Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Police officer KILLS a 350Z owner!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 06:09 AM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Police officer KILLS a 350Z owner!

This really is a tragedy. More so because the office was acquited. It goes like this.

"A grand jury ruled Monday that the chase, which ended when Bill Christmas, 59, crashed into the side of Shores Animal Hospital in north Gainesville, was a justifiable homicide.

The ruling was a relief for Officer John O’Ferrell, who fired two fatal shots into Christmas’ chest after Christmas hit him with his red Nissan 350Z.

An autopsy showed Christmas was shot several times, but O’Ferrell’s shots were fatal."

http://www.alligator.org/edit/news/i...grandjury.html

"Shoot first, ask questions later" type of mentality to me. C'mon the guy was 59 years old! What could he have done?!?
Old 11-18-2003, 06:12 AM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Killer cops.

Another article on the same topic.

http://gainesvillesun.com/apps/pbcs....211180334/1007
Old 11-18-2003, 06:16 AM
afr0puff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is this a tragedy? I find it appalling that the officer was facing criminal charges in the first place. The officer is a hero in my book.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:40 AM
cluofi

Lyons fired a shotgun at the car after it struck the hospital.
why shoot at him after officers alread hit him causing him to crash into a building? When they fired the first shot i am sure they intended to stop the chase, but a shot gun blast into an unarmed mans car after the car had crashed is a murder attempt, not an arrest procedure.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:58 AM
jimster716

I don't care what car he drove...the guy went on a rampage and exhibited some bizarre behavior according to witnesses. Apparently, he even tried to run over pedestrians even before the chase ensued. The guy had a death wish...suicide by cop in my book.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:03 AM
RIVET

Arrrrrrrrghhhh, I get sooooo tired of people whining about the poor criminal. What about all the innocent people he endangered when the police were chasing him. People have to know that there will be consequences when you break the law. Violence is a very underrated method of solving problems.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:08 AM
johnp69

The people that whine about the poor criminal have never been in the field and under those situations where the lives of others as well as yourself is in jeopardy, so they have no idea what its like to be under that type of stress as well as trying to protect yourself and others....basically its just people who want to bash police for things they have no idea about or cannot even relate to, but who do these same people call at the first sign of trouble when they need help????
Old 11-18-2003, 07:26 AM
bobS

If u were the cops and he didn't stop after firing shots, u would keep firing too....U know how scared they probably were?
Old 11-18-2003, 07:51 AM
WayneTN

Default Re: Police officer KILLS a 350Z owner!

Originally posted by drivesolo
C'mon the guy was 59 years old! What could he have done?!?
You made me laugh on that one. There's probably several "geezers" on this forum that could rub your nose into the carpet.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:53 AM
Tweety-nator

Why is this a tragedy? And why are you siding with the criminal here? I agree with the others, the guy was on a rampage, he could have hurt, or worse killed somebody. Good grief, he tried to RAM THE OFFICERS! This taken from the news link:

"O’Ferrell and Alachua County Sheriff’s deputies, Joel Coppock and Greg Lyons, fired on Christmas’ car after he accelerated his vehicle toward the officers who stopped him. "

We should thank these officers, not press criminal charges against them. It was clear that the 350Z owner was on a suicidal rampage. This clearly was NOT a case of "Shoot first, ask questions later".

EDIT: The other news link posted above said that the 350Z owner actually HIT the officer with his car. Again, why is this a tragedy?

Last edited by Tweety-nator; 11-18-2003 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:17 AM
Whataguy5431

Drivesolo, you're off base on this one. Based on news articles and witness statements, police did everything correctly. Guy was about to lose his job, probably had trouble at home, tried to run over pedestrians and officers earlier, tried to climb a 10' fence and sped through town at 130. Sounds like he got what he deserved. One less loony off the road.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:06 AM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm ashamed to share a board with such bleeding-heart pvssies. Tragedy my A$$!
Old 11-18-2003, 09:13 AM
alienx

Damn BOSE system...none of this should ever have happened!!
Old 11-18-2003, 09:15 AM
Michael-Dallas

And what would you do if I targeted and chased you around in my 350z?

Michael.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:20 AM
jedoublery

Good thing the retard was an old white guy.
Imagine if he was black.....riot in Florida?
Old 11-18-2003, 09:26 AM
kyle jones

Lightbulb

O’Ferrell and Alachua County Sheriff’s deputies, Joel Coppock and Greg Lyons, fired on Christmas’ car after he accelerated his vehicle toward the officers who stopped him.
Its interesting that you omitted essential elements of the article in your post. For instance, the excerpt I've posted that says the suspect was accelerating toward the officers. A car is every bit as deadly as a loaded gun, so I can't see that the interpretation of "shoot first, ask questions later" even remotely applies here.

Kyle
Old 11-18-2003, 10:10 AM
Tweety-nator

Originally posted by kyle jones
Its interesting that you omitted essential elements of the article in your post. For instance, the excerpt I've posted that says the suspect was accelerating toward the officers. A car is every bit as deadly as a loaded gun, so I can't see that the interpretation of "shoot first, ask questions later" even remotely applies here.

Kyle
Yup I agree with you 100%, I posted that same quote a couple of posts above yours to point out that it was the 350Z driver trying to ram/hit the officer which prompted the officer to respond with deadly force, and rightly so. The "shoot first, ask questions later" simply does not apply to this situation.

It is unfortunate that the officer in question had to be off patrol for almost a year before the case was dismissed. So instead of performing his duties as a police officer, he was relegated to installing computer systems at the GPD.

I am glad the ordeal is finally over for the officer, and he can get back to working again.

Last edited by Tweety-nator; 11-18-2003 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:27 AM
Losing-Grip

and the cops wonder why they have earned such a bad rep.

this doesnt go to say that all cops are the same but that these inncodents are happening more and more frequently. i think officers should be taught how NOT to use the weapon and how to use their head. all i know is, if this were to happen to a close family member, i seriously doubt i would be able to keep my composure in that court room.

-j-
Old 11-18-2003, 10:38 AM
droideka

Originally posted by Losing-Grip

this doesnt go to say that all cops are the same but that these inncodents are happening more and more frequently. i think officers should be taught how NOT to use the weapon and how to use their head. all i know is, if this were to happen to a close family member, i seriously doubt i would be able to keep my composure in that court room.

-j-
Work on your reading comprehension.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:40 AM
Z04

Originally posted by Losing-Grip

-j-
and the car that the guy tried to hit the cop with is not considered a weapon???? I think the cop had every right to defend himself.

Quick Reply: Police officer KILLS a 350Z owner!