Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

10 Most popular sports cars (MSN)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 11:23 AM
jacksdream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 Most popular sports cars (MSN)

From MSN list of 10 most popular cars- 12/3/2003

"Rounding out the top ten are two high-performance exotics from Ferrari. The Ferrari 360 Modena holds ninth position. Available as a coupe or convertible, the 360 features a 400-horsepower V8 with an available Formula One-style transmission. The tenth spot is taken by the newest supercar to come from the Italian automaker. The Ferrari Enzo is practically a street-legal Formula One racer, boasting a 660-horsepower V12 engine. Only 399 copies of this exotic will be produced, and all have reportedly been sold.

Here's the complete list of the most popular sports cars on MSN Autos:

1. Nissan 350Z
2. Ford Mustang
3. Mazda RX-8
4. Honda S2000
5. Acura RSX
6. BMW Z4
7. Chevrolet Corvette
8. BMW Z8
9. Ferrari 360 Modena
10. Ferrari Enzo"
Old 12-03-2003, 11:31 AM
Poison123
Google Bot

sad part is the RX-8 isn't a sports car. Compare that one to the rest of the list and its got what half the torque of anyone of the cars at best, except the RSX.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:43 AM
Jim Jones
Banned

Default Now that's interesting

Assuming that 1 is best or most popular (not 10), this list MUST be price dependent. Otherwise, how can the 350Z ($28k - $35k) come out first and the Ferrari Enzo ($659k !!!) come out last?
Old 12-03-2003, 11:46 AM
jacksdream

Default More:

Almost immediately after it went on sale, the 350Z rocketed to the top of the sports car list and has been camped out in that position ever since. The 350Z is powered by a 287-horsepower V6 engine mated with a standard 6-speed manual transmission.

Sorry for the sloppy cut and paste-
Old 12-03-2003, 11:50 AM
jacksdream

"The list of the ten most popular sports cars on MSN Autos is based on monthly visits to the site's vehicle research pages. "
Old 12-03-2003, 11:59 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

RX-8 and RSX as bona fide sports cars... um, not. Yes, they lean towards 'sporty' but are not powered 'sports-wise.'

Oh well...
Old 12-10-2003, 05:28 AM
twospoons

Originally posted by yobri
RX-8 and RSX as bona fide sports cars... um, not. Yes, they lean towards 'sporty' but are not powered 'sports-wise.'

Oh well...
So if the 350z had 40hps less it would cease to be
a sports car?
Old 12-10-2003, 07:26 AM
mcduck

No, but if you added two seats and two doors it would cease to be. Then it would be a G35 and fall into the grand touring of GT category, I guess
Old 12-10-2003, 12:29 PM
twospoons

Originally posted by mcduck
No, but if you added two seats and two doors it would cease to be. Then it would be a G35 and fall into the grand touring of GT category, I guess
So a MCLaren F1 with 3 seats is almost not a sports car.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:35 PM
dczoner

I've sat in an F1. Trust me, those things behind the driver are barely seats. Think "porsche" back seats - with less room. But the center drivers seat is comfy as hell!
Old 12-10-2003, 12:38 PM
twospoons

Originally posted by dczoner
I've sat in an F1. Trust me, those things behind the driver are barely seats. Think "porsche" back seats - with less room. But the center drivers seat is comfy as hell!
But who cares when you own a F1 :P

My point is that there is no exact definition of a sports car.

I kinda like this definiton tho:

"A true sports car is a performance car whose primary function is to provide driving pleasure, and to allow the driver to immerse himself in that experience and communicate with the road as directly as possible. Its purpose is pure and singleminded.

The idea of a sports car has always been the same and it will never change. The designs will change as times change. But the concept will always remain.

A true sports car is light, direct and does without the things that more pedestrian vehicles possess. It is often derived from a race car in some fashion. The car may be a direct variation of a race car. It may feature technology and design from a race car. Or the people who designed and developed it have a competition background. It has heritage.

The car rewards drivers who are skilled and able. All drivers are not created equal. Those who can best feel and understand the subtle messages of the machine are rewarded with the greatest satisfaction. A sports car is meant to be driven well quickly. "
Old 12-10-2003, 02:12 PM
RIVET

Default RX-8 is definitley a sports car.

It turns lap times almost identical to a 350z on most tracks. A sports car is not defined by 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. Think about how many classic sports cars you would eliminated from the sports car category if that was the only criteria. I personally laugh at guys who spend tons of money to make a sports car run fast 1/4 mile times. My neighbors primered Camaro does 12's and he has about $5000.00 in the whole car. Horses for courses folks. Wait until Racing Beat puts together a tricked out version of the RX-8.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:34 PM
cincyspider

How dumb!

So my 300ZX 2+2 wasn't a sports car? It handled better than the 2 seater.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:19 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by twospoons
a sports car?
Quite possibly... most "classified" sports cars tend to have two seats (exceptions exist with the M3, etc.) and then there are sport sedans (like the M5, or even the Maxima with the 4DSC)... now the RX-8 and RSX are more weighted towards sports economy class... they fit a higher definition of functionality than specifically-classed sports cars.

Looks like you some of you guys like the RX-8, and I'm not gonna down you on your opinions. Compare the RX-8 versus the Z from everything outside the performance realm. Then factor in the engine capabilities and performance. You'll see that the 8 doesn't quite fit the "impractical" class, with sports cars with the likes of the Z, Porsches, Vettes, etc.

I can bear with the 8 being a sports economy class, like the Type-S, Civic Si, Celica GT-S, etc., but it simply doesn't compare with the Z, sports (technical enthusiast) class-wise. If you want practicality, you sacrifice in other areas, like with the Z. Or you simply buy more expensive cars that will suffice (for "sports" and practicality) both like the M3, some Audis, etc. And yes, those bad boys pack power, a la "sports," even with more than two seats.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:24 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Ya guys gotta think, if most of the enthusiasts here didn't want a true sports car in every stereotypical sense of the term, then we would have G35s, which accommodate luxury, practicality and power in one package. Quite sporty looking.... but not quite the same as the Z... and trust me, the 'enthusiasts' know the difference.

I can't imagine telling my friends to come and check out my sports car, and then have them come out to see my Type-S (they'd laugh me into shame). And the Type-S and the 8 are virtually identical creature feature-wise.

Last edited by yobri; 12-10-2003 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:32 PM
xlacrosse

I guess my Mustang Cobra isnt a sports car since it has 4 seats.

Too bad my G35 coupe isnt a sports car its a GRAND Touring.... ill call my insurance co and ask y im paying sports car like prices

But the BEST line in this whole thread is that an M3 is a true sports car.... Hmm leather and 333 HP = Sports Car. Ill get that in mind when i go shopping for my next sports car.

You people need to get a clue
Old 12-10-2003, 04:37 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Reread again. The line is thin, but the argument you just replied doesn't not fit what I just supplied. Just what type of sports car is it... it may be sports, but your Cobra may better fit that of the likes with the M3 (not power output) and not the 8.

Some people are just a little too sensitive...
Old 12-10-2003, 04:46 PM
xlacrosse

just please explain what makes an m3 a true sports car.... it has 333 hP , its fast, its got tight suspension oh and seating for 4.

What diffrence is there between a M3 and a G35 Coupe.

G35 might have less output and dont handel as sharp, so does that not make it a sports car??

If you follow that argument, then your car isnt a sports car compared to an Enzo...
Old 12-10-2003, 04:57 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

I never directly quoted that the G35 is not a sports car, but weighs in closer to luxury sports as opposed the "impractical, stereotypical" sports car. I think it takes a blend of the best of both worlds... the Z does not have the smoothness and luxury of the G... but the two are different for a reason. Not everyone that wants a Z can really deal with the impracticality of the Z. So the G becomes an option, with all its refinements and such, slowly gravitating away from the "stereotypical" sports car to a "luxury" sports car, like the SL500.

I'm not trying to argue this point any further. Everyone is not going to see thing in specifics (or even with exceptions, e.g., M3, your Cobra). To some, a base 2-door Civic qualifies as a sports car, so I'll leave it there. Every two door car is a sports car, ok? Some four door cars too.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:43 PM
buzzdsm

I think the RX-8, RSX, Miata, etc fall into the low powered sports car market

The Z is middle powered sports cars

The M3, Corvette, etc High powered sports cars

Each have their benefits. I really get sick of people slamming on the RX-8. I think it has a lot of good qualities. I like the Z more but if certain things are important to you then you may go with the RX-8. It's funny because I used to hear the same things about the Miata but now people have looked past the low power and realized that it's a fun car.

Quick Reply: 10 Most popular sports cars (MSN)