Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

This pertains to the "17 year olds getting Z's" debate...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 AM
B.Sterling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i started workin when i was 14, 50-60 hrs a week every summer making minimum wage. After saving mass for 4 years i was finally able to buy my first car which is my 03 touring 6MT with my own money. i think its safe to say that not all of us 17 yr olds with z's didnt work hard to earn it....
Old 10-05-2012, 05:34 AM
K350Z52

Hekk Yea B. Sterling
Old 10-06-2012, 12:20 AM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

nothing even remotely fast about a 86 camaro, trust me ive owned several third gens, my wifes focus makes more power then all but a TPI and even that barely makes more power and has trouble keeping up in stock form 170 hp in the iroc vs 160 hp in the focus with a engine less then half the size, which is just sad.
Originally Posted by K350Z52
On the other hand you see people like me who get one at 17 as their first car but has been driving since he he was 15. I have had an obsession and passion for cars since i was 2 before I got the Z like a month before I was begging for just any car, i remember there was a guy selling a 1986 camaro in ehh condition for 2000 and me begging my parents to let me borrow the money and that I would pay them back. I guess they trusted me and my judgement enough to reward my achievements and birthday and going off to college etc etc with a car that I wanted. Im glad they did and i dont think I let them down.

Last edited by jerryd87; 10-06-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:25 AM
GLRacing

17 year olds with mediocre jobs = cheap mods/reps.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:27 AM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

dont forget blown engines.................when i worked at gm dealers i cant tell you how many ecotec's i saw with bent valves because parents got there kids them and they thought it was cool to bounce it off the rev limiter repeatedly
Originally Posted by GLRacing
17 year olds with mediocre jobs = cheap mods/reps.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:21 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man,cannot believe the length of this thread!
In reality,maybe the common sense stated by many will save a few lives.
As I see it, comments are either in the real or,perceived category.Real if
you had actual experience.Perceived if thats the way it should be if
you were the parent etc.Then we have the examples of what each guy
had as his first car and so on.I've had so many cars that it would take a
new thread to list e'm all.But gotta agree,one thing a guy will rememeber is that
first car.It may get blurry after that if you had over 50 cars.My first was a 57'
Ford that I proceded to "customimize" over a period of 2 yrs.My dad made the downpayment(which I paid back over 3 months)I made the payments.I was on my own
with all future vehicles.Fast forward,I experienced and went the direction of many parents
that,when we were young,had to work our butts off to get what we wanted...hey,
our kids should'nt have to go through all that crap.So,we gave the stuff to them.
Bad idea...
You tend to learn the hard way.When my youngest daughter just had to have a Eclipse
turbo because it was the hot car,I said sure.Wrote the check.No payback needed.
After countless dents,fender benders,one rainy day she t-boned around a pole,had to be cut out.Learned my lession.
A 17 yr old or,there abouts, that does not have the driving skill,maturity, does not
need a car with that kinda HP.A Z with almost double that Eclipse,is a disaster waiting to happen.
To be sure,if I was 17,my parents said no to a Z.I would not understand.The money to
pay for it is not the important part.The type of car is.
Buy a old Volvo.You'll sleep better at night.

Last edited by JCITY; 10-06-2012 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:23 AM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by -Trav-
^ The big deal is a lot of older guys paid 30k for a car that is now worth as low as 9k. Teens are buying them up for cheap, and for that they are bitter.
I wouldn't say we're bitter.

It's just kind of hard to pay 40k for a car that is really nice, then, less than a decade later, see a bunch of stupid kids putting giant wheels on it, or performance-reducing mods on a car that outperforms its price tag, or stickers all over it and then crashing it into a telephone pole on Thanksgiving.

This was the first really nice car I was able to afford and as the value drops, it's sad to see it bastardized by the dumbest generation.

I hope some kids who get their hands on a 3rd or 4th owner Z fall in love with the brand. I hope this is the beginning of a long relationship with Z cars. It can be a great thing. But it's the rest of the kids, the ones that should be catapulted into the Atlantic, that get under my skin.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:01 AM
GLRacing

J City, hoooooly sh*t. 94 cars? Now that just begs the question; how old ARE you?? lol do you just sell them when you get bored? I'd love to see a list of the cars one day
Old 10-06-2012, 05:33 PM
stuartc323

I got my Z when i was 17 as a Graduation/Birthday/ Eagle Scout achievement gift.. Im 22 now and its in very good condition I have had tikkets but ive had to pay em off myself. idk what the big deal is lol
Originally Posted by -Trav-
^ The big deal is a lot of older guys paid 30k for a car that is now worth as low as 9k. Teens are buying them up for cheap, and for that they are bitter.
On the other hand you see people like me who get one at 17 as their first car but has been driving since he he was 15. I have had an obsession and passion for cars since i was 2 before I got the Z like a month before I was begging for just any car, i remember there was a guy selling a 1986 camaro in ehh condition for 2000 and me begging my parents to let me borrow the money and that I would pay them back. I guess they trusted me and my judgement enough to reward my achievements and birthday and going off to college etc etc with a car that I wanted. Im glad they did and i dont think I let them down.
Originally Posted by B.Sterling
i started workin when i was 14, 50-60 hrs a week every summer making minimum wage. After saving mass for 4 years i was finally able to buy my first car which is my 03 touring 6MT with my own money. i think its safe to say that not all of us 17 yr olds with z's didnt work hard to earn it....
Its also not about us trying to rag on you for working to get your cars, mainly what we are trying to say is be careful, when i was 17 i had a pickup truck, i learned to drive on that for 5 years before i bought my z and i can handle this car better than most older people than me, the reason is because I took my time to gain experience driving over time. The only thing we are trying to do is forewarn because from experience a 17 year old who thinks he is mature, isnt really mature and will wrap his *** around a tree trying to do some **** he saw on mtv, im 23 now and safe to say im glad I waited for this car. My dad would not have let me buy a z at 17 even though I could afford one because he knew what dangers it could bring. I had two friends die because they were racing one was in his brand new z and the other was in his dads beamer, they both crashed doing 122 on the street. my point is take what we are saying as advice and not scolding because we are trying to protect you, at least some of us are.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:15 PM
K350Z52

Originally Posted by Flick Montana
I wouldn't say we're bitter.

It's just kind of hard to pay 40k for a car that is really nice, then, less than a decade later, see a bunch of stupid kids putting giant wheels on it, or performance-reducing mods on a car that outperforms its price tag, or stickers all over it and then crashing it into a telephone pole on Thanksgiving.

This was the first really nice car I was able to afford and as the value drops, it's sad to see it bastardized by the dumbest generation.

I hope some kids who get their hands on a 3rd or 4th owner Z fall in love with the brand. I hope this is the beginning of a long relationship with Z cars. It can be a great thing. But it's the rest of the kids, the ones that should be catapulted into the Atlantic, that get under my skin.
I go to Z dayz i just got bakk from Znationals, I go to all sorts of events I am part of Z atlanta and love my Z the Z isnt just a car to me. Yea i have stikkers on it (tastefully done) and I think the beauty of these cars are the fact that they can be customized to whatever the owner sees fit and as long as the owner likes it whats the deal? lol idk I got my Z when I was 17 fell in love with it and do all work myself to it and I am proud of what it is today and what she taught me.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:30 PM
GLRacing

I go to Z dayz i just got bakk from Znationals, I go to all sorts of events I am part of Z atlanta and love my Z the Z isnt just a car to me. Yea i have stikkers on it (tastefully done) and I think the beauty of these cars are the fact that they can be customized to whatever the owner sees fit and as long as the owner likes it whats the deal? lol idk I got my Z when I was 17 fell in love with it and do all work myself to it and I am proud of what it is today and what she taught me.
Where are you from? Your grammar and English in general is a little...off
Old 10-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Rsenger701

I'm 18 born and raised in north dakota where you can get license at age of 14. My dad took me under his wing and i worked in the garage with him. i worked my way up like many others.
1991 blazer overhauled engine sold
bought 1993 eagle talon tsi awd fixed head and tranny sold
bought 1997 eagle talon esi redid interior and body (want to sell) < hint
saved money and bought 03' 350z touring 48k miles and 1997 chevy blazer LT overhauled engine and its for winter
Old 10-07-2012, 09:15 PM
GLRacing

Remind me to never visit North Dakota.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Rsenger701

good call i'm moving next year for college don't want a 14 year old to harm my baby
Old 10-08-2012, 04:38 AM
K350Z52

Where are you from? Your grammar and English in general is a little...off
lololol. Don't worry, when its important I get my grammar correct. I don't see the pertinent need in a forum such as this one. Additionally, I do not see how my grammar or English (in general of course) pertains to the topic of this thread. hahahhahhahaha
Old 10-08-2012, 05:26 AM
GLRacing

lololol. Don't worry, when its important I get my grammar correct. I don't see the pertinent need in a forum such as this one. Additionally, I do not see how my grammar or English (in general of course) pertains to the topic of this thread. hahahhahhahaha
Because i shouldnt need to spend extra time trying figure out what words you're trying to say lol
Old 10-08-2012, 05:42 AM
K350Z52

Because i shouldnt need to spend extra time trying figure out what words you're trying to say lol
lol ohhhhh ok. I did not realize it was that bad. I apologize. I could read it and comprehend it all but I didn't think about others. Anyway, the point is, there are some who put like spinners on the Z's but those people are few and far between. Also, its not only the "young'ns" who put stickers and or ridiculous body kits on the Z's. A Z car doesn't need to be stock to be perfect. To each his/her own.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Azzerare

lol ohhhhh ok. I did not realize it was that bad. I apologize. I could read it and comprehend it all but I didn't think about others. Anyway, the point is, there are some who put like spinners on the Z's but those people are few and far between. Also, its not only the "young'ns" who put stickers and or ridiculous body kits on the Z's. A Z car doesn't need to be stock to be perfect. To each his/her own.

p.s. jealous- i missed out on z nationals. Wasn't able to get away from work.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:52 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

i have stickers all over my car and im 30 :X
Old 10-09-2012, 08:52 AM
GLRacing

Originally Posted by dikspiel
i have stickers all over my car and im 30 :x
..........pictures

Quick Reply: This pertains to the "17 year olds getting Z's" debate...