Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

M3 vs 350z

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 08:55 AM
99M3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M3 vs 350z

I'm sure this is not a new post but I wanted some opinions. I have preordered a Daytona Blue Track Model to replace my 99 Cosmos Black M3 w/26k miles. My concern is that the 350z will not handle and brake like my M3. There is something to be said about German cars and their brakes and handling. I do not expect the interior quality to be the same of course based on the price of the 350z but I do like the styling and performance possibilities.
Let me know your thoughts.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:01 AM
Brad4rdHay

Every review have read was comparing the Z to the E46 M3, so i think you should be fine. Also, the touring model brakes 60- in 117 feet (Motor Trend), thats amung the best in the buisness. Also, the stock car does 0-60 in 5.4, and a few simple mods it will be doing 5 flat easy.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:07 AM
MatthewZ

I am replacing a 97 ///M3 with a new Z. I don't have any doubts that the Z will match the handling and braking. As incredible as the M is, it was basically designed in the early 90's. One thing I look forward to in the Z is a smoother ride on rough roads.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:17 AM
99M3

Thanks for you thoughts.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:29 AM
chermle

I owned a 99 cosmos black M3; BMW bought the car back from me because they couldn't resolve a mechanical issue,and I'm axniously awaiting my 350z. I've seen/sat in a 350z that Nissan had touring the northeast, and I was honestly surprised by the trim level of the 350z. It's just my opinion, but I didn't seem much if any difference between the interiors of the 2 cars. I;ve owend 4 z's, the last being a 90 twin turbo. I'm pretty sure that we're going to pleasently surprized for about $20k less than the current M3.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:35 AM
rai

German's do make sweet cars, but don't underestimate the Japanese. They have been making cars for quite a while. Just look back to when Lexus was comming out and how the big german companies laughed and said like "look at that, they want to play with the BIG BOYS" LOL, well we all know that the LS430 is the equal to any car in the world at anywhere near it's price range. Look at the NSX, sure it's not the STUFF it was 12 years ago, but at the time it could hold it's own.

The old Z the 300ZX was on the C&D ten best list like six years in a row. I'm not putting the old M3 down, but it will have a hard time if it goes up against a track 350Z.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:35 AM
zPilott

This was/is my biggest dilemma. I originally wanted to get an M Coupe, but it was just too small for me to get as my daily driver. I was ready to start looking for a late model E36 M3 when I discovered the Z. I can get a very nice 98 or 99 M3 for the price of the Track model that I want.

My practical side wants to buy the M3 and see how the Z fairs over the next year or two. See how the quality turns out, wait for them to fix a few bugs, see if they make a FI version. I also want to see how toyota and mazda step up to Nissans challenge. I figure the M3 will be worth more at the end of two years, giving me more cash to play around with, in case they come out with a FI Z. The M3 also has a back seat, and more storage area. My friends who own them say that once I get one I won't look back.

But I love the Z. I don't think the grin left my face during the entire twenty four hours I spent with one. The M3 looks boring and dated. It may drive like a sports car, but it doesn't look like one. There is no way that someone would stop their car in the middle of the street to walk around the Z to take a better look (yup, it happened). The feeling I had the first time I drove the M3 had nothing on the feeling after the first time I drove the Z, I had to sit down for half an hour just to calm down.

I don't know what to do, but I still have a few months left to decide while I try to get a Z at MSRP or below.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:51 AM
BullishZ

Originally posted by zPilott
But I love the Z. I don't think the grin left my face during the entire twenty four hours I spent with one. The M3 looks boring and dated. It may drive like a sports car, but it doesn't look like one. There is no way that someone would stop their car in the middle of the street to walk around the Z to take a better look (yup, it happened). The feeling I had the first time I drove the M3 had nothing on the feeling after the first time I drove the Z, I had to sit down for half an hour just to calm down.

I don't know what to do, but I still have a few months left to decide while I try to get a Z at MSRP or below.
Sounds like you're already decided...

You're in love~
Old 09-04-2002, 10:50 AM
morganjd

E46 is definitely tempting if you can afford it, but I think everyone in here can afford a used E36 if they can afford the Z. I love the new M3's, but that leaves the old ones looking very dated in my opinion. The new Z is fresh territory. A clear decision in my opinion.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:40 PM
zPilott

I probably would go for the E46 if I wanted to spend that much, but I started out with a budget of 30k. I upped that a bit because I wanted to get the Track model Z, and I think my girlfriend would like it a bit more if I went a little further and bought a new S4, which she really likes. So many toys.........
Old 09-04-2002, 02:52 PM
TCL

Default Re: M3 vs 350z

Originally posted by 99M3
I'm sure this is not a new post but I wanted some opinions. I have preordered a Daytona Blue Track Model to replace my 99 Cosmos Black M3 w/26k miles. .....
Let me know your thoughts.
I pre-ordered a Daytona Blue Track Model to replace my Estoril Blue 99 M3. I think the handling and braking will be very comparable. The Z should have a small edge on power, and in my opinion, a huge lead in exterior styling. As far as the interior, in my opinion the E36 has a rather stark dashboard. I think the Z's aluminum accents and gauge layout are superior. Add the Nav and the Z really takes the lead. I think the only thing you are giving up is the back seat.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:59 PM
baven

I drive a 01' E46 M3 as a pleasure vehicle (spring/summer) and unfortunately cant say about the SMG, but I have heard a ton of good things about it. Comparing it to a Z isnt a valid comparison. The cars are not similar at all.

First off the price. An M3 is 50% more than a Z, and thats moderately equipped vs. a track.

Second, one is a two seater, other is a 2+2.

Third, performance vs. performance/luxury. A M3 is designed from the get go to be a compromise of performance and luxury at the same time. What it really boils down to is you will not come close to an M3's performance and comfort, but you will get a helluva performing car in the Z for alot less.

Bang for the buck go with the Z. I will likely get rid of my ///M in another year or two, already have had quite a few warranty issues with it, but that was more of a first year production issue.