizza box on my leather seats was a seller for me.
IMO keep the Z for the sunny day when your free, and can really enjoy it.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:16 AM
F34RL355
Banned

i say get it man, if you do the math its a no brainer... the Z is faster so you will deliver more pizzas in the same time u would in your civic. the z will pay itself off in no time plus it will be more fun
Old 09-14-2010, 09:39 AM
SA Z-boi

Keep the civic!!! Its already payed off, insurance is cheap and it gets good gas mileage.

If you pick up a z your insurance will go up due to it being a 2 door sports car and your age of course. Gas mileage is not the best and our cars require premium gas. You will most likely have a car payment. In my opinion the z is not the greatest car to be driving around in all day.

Last edited by SA Z-boi; 09-14-2010 at 09:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Would it be stupid to buy one of these for delivery?