Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sh!t extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 02:01 PM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default **** extended warranty

Ok, i'm one of those Stealership haters. Before i go on, i want to say that i bought this 05 350z few months ago. Recently i had problems with both front wheel bearings and rear right wheel bearings. Because i hate Stealership, i decided to ditch them and just spend some money and get the bearings myself and install them myself. The bearings were having trouble one after another. So this gave me some burden. I spend about $300 for both fronts and rear right bearings pressed in the hub by a local guy. Now my rear bearings make noises which i assume is caused by the pressing step. Enough headache between buying the bearings. I'll have to put the old one pressed in and iinstalled b4 i go to the nissan dealership to inspect it.
So i gave in and took my car to nissan dealership to see if i'm still under warranty. OOPs, what do you know? my previous owner bought an extended warranty! GOLD SECURITY+PLUS! and the freaking dealership(where i got my car. small family dealership) never told me this. On top of that, they haven't transferred the warranty under my name. So i called that small dealership about this and he said they MIGHT be able to transfer it but not sure so call back on MONDAY to ask the owner of the dealership.
Is this something that the small dealership is SUPPOSE to transfer it under my name or is there a possiblilty that they won't do that?
If they don't do it, then do i need to contact the previous owner?
Old 10-30-2010, 02:08 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Previous owner bought and owns the warranty, not the dealership.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:11 PM
JDMStanced

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Previous owner bought and owns the warranty, not the dealership.
So i have to talk to the previous owner.. Is the procedure of transferring the warranty sophisticated? I doubt the dealership will tell me the owner's phone number for her "security"
The owner should've sold or whatever with the car..
Old 10-30-2010, 02:38 PM
sdZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's up to the prev. owner to transfer the warranty... The dealership told me that I was able to transfer the warranty to the next owner if I were to sell my Z...

I know for sure that if you cancel the warranty before it expires, they give you some money back(depending on how long you have left)...
Old 10-30-2010, 02:49 PM
JDMStanced

Originally Posted by sdZ33
I think it's up to the prev. owner to transfer the warranty... The dealership told me that I was able to transfer the warranty to the next owner if I were to sell my Z...

I know for sure that if you cancel the warranty before it expires, they give you some money back(depending on how long you have left)...
the service guy told me that the system shows up that my car has extended warranty but by dff name. so I don't think prev owner cancelled it.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:18 PM
sdZ33

did they tell you the name? If they did, just go to another stealer and use the name...
Old 10-30-2010, 03:22 PM
MaelstrØm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The name is associated with the VIN in Nissan's global database. You need to get the warranty assigned to you. Don't go committing fraud by using someone else's name, as you will have to sign the work orders and will then be impersonating someone.

The dealership has no obligation to ensure you get the warranty, that is up to you. A nice dealership might do it for you, but they probably didn't even check.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:24 PM
JDMStanced

did they tell you the name? If they did, just go to another stealer and use the name...
hahah you are so smart. He printed out a sheet that says everything.
Unfortunately, prev owner is a girl. Well, i could say she's my mother but then i'm asian and prev owner doesn't have asian last name

The prev owner paid for the car registration so i didn't have to pay for the car registration. They give me a small slip that says vin number and where you got it that you stick it on the front windshield.
This might be the problem?

Last edited by JDMStanced; 10-30-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:46 PM
sdZ33

If you she has a Spanish last name you can probably get away with it if you say you are Philipino...lol...

Try asking the dealership(Nissan) how you can get it transfered... Or try calling Nissan USA...
Old 10-30-2010, 03:57 PM
JDMStanced

I talked to the salesman and he said something like they can't do anything about it. I have to talk to the dealer where i got it lol
Old 10-30-2010, 05:04 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

The problem may be that if you contact the prev owner, she may decide she'd rather cancel and get a prorated refund of what she paid instead of transferring it to you. The extended warranty is great as a tool to help you sell your used car. When you trade it, the dealer doesn't really care since they can't receive the warranty themselves and they don't want/need to go through the trouble of paperwork and reassignment to the next buyer.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:19 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you she has a Spanish last name you can probably get away with it if you say you are Philipino...lol...

Try asking the dealership(Nissan) how you can get it transfered... Or try calling Nissan USA...

This is the first time anyone has suggested to dress up like a girl to get warranty work done.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:04 AM
Pig Pen

If you're under 60K, the bearings and hub assemblies ARE under Factory Warranty! Take it to a Nissan Dealership. Doesn't matter who owns the car.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:47 AM
POWUH
Banned

My cars under my moms name and not once have they asked for her presence. I've done everything from my oil changes to a new motor at the dealership. Its clearly a womens name under the vin number I just give them the info they really don't hassle me for anything. They think im the owner lol
Old 10-31-2010, 11:28 AM
JDMStanced

Originally Posted by Pig Pen
If you're under 60K, the bearings and hub assemblies ARE under Factory Warranty! Take it to a Nissan Dealership. Doesn't matter who owns the car.
i found out that my warranty expired on this february ....
Old 11-02-2010, 01:42 PM
JDMStanced

Ok, things aren't going the way i wanted.
I called the dealership where i bought the car and they said they have NO f king info whatsoever about the previous owner because they bought the car from auction.
So i called the nissan headquarter to seek for the pre owner's info. Obviously, they aren't giving me the pre owner's phone number. In fact, they said they don't even know the number. So they told me to call the nissan dealership where the pre owner bought the extended warranty from.
OK, i called there with only knowing the pre owner's name. They said they can't pull any info on that name-_-.. I called headquarter again and they gave me the policy number.
Now i am waiting to call the nissan dealership again (another customer on the line)
Is it f king true that you get no info on the pre owner if the dealership bought the car from auction? The headquarter said they should have the info.
BTW, i called the dealership where i got the car TWICE and the owner said he in no hell knows any info on the pre owner, not even the name. I was talking to him in pretty angry tone the second time. He can't be really lying to me unless he got the car in dirty way.
The pre owner has to sign a form that says that she is willing to transfer it. The reason the dealership can't just transfer to me is that the owner is able to get some money back from cancelling the extended warranty.
This is why i never wanted to deal with the dealership. Things never go straight.
If anyone has an idea, please tell me
Old 11-02-2010, 02:37 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

In theory, there should be repair/maintenance records in the Nissan system based on the VIN and it should have previous owner info, but for legal and privacy reasons, they may not be able to give that out.

As I mentioned before, the Extended Warranty is something wholly owned by the previous owner. When they trade in a car, they *should* apply for a refund of a prorated portion of the policy. Otherwise, they are essentially throwing money away since they don't know who you are or how to contact you - just as you don't know anything about them. There's no practical way to make a transfer. Besides, what's in it for them? They've already gotten rid of the car.

The Extended Warranty is great when you are selling a car in a private transaction. You can offer to transfer it to the buyer which gives them peace of mind.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:49 PM
ZYouL8R

Find out where the auction was and hope her name isn't too common and it's a small town and look her up! lol
Old 11-02-2010, 03:07 PM
JDMStanced

the extended warranty ends in 2012 and it looks like a pretty good warranty.
the original warranty ends in this February so mu guess is that she sold the car around when the warranty ended without knowing she bought the extended warranty lol maybe forgot. I checked the headquarter am they said the warranty is still there. I just have to reach for it but too many obstacles...
Old 11-02-2010, 07:43 PM
MaelstrØm

1) Go to the DMV and pull the title history, it lists all the prior owners, if they were in your state.
2) If not in your state, you can go to the other state and pull the history for that state. Should be cheap to run the title history.
3) Now that you have the name and address, go and politely ask them to assign it and give them a small tip for their trouble so they don't get curious.

(Yes, Nissan knows who they are, but they sometimes won't tell you due to privacy, as mentioned in the prior posts.)

Titles are public record in every state, so you can find this.

Quick Reply: Sh!t extended warranty