Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Thinking abut getting a 350z sooooon =)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:29 AM
turkspartan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EDIT: ooops... wrong post.

Last edited by turkspartan; 04-07-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Marcus93

Don't do it man, trust me. I got my Z when I was 15. I started the infamous "Free or cheap mods" thread, and got flamed out the ***. I've learned a lot from reading on here since then, and realized that most quality parts are too expensive. I also am a server and work 30-40 hours a week, and even with that I still couldn't afford to put Volks or Works on my car, expensive coilovers, or boost it. While I know I'm blessed my parents bought it for me, I somewhat regret them buying me such a nice first car. I get the "did Mommy and Daddy buy you that," from a lot of people even ones I don't know. So, if you think you're not going to get that even though you bought it yourself you're mistaken. It also sucks not being able to put more than one more person in the car at a time. Especially if it's more than one girl. So while I love the speed, handling, and looks this car still gets there are many trade-offs to the car. I would seriously consider other cars if I were you specifically a WRX or even a Jetta, because a backseat and boost is always nice! Keep your options open, and don't be so hard set on a Z.

-Marcus
Old 04-07-2011, 12:16 PM
03BrickZ

^^^GTFO of this forum, OP i bought my z for 10,300 cash money with 54k. All you have to do is find good deals for good parts. I bought a set of ssr sp1s in very good sizing for 200 bucks off this forum, i found a rare titanium exhaust and payed 200 for it. I got a greddy cooling plate for 25 bucks. Best advice i can give is be patient and deals will come to you.
ps. oh yea i forgot to add im a college student also and paying tuition out of pocket.

Last edited by 03BrickZ; 04-07-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Marcus93

Originally Posted by 03BrickZ
^^^GTFO of this forum, OP i bought my z for 10,300 cash money with 54k. All you have to do is find good deals for good parts. I bought a set of ssr sp1s in very good sizing for 200 bucks off this forum, i found a rare titanium exhaust and payed 200 for it. I got a greddy cooling plate for 25 bucks. Best advice i can give is be patient and deals will come to you.
ps. oh yea i forgot to add im a college student also and paying tuition out of pocket.
You mad 'cause I'm telling him the truth? You got lucky with some good deals on parts. Even that is sketchy. 200 dollars for some 1900 dollar minimum wheels... And 200 dollars for a titanium exhaust.... Get real dude.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:45 PM
turkspartan

Well I can see why you got flamed for the "Free or cheap mods" thread, because if you want this car you can't go all Honda on it. But I also can't depend on someone selling cheap parts. As long as I get the car the rest will come sooner or later... The main mod I want on it are wheels. And I have done my research, the nice ones like Works and Ssr and many others are expensive. But I'm not in a hurry, so I can wait for good deals like the one 03BrickZ got, or I can slowly save for it. Like I said I'm not in a hurry. At this point I just want a Z, preferably black. The rest will come sooner or later

Last edited by turkspartan; 04-07-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Zmazing03

Originally Posted by dfresh713
Buy a Z after college once you get a real job.
+1. This is what I did. In fact the day after I got the call that I got the job, I went to the dealership and bought a Z. The only reason I didn't go the day before is because it was Sunday and they were closed.

Needless to say, that car, as much as I loved it, cost me an arm and a league. And unfortunately, though perfectly affordable, the mortgage company didn't want a $500 car payment on my name when they were giving me a loan. So I had to sell it. I could still be driving that car and afford it, but the bank said no, and well, the bank wins.

I think you need to redo your math though on the residual costs. If you have an awesome record, a 350Z at <25 is going to cost you at LEAST $1,500 a year in insurance. Gas is premium, and since its over $4 a gallon with no end in site, that wicked money. Maintenance is a *****, because when things break, they put the "350Z Tax" on them to get it fixed. Tires will cost you at least $500 if you find an awesome deal and have stock 17s.

And you won't be able to buy a condo/house etc, even if you can afford it lol.

I saw your post about "getting married" and all this. Wat???? Dude, I am 28 years old, and still single, and if I still had my Z, would have had it for five years now. F that "get married" excuse. Maybe start with graduating and grabbing a decent girlfriend? And besides, the perfect lady, worth marrying, would not care that you have a 350Z (plus insurance will be cheaper w/ "wife" next to your name).

So, recalculate your expenses and make sure you know you can afford it, AND STILL HAVE MONEY LEFT OVER. The last thing you want to be doing is working to pay for your car, and you might just be doing that, especially considering the job market, etc. And don't worry about how old you are. We have people from 17 (unfortunately) to 77 on this forum that have 350s, 370s, GTRs.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:34 AM
WARAT

^^^ +1 what he said.

School > used Z. With this economy, gas prices might even shot up to 7 bucks a gallon in 2 years.

We're just looking out for you.. Trust me, once you get a real job after you finish college, the options (for sporty car) will be better
Old 04-13-2011, 11:59 AM
joliuxsi

Also from VA, cheers!

+1 on waiting until after you finish college. I know the temptation. I drove honda civics and accords until I graduated college at 22.