Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Who has replaced their clutch for premature wear in your 350Z? (Show of hands)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 07:59 PM
WAMason

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has replaced a clutch for premature wear in your 350Z? (Show of hands)

Hello All,

Just trying to get a count of how many of you have had to replace your clutch already. Mine happened at just over 11k and wasn't covered under warranty (clutch is a wear and tear item). It didn't sit quite right with me. The dealer (and Nissan USA) blamed my driving style. I've been driving manual transmissions for years and even it situations where the clutch should have burnt up it didn't (I drove my first manual transmission to well over 100k without needing a new clutch).

Anyway, the further I've delved into the matter, the more I'm seeing the same problem from other 350Z owners. I also found out that the Infiniti G35 6MT is having the exact same problem. Nissan/Infiniti has refused to pay in most cases.

If you're having similar problems relating to premature clutch wear, please share....

Thanks,
Wesley
Old 12-01-2003, 08:19 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hrmmm,

I drive the daylights out of my car, side step the clutch most of the time, but i never pull my clutch...

Did you pull it alot, roll slowly while lifting the clutch pedal up slightly?

Sorry to hear about your problem Wesley

I hope you replaced it with a nismo clutch.. would be a bit stronger / last longer id think...
Old 12-01-2003, 09:17 PM
WAMason

I would say I pulled it no more than average. I tend to be very careful of doing that in particular.

Yes, I got the NISMO clutch, flywheel, etc. while it was in the shop. Might as well... the dealer could get it cheaper and faster than the stock replacements (so I was told). Hopefully it will last longer.

I really think I'm chasing a flaw here or I would've dropped it already. I've talked to several others who have had the same problem as me and their story is earily similar. I know there are more out there and there is even a whole load of G35 owners reporting the same thing.

I wonder if you can answer another question for me: The clutch pedal was always really hard to push. When I got it back, after the replacement, it was incredibly light. It felt like you were tapping your foot to music it was so quick and light. Then, about for days later, it was hard to push again and has been ever since. Any thoughts?
Old 12-01-2003, 09:54 PM
D'oh

Wow, 11,000 miles does seem very soon. Sorry to hear about that.

I have 27,000 on my clutch, and although I have definitely noticed wear, I'd say I'll probably make 60K with the original clutch.

My clutch has been fairly heavy since day 1, and that hasn't changed. It also engaged about a 1/2" off the floor, and now the engagement point is more like 2-3" (about 1/2 of the travel).

While I think Nissan is technically correct about not replacing the clutch, I think they missed out on an opportunity to really make a good impression and show some understanding. Good luck on resolving this issue.

-D'oh!
Old 12-03-2003, 12:06 PM
mwaller

I have 25K miles on my Z, and have felt the clutch beginning to slip, mostly when warm. While the clutch is still very useable, it bothers me (often can't get a smooth transition into 1st gear because it shudders and jerks a bit just before full engagment). Dealer confirmed that the clutch felt worn, but refused to replace under warranty - a wear item, as you said. I'm considering going the NISMO route.
Wesley - can you tell me more of your impressions of the NISMO setup? Can you engage smoothly, or does it shudder? Does the lighter flywheel make much of a difference in terms of driveablity?
Thanks!
Mika
Old 12-03-2003, 07:20 PM
WAMason

That's too bad that your clutch is going out too. I think even 25k miles is too soon. Are you not dissapointed? Does no one see the pattern here? Hello Nissan?!?!?!

Anyway, to answer your question Mika, I haven't had enough time with the NISMO setup to really decide. I'm still in the 1000 mile "break in" period so I really haven't pushed the clutch. The car doesn't seem to be as smooth as before but you can definitely tell the NISMO hooks up better. Shifting is much quicker and the NISMO pieces really grab when you let the clutch out. I imagine in a performance (quick shifting/racing) setting this is really good but I'm still out to lunch as to how it will be as a daily driver. I will post more as I get more miles on the car....
Old 12-04-2003, 07:14 AM
sage

Just over 16K mikes, and my clutch is toast. Just took my car in this morning, and ended up having a long discussion with the service manager. 16K is way too early to replace the clutch. I drive hard, but DO NOT abuse the clutch.

At first, the conversation was a bit strained. He was pointing out the new tires I had and all the nicks I have on the car, just trying to make it look like I must abuse the car. Eventually he understood that I was not just trying to get out of paying. If I wore the clutch out, then I need to know how I did it. If this is "normal", then I need to understand that too since I would be posting my story.

Ultimately, he understood that I was looking for an explanation of why. He said if they pull it out and there is a definite sign of a leak or a defect, he would put it through as warrenty. If not, I would be up a creek and have to pay. Regardless, he knows I am calling Nissan USA and am going to make a deal out of it. And he knows I will be posting whatever he ends up telling me the deal is.

But 16K miles, KNOWING how I drive, this is a problem. I will not replace the clutch every 16K miles. Just not going to happen. If te Z can't be driven well AND hard, what's the point?

I'll know more once they have pulled everything out and they can inspect the parts.

Last edited by sage; 12-04-2003 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:25 AM
WashUJon

Just to offer another perspective:

I never felt any problems with my clutch. The clutch pedal didn't need a lot of effort to disengage and the clutch engaged about 3/4 of the way up the pedal travel.

I sold my Z with 6k miles and never felt anything wrong with the clutch, besides very loud chatter on engagement. The only other thing it did was "slap" into gear with a clunk at low speeds sometimes (unpredictably). It never slipped or felt worn, however. I think the springs were lousy, though, and I'd bet my butt that's what caused the loud chattering AND the slapping.

Anyway, I thought I'd post what I felt was a normal clutch engagement/pedal feel...
Old 12-04-2003, 07:35 AM
JeffR116

Just curious....how much is it going to cost you to replace your clutch?
Old 12-04-2003, 11:40 AM
themyst

strange, I had 22k miles on my 350z before trading it in, and i saw no signs of slippage.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:18 PM
sage

Originally posted by JeffR116
Just curious....how much is it going to cost you to replace your clutch?
If I pay, about $2,000.

It would have been 300 more if they ordered the parts overnight. Instead, they are paying for a rental car for me until the parts come in on Monday. I thought that was a nice touch.

I'm comfortable the Service Manager will do the best he can for me. The dealership is getting paid one way or another. But if Nissan won't pay them, I know I have to. Just the way it is.

All I know is this. It coulda been me that burned the clutch out. But I have been driving manuals a long time. I sold my last at 126,000 miles on the original clutch. If course, it didn't have as much HP ;->

I'll find out tomarrow who pays. Regardless, I will at least let Nissan know my concern at having to get a new clutch at 16K miles.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:55 PM
Dissident

Clutch is a wear and tear item? My 240sx had the original clutch and it was still good at 250K. If it's "normal wear and tear" how often does the manual say it should be replaced?
Old 12-04-2003, 04:27 PM
D'oh

Originally posted by Dissident
Clutch is a wear and tear item? My 240sx had the original clutch and it was still good at 250K. If it's "normal wear and tear" how often does the manual say it should be replaced?
Hehe, nice try but I think the manual only shows items that require PM (preventative maintenance).

For example, tires are considered wear and tear, but the manual won't tell you when to replace them.

Although this brings up a good point. Nissan will let you get new tires under warranty, due to the feathering issue, so maybe if enough people have problems with the clutch they will initiate a policy on that as well.

IMO, anything under 50K miles for a clutch is too soon unless you are really abusing it.

-D'oh!
Old 12-04-2003, 04:31 PM
specialp

$2000 for a clutch ????!!!!!! ouch. I would not even let them open it. I think they are certainly going to make you pay somehow or another.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:51 PM
OC_350Z

Default Question....

went 70k+ on my 1995 M3 before replacing the clutch. I have a question for you. When I start my car, I hear a noise that sounds like my throw out bearing is going out. When I push in the clutch, the sound goes away. The reason I ask is it's the same sound my M3 made right before the clutch went out. My Z has 10k miles but has always made this sound. I check with CMJ on this board, his car makes the same sound.....what's up with that?
Old 12-12-2003, 05:38 PM
WAMason

Well I am sorry to hear that another person is having the same trouble with Nissan. So did you have to pay for it sage?

My saga with Nissan USA continues. I don't know if any of you have tried to call 1800NISSAN1 but it isn't the best customer "service" line I have called. Only the person who opens your case can work on it. I have literally only talked to the lady once, when I originally open it. Shortly thereafter, she was in an accident and took some time away from work (which I COMPLETELY understand). In her absence, I requested to speak to her supervisor. This was an absolute joke. She called me 2 days later and I happened to miss the call. I called her right back and explained I will be around the phone for the next few hours. She called back 2 days later (which I missed). I called her again and told her I would be available for the next day and a half. She never called. I called her again a few days ago and left a message. I told her I would be available for the next two days at any time. She never called. During this time, I spoke with another CSR. Although she couldn't "work" on my case, she did read me the notes. She said that Nissan made their decision and the case had been closed and that they will not pay. This is rediculous. I only spoke to the lady the first time to confirm that the clutch is a warranty. I never even had the opportunity to give them the information I have found.

This is the worst service I have had in a long time. I am a repeat Nissan customer (I currently have the 350z and a 2002 Xterra). I was interested in the 350z Roadster but I think I'm out of the Nissan family permanently. I knew I should've gotten the BMW.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:17 PM
breakerboy

2000 dollars for the clutch? My dealer said if I need my clutch replaced they would know when they replace my tranny, and he said it would be around 500 bucks. I think you might want to try another dealership or something cause it doesnt sound right to me.. not sure, but someone else might know for sure.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:48 PM
Vitamin Z

Default Re: Question....

Originally posted by OC_350Z
When I start my car, I hear a noise that sounds like my throw out bearing is going out. When I push in the clutch, the sound goes away. The reason I ask is it's the same sound my M3 made right before the clutch went out. My Z has 10k miles but has always made this sound. I check with CMJ on this board, his car makes the same sound.....what's up with that?
I have the same noise, and I'm kind of worrying about it. My tranny was swapped once already and the new one is starting to fill stiff in the 2nd and 3rd whenever the car is cold. I'm calling the dealer next week.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:42 PM
sage

Originally posted by WAMason
I would say I pulled it no more than average. I tend to be very careful of doing that in particular.

Yes, I got the NISMO clutch, flywheel, etc. while it was in the shop. Might as well... the dealer could get it cheaper and faster than the stock replacements (so I was told). Hopefully it will last longer.

I really think I'm chasing a flaw here or I would've dropped it already. I've talked to several others who have had the same problem as me and their story is earily similar. I know there are more out there and there is even a whole load of G35 owners reporting the same thing.

I wonder if you can answer another question for me: The clutch pedal was always really hard to push. When I got it back, after the replacement, it was incredibly light. It felt like you were tapping your foot to music it was so quick and light. Then, about for days later, it was hard to push again and has been ever since. Any thoughts?

I just got my clutch replaced and they just put in the NISMO flywheel and mine too was incredibly light. Your post pleases me, cause I kind of hope it gets harder again. My peronal taste, but i don't really like how it feels right now. If it stays this light, I'm sure I will get used to it, but...

Nissan paid for my replacement!! They picked up the entire cost. I saw the parts they took out, and I am convinced that the only reason Nissan took care of it was the Service Manger at the dealership really took care of me. I think he had to push them.

For those folks in the Raleigh area, Mark is the Service Manager at Micheal Jordan Nissan and I can not say enough how well he took care of me. I aleady had great trust in their service department and they completely lived up to that trust.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:04 AM
Strife350z

for those of you who had to replace your clutch, what were the symptoms?

Quick Reply: Who has replaced their clutch for premature wear in your 350Z? (Show of hands)