Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Who has replaced their clutch for premature wear in your 350Z? (Show of hands)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 03:35 AM
BigMike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WAMAson, what year is your car?
Old 05-19-2005, 03:37 AM
BigMike

Originally Posted by breakerboy
2000 dollars for the clutch? My dealer said if I need my clutch replaced they would know when they replace my tranny, and he said it would be around 500 bucks. I think you might want to try another dealership or something cause it doesnt sound right to me.. not sure, but someone else might know for sure.
If they already have the tranny out, then you're really only paying for parts. So $500 is about right considering maybe they'll have an extra one hour labor.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:32 AM
bigFenE

I noticed that on my 03 touring, bought used with 14.5k, now at 18k......that the cluth engaged down low and all of a sudden its now grabbing way up towards the top. There are no signs of slippage.

My question is, I let out the cluth slowly to avoid snappin the passengers neck, also because of my commute, 70miles one way in the Garden State Parkway, I'm inching along for miles daily. If I adjust it, won't all I'll be doing is moving that short span of grab point lower, and not really accomplishing anything?

Also, I don't beat the car or launch it crazily (I've spun out on a highway and am now a humble driver) but I do drive hard at times, I can't see the cost of the labor being more than $500 anywhere.

There has to be a really good cluth out there, who makes it? Nismo Shismo, seems they don't last any longer.

E
Old 05-19-2005, 08:29 AM
ind

Default 9 months into manual...

I've driven auto up until 9 months ago when I purchased my first manual (95 Maxima), so I'm not all up on the 'clutch/shifting terms'. I've been reading this thread, because I'm thinking real hard about a 35th Z... and of course I'm getting manual.

I've seen a lot of terms I'm not familiar with, hope you guys can explain:

slipping
pulling
dropping
side step

I have an idea about what dropping the clutch is... rev with clutch down, and then letting it out fast, but I have no idea what slipping, pulling, or side stepping is.

I also read someone shifts into lower gear at higher speeds to slow down instead of breaking. Does this have any consequence on the engine/transmission?

Thanks
Old 05-19-2005, 10:10 AM
350doc

Here's mine at 14,000 miles. I was told the blueing was a sign of abuse. The clutch pedal was always very firm, with a mushy biting point. Have replaced it with a Nismo clutch, and the pedal is MUCH lighter, with a distinct biting point. I have always driven manual cars, and my clutch has never worn out so prematurely. I do not track the car, and mainly drive on Freeways, with little urban driving. As a guide, I have original front brake pads at 38,000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails Who has replaced their clutch for premature wear in your 350Z? (Show of hands)-dsc01169.jpg  
Old 05-19-2005, 11:09 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alberto
Im at 47,000 miles now, on the stock clutch, and I rag the $hit out of it. Ive powershifted it thousands of times, and it still chirps 3rd gear as strong as it did from day 1. Maybe you received a defective clutch, our clutches are beasts-its handled a dozen or so high rpm launches on slicks as well for me.
+1 on that....I pulled out my stock clutch/flyhweel @ 36K and replaced with a JWT clutch/flywheel since I'm going to be boosted very soon and my clutch looked nearly brand new. (I'll try and take a picture later tonight) I drag race frequently, have taken the car to road courses and drive it relatively hard all the time. I was VERY impressed with how well the stock clutch held up to my abuse.