Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My impressions so far

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 03:35 AM
ATL350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My impressions so far

Well, I picked up my Chrome Silver Touring 6spd last Thursday night from Gwinnett Place Nissan (VIN 100951 I think?, I'll double-check) and immediately had to leave for the weekend. Since I refused to buy the car and then break the motor in on a long trip, I was given a loaner. I can tell you that I was more or less "spaced out" during my trip as my mind always wandered back to "I wonder how that thing really drives?" and "how early can I get out of here?". Thankfully, I got back to my Z Sunday evening.

Monday I spent driving through the hills in North Georgia to see how the car works. I can tell you that I absolutely love this car. Although I am VERY anxious to get past the break-in so I can apply the power, driving mountain roads is still a thrill due to the effortless handling. I didn't get anywhere near 10/10ths so I am not sure about the understeer that magazines are talking about, but at slightly less adventurous speeds the car handles as though it isn't even working at all. No bodyroll, and cornering over rough sections is suprisingly stable.

I am quite pleased with the construction up to this point. Everything appears to be in place and nothing rattles now after 300mi. To get this car I traded in my Lexus IS300 and I am impressed with the fit of all the interior parts. The interior is definitely not up to par as far as materials go, but it is nicely and securely done. Also, I have the same old gripes about the rear visibility, the horrendous Bose stereo (and I mean horrendous, Nissan should be embarassed), and the placement of the seat warmer switches. Also, I am a little concerned about the fact that the windows do not have a frame, and give shutting the doors a distinctive "Camaro" feel. I realize that a frame was not possible in this car, but I wonder what condition it will be in when five years rolls around.

All my minor gripes are forgiven as soon as I turn that key clockwise. Hearing the car fire up in an underground parking garage is worth the price of entry alone. Like I mentioned, I came from an IS300 so I have a lot of insight into how it stacks up, but most importantly I know that I am very glad I made the decision that I did. It isn't really fair to compare the two since they serve different market segments, but if they were to be compared the "fun" factor overwhelmingly goes to the 350Z.

When I went in on Thursday I intended to actually drive the car and then give my preorder over to someone else. I had convinced myself that changes in my life between March and now were significant enough that I would just take it easy and pass on the Z. Well, something happened when I took that testdrive, and here I am, posting on the Z board. I must admit that I was not a Z enthusiast. In fact, I have never even owned a Nissan product before so I guess that puts me in the minority around here. All I can tell you is that I LOVE this car, and I now count myself as a Z nut.
Old 09-04-2002, 03:41 AM
Z CRAZY
Charter Member #67

Exactly why Nissan has used the slogan "Enjoy the Ride"!

Welcome to the Nissan family.
Old 09-04-2002, 07:25 AM
ATL350Z

I believe this is what the Z already does because it raises about a half-inch when you close the door. It seals very well, but I was just commenting on the window being free when the door swings. I suspect that eventually the window might develop some play.
Old 09-04-2002, 07:32 AM
FstQban

The 300ZX's(Z32?) had the same frameless window design. I had one for a long time and never had a problem with them. At last count it was 10 years old, and never even a hint of trouble. Hope that relieves your fears a little.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:58 AM
blueshift
Charter Member #83

The Z's windows do move up a 1/2 inch when the door close....and move down a half inch when you open the door.

-Andrew
Old 09-04-2002, 06:42 PM
Subw00er

For the last three years, I closed my audi tt door by using the window and pushing. I rmember thinking it was a bad idea too, but the windows are stronger than they seem!
Old 09-04-2002, 08:45 PM
matt@importlife.tv

Default its great our Zs will have the window seal feature, but this is old technology...

my friend's 1997 328is had this. I think every bmw coupe made after 1998 has them. and every 996 has them. But its def a cool feature. just dont brag to bmw owners. they will laugh and think to themselves, i had that almost 8 years ago.

Correct me if i am wrong...but i think the 1st production car to EVER have this feature was the 1991 BMW 850 coupe.