2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Need your help with my 2 year plan, got a few new ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 06:14 AM
Tanman1986
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need your help with my 2 year plan, got a few new ideas

OK first of i would like to say that i am a car fanatic and i have been so since i was a little kid, like the most of us. Things are looking up in life for me and it looks like i will be getting a really great/high paying welding job within the next 2 weeks. I just passed my tests on Friday and i am just waiting on the drug and background check to come back. With this in mind and with my fiances income, we will be doing very well so i will have a lot more money to throw into my hobby and start living a few dreams of mine. I wanted to post up a few ideas i have been having and see what yall thought.

Right now i have a 04 Track 350z with these mods: Nismo intake, Nismo suspension, Nismo clutch, Nismo R-Tuned Headers, Nismo Engine Dress up kit, Agency Power Titanium exhaust, Navigation, Brembo breaks, Brembo cross drilled rotors and 18inch Volk GT-C Wheels with Bf Goodrich G-Force KDW II Tires.

Now here are is my 2 year plans that i could do and need yall help/opinions on:

OK first idea. I am currently paying on my Z and i have another 46 months left to pay on it and with this new job i could pay off the Z within 2 years, also have it repainted (Its starting to show its age, previous owner didn't take care of it at all) and i would also throw the Greddy Twin Turbo Kit on and sell my Volk wheels and replace them with a Set of 19inch Nismo's of my choosing. If I choose to go this route I would be spending on everything including the car and its current mods around $23k-$25k. Witch is not to bad and i have always wanted a TT 350z.

Next option....I could save all of my extra cash for the next 2 years, pay the monthly payment on the Z to keep my credit up. Sell it and with the money I get out of her and maybe if needs be go get a $5,000 to $10,000 Personal loan and go buy another car, and here are my thoughts on a few cars i had in mind:

1: R33 Skyline GTR V-Spec, between $25,000 to $35,000
2: Supra TT, between $17,000 to $25,000
3: RX7, between $14,000 to $17,000

Those 3 cars have been on my dream list for a long time and I have my heart set on them. I have considered the Newer GTR but Iam not going to put me and my finance in a struggling month to month situation with a $1600 a month car payment + my fiances $250 a month RX8 car payment and then rent/food/insurance the works (you people who live out on your own and not living at home with your mom know what i am talking about).

I thought about a Evo 10 but I have already owned a Evo 8 about 9 months ago and I liked the car but i didn't love it. I just felt like another kid with a 4 banger engine with a turbo. At my age of 25 i felt like it was time to move up to the V6/I6 twin turbo or in the RX7s case, a Rotary Twin Turbo. So i sold the Evo 8 and bought the Z with plans of TT it within a few years as my budget would allowed, but with this new job opportunity i have a few more options (as stated above).

So there are my thought about the next two years and as you can see i have a few great options. Yes i know when it really comes down to it, its all personal choice, but i would feel better if i asked around and got a little feedback from other car lovers/car fanatics such as I. So with that being said, let me know what you guys think. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks yall in advance and sorry such a long azz story
Old 03-27-2011, 06:19 AM
pmab9918

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool book, when does it get published??

Cliffs?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Parker01

Focus on paying off your Z, you don't even have the job yet and if you do get it you could lose it any day. Maybe contribute your extra dough into your RRSP's. I sure am glad I shook the mod bug (aka money pit) early. Sounds like you have a nice Z as it is, just keep it that way and take care of her.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:52 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't help with the decisions on the car, but I'm really curious about the welding job. I've been auditing welding classes at a technical college in southwest Georgia for several years, so I know some people who have recently completed the course. I don't remember anyone getting what I'd call a high-paying welding job.

So, I'm curious. What does the welding job involve, and what are your qualifications and experience?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:24 AM
henwhee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, i'm much more curious about what kind of job/career you are talking about. I am hoping that when I turn 25 in 5 years, I'll be in the same position as you.

Sounds like you're life is right on track, and I'm sure you worked very hard in the past 10 years to get you to where you are now.
... well budgeted lifestyle and planning where and how much money I will be spending on a car with my fiance (well currently 3 year girlfriend), who is also a car enthusiast.

Personally, I wouldn't think you'd enjoy backstepping to cars 10 years older than what you own now. The interiors quality and design of most '9X cars are disgusting. What i really liked about the 350z is that even though it was a sports car, it had a luxury feel to it, unlike the STI's, RX7, Supra, R33/34, etc.

You're 25, so you might want to start considering a more luxury-sports car? Or have a luxury car and have a supra as a project car, and go all out on it.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Tanman1986
Banned

Originally Posted by winchman
I can't help with the decisions on the car, but I'm really curious about the welding job. I've been auditing welding classes at a technical college in southwest Georgia for several years, so I know some people who have recently completed the course. I don't remember anyone getting what I'd call a high-paying welding job.

So, I'm curious. What does the welding job involve, and what are your qualifications and experience?
Iam not sure that i have every really seen a low paying welding job. I'm starting out at $18 a hr and after 90 days i move up to $20. My buddy made over $100k last year working for a company called " Weld-mart" welding in dams. Right now he is making $52.75 working out of town in California for 5 months and he never went to a welding class in his life. I have a really high chance of getting in with him after I spend some time and get more experience with this company. Only downside is working out of town, but now days if you want to make any $$$bank$$$, you have to be wiling to travel. Most welding places that i know of want you to get you certificates with them, not in school, yea its a good idea to go to school, but not one of my friends have got a welding job with a certificate or degree for any welding class in a tech school. I have done a lot of side jobs welding up gas station signs and custom fab work for a few people. I did go to northwester tech for a class on mig and stick and i also have worked for a local company and did some tig work for them. Maybe me and my friends are just lucky

Last edited by Tanman1986; 03-27-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Tanman1986
Banned

Originally Posted by henwhee
Yes, i'm much more curious about what kind of job/career you are talking about. I am hoping that when I turn 25 in 5 years, I'll be in the same position as you.

Sounds like you're life is right on track, and I'm sure you worked very hard in the past 10 years to get you to where you are now.
... well budgeted lifestyle and planning where and how much money I will be spending on a car with my fiance (well currently 3 year girlfriend), who is also a car enthusiast.

Personally, I wouldn't think you'd enjoy backstepping to cars 10 years older than what you own now. The interiors quality and design of most '9X cars are disgusting. What i really liked about the 350z is that even though it was a sports car, it had a luxury feel to it, unlike the STI's, RX7, Supra, R33/34, etc.

You're 25, so you might want to start considering a more luxury-sports car? Or have a luxury car and have a supra as a project car, and go all out on it.
Oh i understand what you are saying, back stepping is the only draw back of this whole deal. I love the Z. I really do. Maybe its me but there is no other sound like a RB26dett or a 2JZ. I have thought about doing the RB swap into the Z or vr38dett into the Z, but as far as i have read and researched. No one to this day has done the VR swap into the Z, so the RB swap would seem more practical of a swap. Iam a really picky kind of guy in i want everything in the car to work 100%. like the gauges to read 100%, no check engine lights on, and with doing a swap comes a big pain in the azz to get everything work 100%. Iam also a big big turbo fanatic, I just about every car i have ever had, did have a turbo on it. My KA24det 240sx, my Eclipse GS-T, My Evo 8 and maybe my z will, but i really have my heart set on a R33, but to find one at a good price and that is 100% US legal is another thing.

Last edited by Tanman1986; 03-27-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:20 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Eagerly awaiting the movie.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:28 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would pay off your car before you sink in $25K in mods. Also where can you get a pristine MkIV Supra TT for 25K? I could be wrong but I have only seen beat up or salvaged MkIV's going for that low.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:55 PM
pcressey

Originally Posted by Tanman1986
I'm starting out at $18 a hr and after 90 days i move up to $20
I will give you the hard truth... pulling in $33k a year after taxes does not give you the financial freedom to do 1/10th of what you listed.

Dream big... dream all you want, but don't throw your money away on a car that is losing money by the day. Every dollar you put into it is wasted, and devalues the car even more.

Focus on your soon to wife and life. Have toys when you are established in life.

That is reality.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:58 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't spend more money on a car than it is worth, just my .02
Old 03-28-2011, 03:48 PM
norapat01

Sell your Z, forget all about the other cars, and get an STi convertible

https://my350z.com/forum/other-vehic...ats-right.html
Old 03-28-2011, 03:54 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,660 Posts

A legit R33 GTR here stateside is much closer to $100k , just work on paying the Z off, get a new daily and play with the Z.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Zing!

Buy a house and stop renting... My .02

Ive owned my Z for a little over a year and i do have some slight Plans for it (y pipe 06+ heads/tails). But its my dd and i set aside a little money each pay period for the unexpected. Once you boost even if you dont turn it up making goobs of boost your adding to the unexpected. Again my .02

Speaking on the cars you posted:

Rx7= have you ever driven/ridden in one? These interiors are pure crap/plastic. Needless to say have fun getting any kind of trim for them...youll have to sell your soul for drivers side a pillar

Supra= i worked for toyota for 4 years in service dept and like someone said 25k might get you a decent non turbo clear title auto non targa...turbo supras under 25,000 either have over 100k miles or have been dogged/ "customized" which these days mean ghetto rigged

Skyline= legal and for sale??? Hahaha

Btw im 24
Old 03-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Zing!

Dont make yourself car poor
Old 03-30-2011, 05:26 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ahhh the joy of being young and having a lot of disposable income. i suggest you refinance your Z and pay it off sooner. You'll have less debt to worry about. And it looks to me like you really really want that R33. So just ditch the Z and get your boosted dream car.