Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Are these things happening to your Z?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 01:32 PM
harrjar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are these things happening to your Z?

I have some issues with my 03 Enthusiast 6MT. I was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same. These are primarily annoyances but some could indicate future problems:

1.) Homelink buttons on rear-view mirror rattle sooooo bad, if I don’t have the radio on, I can’t stand the noise. Of course they buzz like mad with the radio on too but I can tune it out.

2.) My headlights have water stains all on the inside of the lens. It looks like soap scum on the shower glass, terribly noticeable when the lights are on. I thought they were sealed units!

3.) Hatch rattles like crazy. Sounds like a chirping cricket but I can never get it to do it when I’m riding with the service guy. Again, I have to have the radio on or I can’t stand the noise.

4.) The extreme corners of the hatch are not protected by the rubber grommet. It looks like the corners are taking a beating ever time I shut the hatch but I can’t tell what they are hitting. The paint is already chipped and mostly gone. I’m worried about rust because of all the water that sits under the hatch seal during rain or when you wash, etc. Plus I don’t like the look of my paint being pulverized.

5.) Driver’s-side window is loose. I’ve had it fixed once but if I roll it down, it will rattle in the casing when I go over bumps. When it’s rolled up, it makes a clicking noise as it moves in the casing.

6.) I have extreme but intermittent rattle right behind the instrument cluster. This noise isn’t like the rest of the interior that just sort of has its plastic rubbing noises-this is something loose. It must vibrate itself back into a secure position every now and then because it doesn’t always do it.

I have been living with these annoyances for several months now and I’m starting to get tired of it, but my dealership is so bad, I don’t even want to take my car there.

Have any of you had any of these issues and reached some kind of resolution?

Thanks for your input. I love my Z, I’ve put 12K on it already and only had it since the end of May. I spend tons of time in the car and for the price I don’t think these things are acceptable.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:51 PM
bixby

Actually;
1. no
2. no
3. no
4. no
5. no
6. no

I'd take it to the dealer to address all of your issues under the warranty. It will probably take at least 2 trips. 1 to confirm issues & order parts. 2 to replace bad parts.

Good luck!
Old 11-18-2003, 02:07 PM
nigevellie

think you got a lemon.

wait, did you get all this rattling BEFORE you put in the audio equipment? cuz if you're bangin', then i think you know the answers to your own question.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:49 PM
bixby

Hmm. didn't notice the audio upgrade in your sig. nigevellie could be right!
Old 11-18-2003, 03:04 PM
VQ35DES

mmm...lemon
Old 11-18-2003, 03:39 PM
Dissolved

how can it be a lemon? these are common problems and i have a few of them. If these problems on a car are lemons, most 03 350zs are lemons
Old 11-18-2003, 03:53 PM
Subbacultcha

NO on all accounts. I have an 03' touring build date jan/03; 5,200miles on the odometer.

what I do have:

-window grease streak on passenger side window only
-slight creaking noise coming from behind my left shoulder (seatbelt thingy?)
-retractable dash drink holder is very, very hard to open and close. next oil change I will ask them to fix or replace this.

what I have had fixed under warranty:
-i had a buzzing/rattling noise coming from my rear view mirror which the dealer replaced no problem.
-new battery (original battery died on me after a month or so, they said it was defective)
-new ecu (when the original battery died, it took down the ecu too, they said )

Last edited by Subbacultcha; 11-18-2003 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:08 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The headlight housings are not sealed, and moisture build-up is normal and in your manual. I have only had this happen once and it disappeared shortly after turning my lights on. Have not had any of the other issues you stated, but the hatch does hold a fair amount of water outside the seals and will take some time for it dry out after washing, rain, etc..
Old 11-18-2003, 09:30 PM
Spyre

03 Track, built May/03 and has 5100 miles on it.

I have had none of the problems described here, and actually no window streaking or tire feathering or any problems whatsoever actually. Perhaps I lucked out? My paint is even fine on the nose and I do alot of freeway driving too. Perhaps you ought to look to a different dealer to take it to if yours is not being helpful.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:22 PM
Paul_BB_Guy

6) If you adjust the tilt up and then down does the rattle go away?
Old 11-19-2003, 03:02 AM
DavidD

Default I have a few and others

1) rear view mirror rattles from time to time
2) passengers side window/door has a very high pitched noise while driving that can hurt the ears
3) rear latch gets stuck from time to time
4) intermittent rattle right behind the instrument cluster and center consol
5) scratch on passengers side window from something inside the door
6) window grease streak on both windows 15,000 miles and still can't clean off
7) front door speakers buzz
8) front bumper and hood scratched/dinged so bad that I will have to repaint soon or get a new front bumper (?aftermarket) and a clear bra in future
9) front seat shifts from time to time
All have been addressed on this website in the past

But the engine and transmission work fine
Old 11-19-2003, 04:41 AM
Jeff Holt

I have noticed a vibration at the back of the passenger front airbag. It only happens when the car is not flexing. If I take a tight turn and the body flexes a little the vibration is gone. I look at it as a sign from god that I need to drive fast on twisty roads
Old 11-19-2003, 05:51 AM
FairladyZ

Nope! But come on, you got a "system", of course your gonna jar things up, and make stuff rattle in your car.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:24 AM
mickey

Default Rattle Fixes

Regarding rattle on your Z, there is TSB out for it, see:
Nissan TSB

A fellow member also share his methods on fixing the problem:
rodH's fix

Hope this helps, keep us update on how it turn out.

Rgd,
Mickey
Old 11-19-2003, 06:32 AM
Jeff Holt

Default Re: Rattle Fixes

Do you think it will work for 04's? I have saved a copy and will be visiting my dealer soon. After they so kindly fix my door.

Originally posted by mickey
Regarding rattle on your Z, there is TSB out for it, see:
Nissan TSB
Old 11-19-2003, 06:39 AM
mickey

Default Not sure about rattle in '04

Sorry, I can't answer the question on rattle fixes on '04. It will be a good idea to report the rattle to NNA(documenting the issue), and try the 03 TSB on 04 with the dealer.

Anyone with 04 reading this thread please let us know if there is any rattle (maybe with a new thread?)

Do you think it will work for 04's? I have saved a copy and will be visiting my dealer soon. After they so kindly fix my door.
Rgd,
Mickey
Old 11-19-2003, 06:40 AM
keiffer953

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring it to the dealer......End of problem.......Hopefully, depending on the dealer.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:20 AM
cedusett

I have that rearview rattle as well, but none of the other problems, and I'm driving an 03 enthusiast 6MT as well. Thanks for posting the TSB mickey, I'll be taking it to the dealer in the near future!
Old 11-19-2003, 08:26 AM
harrjar

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

I'm going to try a different dealer in a neighboring city to see if they are better.

I'm dissapointed to hear that the headlights are not sealed! I guess that staining will never go away then! It's really ugly in my opinion. Maybe the dealer will be willing to do something, I'll just have to ask.

With regards to the "system" as some of you put it...it's incredibly clear but not that bumping compared to many of the systems people have installed on this forum...and you're right I would expect it to rattle some things. But these rattles are different and present whether the system is on or off. I also don't believe that the rattles resulted either from the installation or the vibrations caused by the system. The rear-view mirror issue was always there. The buttons just sit loosely in the housing and rattle like mad. I think the Z should have gotten a specially designed mirror that fits the back window (homelink on the visor instead of the mirror), not the mirror out of the previous generation Infiniti I-30 (maybe other models as well).

As far as the hatch problems go, there's no way the paint crumbling can be attributed to anything other than improper adjustment and lack of protection by the seal.

I'll give you all an update on how the dealership handles these issues.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:34 AM
DrDrilZ

Originally posted by keiffer953
Bring it to the dealer......End of problem.......Hopefully, depending on the dealer.
i disagree, dealers seem to half *** the reassembly of the car. hopefully you dont get more rattles than before.
as far as the hatch "chirping", i removed the plastic housing and sprayed a little silicone on the plastic clips. put it back together, and no more chirping. the squeeking and chirping that i had was from the palstic clips. open your hatch and gently tap the plastic cover to verify that is where this noise is coming from.

Quick Reply: Are these things happening to your Z?