Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Who has replaced their clutch for premature wear in your 350Z? (Show of hands)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 04:54 AM
sage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Strife350z
for those of you who had to replace your clutch, what were the symptoms?
I 1st noticed a very bad smell. Like burning fluid. Then suddenly, the car would rev when I had it in gear. So if I was driving downthe freeway and just suddenly floored the gas, the car would rev to almost k RPM before the power would kick in.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:09 AM
WAMason

Originally posted by sage
I just got my clutch replaced and they just put in the NISMO flywheel and mine too was incredibly light. Your post pleases me, cause I kind of hope it gets harder again. My peronal taste, but i don't really like how it feels right now. If it stays this light, I'm sure I will get used to it, but...

Nissan paid for my replacement!! They picked up the entire cost. I saw the parts they took out, and I am convinced that the only reason Nissan took care of it was the Service Manger at the dealership really took care of me. I think he had to push them.
Well I'm pleased that they took care of you but I'm sure you'll understand if I'm also a little pissed off. I don't know why I'm getting such crappy treatment. I'm sure the difference was the service manager. They really haven't been much help. So, did they find anything else wrong or just the worn out clutch?

Yes, the clutch went back to being hard after a few days. It kind of bothered me that there was such a drastic change. It also did this to another gentleman that I talked to you so I'm sure yours will go back to "normal".

Now that it has been replaced, are you experiencing a weird noise like in my other post?
Old 12-13-2003, 08:41 AM
Dissident

Sorry to hijack the thread, but how does the engine rev with the NISMO flywheel?
Old 12-13-2003, 08:56 AM
sage

Originally posted by Dissident
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how does the engine rev with the NISMO flywheel?
Still way to early to give an opinion. I am taking it very easy so far.

But she sounds different. Not sure why or how much is just in my head, but I think she sounds differnet now.

I will post more over the next few weeks as I start to driver her harder.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:13 AM
sage

Originally posted by WAMason
Well I'm pleased that they took care of you but I'm sure you'll understand if I'm also a little pissed off. I don't know why I'm getting such crappy treatment. I'm sure the difference was the service manager. They really haven't been much help. So, did they find anything else wrong or just the worn out clutch?

Yes, the clutch went back to being hard after a few days. It kind of bothered me that there was such a drastic change. It also did this to another gentleman that I talked to you so I'm sure yours will go back to "normal".

Now that it has been replaced, are you experiencing a weird noise like in my other post?
Yeah, I felt bad about that. I hope it works out for you, but I think I just got VERY lucky. I am a bit suprised they took care of me, and I think it was only a combination of my dealing with the Service Manager right and him being a great guy and doing everything he could to take care of me. Nothing else was wrong other than a very worn out clutch. Except, it should NOT have worn out in just 16K miles. I don't ride the pedal or do any burn outs. I am reasonably well behaved except I drive very fast.

I am hearing noises, but I don't know yet how to describe it. Overall, I think she sounds a bit different as it revs. But that could be just in my head. I am hearing something though at around 2K RPM. I have just started hearing it, and I have no idea really what or how to describe what I heard but I wouldn't describe it like you did in your post. I just need to drive some more and I will post more.

Now on this subject. The service manager made sure they put on the paperwork the following.

"NISMO flywheel is a non flex flywheel. Clutch will feel and perform differently than the original. Hard take offs may cause damage to drive line (trans, rear end, drive shaft)."

Could someone please explain to a layperson like me exactly what the differences are between the NISMO flywheel and the original, and exactly what that means to me as I drive?

Last edited by sage; 12-13-2003 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:17 AM
fanatic6711

Does anyone else's clutch feel/sound creaky? Something's up with my clutch.... although the dealer I went to didn't think so....BS!
Old 12-13-2003, 09:19 AM
Twizt

IMHO If anyone want $2000 for a clutch replacement they are asking way too much.

$500 sound more reasonable.

I've got 15000 miles and no noticeable clutch slippage.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:46 AM
mwaller

Just wanted to share the latest. Last night, I picked up my car from the good folks at Performance Nissan. Among other things, they had replaced my transmission (thank god!) and inspected my clutch. To my great surprise and relief, my service advisor said there is very little wear on any part of my clutch, so I decided to leave it be. I figured the slight shudder I used to feel was just a design 'feature.' However, with the new transmission and accompanying clutch pedal assembly, the shudder is completely gone! Not only that, but the creaky feeling in the clutch pedal is also gone! I couldn't be happier. Oh, and the transmission seems great.
Mika
Old 12-15-2003, 08:00 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by mwaller
Just wanted to share the latest. Last night, I picked up my car from the good folks at Performance Nissan. Among other things, they had replaced my transmission (thank god!) and inspected my clutch. To my great surprise and relief, my service advisor said there is very little wear on any part of my clutch, so I decided to leave it be. I figured the slight shudder I used to feel was just a design 'feature.' However, with the new transmission and accompanying clutch pedal assembly, the shudder is completely gone! Not only that, but the creaky feeling in the clutch pedal is also gone! I couldn't be happier. Oh, and the transmission seems great.
Mika
Hey Mika, how many miles do you have on your Z right now?
Old 12-15-2003, 08:10 AM
mwaller

Just a few miles short of 25K miles!
Mika
Old 12-15-2003, 01:58 PM
sage

Originally posted by mwaller
However, with the new transmission and accompanying clutch pedal assembly, the shudder is completely gone! Not only that, but the creaky feeling in the clutch pedal is also gone! I couldn't be happier. Oh, and the transmission seems great.
Mika
Glad all is well now with your Z.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:01 PM
alex30327

Default Re: Who has replaced a clutch for premature wear in your 350Z? (Show of hands)

Did you do any burnouts in your car? If not, your clutch is either defective, or your particular driving style doesn't jive with the car. I have a friend that blew through his clutch on his brand new Toyota Celica after ~16K miles; he is not the best nor worst driver I have ever seen. I have another friend of mine that roasted his clutch in a landmark 10K miles. This happened about 10 years ago in a Dodge Plymouth Laser (Turbo version). The guy is still the best driver I know, but just drove the car very, very hard. He used to drop the clutch a lot trying to get better 0 to 60 times, he also used to floor the car at WOT just about everywhere he went.

Originally posted by WAMason

Hello All,

Just trying to get a count of how many of you have had to replace your clutch already. Mine happened at just over 11k and wasn't covered under warranty (clutch is a wear and tear item). It didn't sit quite right with me. The dealer (and Nissan USA) blamed my driving style. I've been driving manual transmissions for years and even it situations where the clutch should have burnt up it didn't (I drove my first manual transmission to well over 100k without needing a new clutch).

Anyway, the further I've delved into the matter, the more I'm seeing the same problem from other 350Z owners. I also found out that the Infiniti G35 6MT is having the exact same problem. Nissan/Infiniti has refused to pay in most cases.

If you're having similar problems relating to premature clutch wear, please share....

Thanks,
Wesley
Old 12-15-2003, 03:51 PM
Dissident

slipping the clutch is what kills it, not dropping it. What kills many clutches is people that rest their foot on it when they drive, when they are not shifting, and not realizing it they are causing it to slip all the time.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:44 PM
WAMason

I've been driving manual transmissions for almost 8 years now. I have NEVER had to replace a clutch, even on my first standard that I put over 100k miles on (which suprised the heck out of me). I don't ride with my foot on the clutch, I don't drop the clutch at high RPM's, I don't pull the clutch.... My car has 13k miles on it now and I'm still on the original tires with more than half the tread left. If I were abusing the car, I would think that would be the first thing to go. There is no explanation as to why the clutch wore out as quickly as it did. That is what has me so upset.

If I drag raced the car or street raced it regularly (or at all, for that matter), I could say, "maybe I shouldn't do that." But this happened during the normal course of daily driving. How do I know I won't be back every 10-12k miles to replace another one....
Old 12-18-2003, 01:17 PM
peterhong

Just a quick question to the people on this post. In the last few days I have noticed a squeeking/clicking sound on my clutch when the car is cold. After a few minutes of driving, everything seems fine after that, but the next morning the clutch will make these noises the first 5-7 times I hit the clutch.

The only way I can describe it is when I push the clutch to start the car there is no sound. But on the 2nd or 3rd time I hit the clutch (i.e. after reversing and going into 1st), the clutch will make a noticeable squeeking sound when I hit it. The squeeking sound will happen the next 2-3 times I hit the clutch and then after that it will make a clicking/popping sound the next 2-3 times I hit the clutch. After driving a little while, everything goes away like nothing has happened.

The car only has 7K miles on it and it just started doing this a few days ago. Any thoughts cause I am starting to get concerned now with this.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:48 PM
OBAN

WAMason,

Has anyone else driven the car without you in it? I once loaned my 240z to a friend. The clutch had about 20,000 miles on it and was fine. 5 hours later it was toast!
Old 12-18-2003, 01:49 PM
OBAN

^^ that was my first post. hello everyone.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:50 PM
Dissident

Originally posted by peterhong
Just a quick question to the people on this post. In the last few days I have noticed a squeeking/clicking sound on my clutch when the car is cold. After a few minutes of driving, everything seems fine after that, but the next morning the clutch will make these noises the first 5-7 times I hit the clutch.

The only way I can describe it is when I push the clutch to start the car there is no sound. But on the 2nd or 3rd time I hit the clutch (i.e. after reversing and going into 1st), the clutch will make a noticeable squeeking sound when I hit it. The squeeking sound will happen the next 2-3 times I hit the clutch and then after that it will make a clicking/popping sound the next 2-3 times I hit the clutch. After driving a little while, everything goes away like nothing has happened.

The car only has 7K miles on it and it just started doing this a few days ago. Any thoughts cause I am starting to get concerned now with this.
I have the same problem; dealer said there is a TSB, and has ordered me a new clutch assembly that oughtta remedy the problem.

Do all of you who had problems consistently rest your foot on the dead pedal when you're not shifting?
Old 12-18-2003, 06:18 PM
WAMason

Originally posted by OBAN
Has anyone else driven the car without you in it? I once loaned my 240z to a friend. The clutch had about 20,000 miles on it and was fine. 5 hours later it was toast!
Oh, absolutely not! I'm one of those "jerky" guys that will let NO ONE drive my car but me (not even the wife). I know you learn in kindergarten that your supposed to share but....

Dissident > I rest my foot on the dead pedal all the time. It's suprisingly in a very comfortable position. I've had them in other cars before but most of the time their too close to the floor board. But I really like the placement in the Z. Do you have anymore info on the TSB you mentioned?
Old 12-18-2003, 07:48 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

For curiosity's sake, could you guys (and girls) with problems post when you picked your Zs?

Quick Reply: Who has replaced their clutch for premature wear in your 350Z? (Show of hands)