2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Might be selling my Z??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 05:51 PM
raceboy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might be selling my Z??

Well, the time is coming up for me to make some decisions. I want to do a full season of karting next year and I also have a Lotus Elise on the way. I am also buying a new Nissan Titan in the next month or so to haul the karts and tow whatever car I end up with to the track. The question comes up if I should sell the Z??

The hardest part for me about selling the Z is all the time I have personally invested in it. Not to mention all the money including the $3000 I just shoveled in with the LSD, Race Seat, Harness, and Roll bar. I would probably have to part the car out and return it to as much as stock as possible.

If someone offered me $27,000 (no less) though with all the mods, I think I would jump at it. That includes the spare set of race wheels/tires and race and regular seats. Is that a fair price? The car has only 14,000 miles and has been well taken care of. It has had 6 oil changes in that time and it now has a brand new tranny.

I can afford to keep the Z, but I just don't have room for all these cars!! Especially with that big *** Titan taking up most of my driveway!!!!! I am almost kinda hoping I can't fit my big *** in a U.S. Spec Elise so I can end my suffering! What do you think??
Old 12-05-2003, 07:06 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Not you too.... all the board veterans are slowly selling their Z's (already!)...

Do whatcha gotta do.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:36 PM
barrybell

As Clint Eastwood says "Man needs to know his limitations" you know your finances, you know you should keep it and lose the Lotus.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:02 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eh build a second garage(think hyrdrolic lifts and all the goodies!)

otherwise do what you gotta do. sounds like your looking at a truck and 2 impractical cars. if your ok with the truck being your daily driver, take the elise, if not, the Z might be better.

personally Id be takin the elise. like a street legal go kart!
Old 12-05-2003, 08:10 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you need money for the Elise or Titan or is this simply a space issue?
Old 12-05-2003, 08:29 PM
Mikestro

Why should people on the internet decide if you have enough room in your driveway? Since this is the only reason you stated for selling the Z.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:50 PM
D'oh

Wow, congrats on the Elise! That car should be tons of fun.

I'd have a hard time selling the Z after so much time and money invested in it, so I'd probably want to keep it around for a while at least just to see if it could be done.

I say park the Titan on the Street, the Z in the driveway, and the Elise in the garage (since it's so light that someone might decide to get a few friends and just carry it away).

Hell, you could get one of those garage lifts and raise the Elise up over the Z and stack them both in the garage.

I hope they have the Elise available for test drive after it's been here a couple years. My next car will probably be one of those or a C6 vette. Man, the next several years are looking good for sports cars.

Raceboy, next time you gotta remember not to buy all of them at once!

-D'oh!
Old 12-05-2003, 09:22 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Just buy a bigger seat for the Elise if needed. If you get that car, who is going to keep up with you on the track? I say get a Yugo and I MIGHT feel confident enough then to race you for pink slips but not sure about it even then.

The 350Z is a car that generates passion thus some purchase it for that reason and not for need. I purchased mine and I dont even need a car. I got a perfectly good running truck.

Maybe the Elise generates more passion for him now than the Z? Just a guess...

Jeff - zland

Last edited by zland; 12-05-2003 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:58 PM
raceboy
Banned

It's really a space issue. We also have the Infiniti I35 and I was gonna get the Titan pretty decked out so it wouldn't be that bad to actually have to drive it. I also ultimately think the Elise, once properly modified ) will be one hell of a track car with very little else able to keep up. On the other hand, the Z is like a chunky chick you know with the pretty face that knows how to please!!

I also currently have 2 race karts in my garage, not to mention all my tools and R/C Cars/Planes etc. I am just a big kid trapped in a 32yr old body.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:03 PM
benzz280

oh man, if you have decided to sell it earlier, i would have picked yours up for 27k, no doubt
Old 12-05-2003, 10:04 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Originally posted by ares
...personally Id be takin the elise. like a street legal go kart!
All joking aside it really isn't much bigger than a go kart. I was amazed it was so small when I actually saw it in person. As far as fitting in the car, in the picture below, the guy in the black shirt is Nazar (makes the sub box for the Z) who is maybe 5' 8" and couldn't fit in it. Replacement seats may be hard to come by for a while as there isn't much room to work with in there (see second picture).

Raceboy, you are the last person I would expect to sell the car. Sorry to (maybe) see you go...

Old 12-06-2003, 02:28 AM
35oZephyR

Originally posted by raceboy

I also currently have 2 race karts in my garage, not to mention all my tools and R/C Cars/Planes etc. I am just a big kid trapped in a 32yr old body.
Sorry to detract from your thread raceboy...but with having the same interests..i'm curious...

What Scale RC cars are you into? 1/10th? Nitro or electric? What brand?

What kinda Race Karts do you have? how much did they cost ya?

and on yeah...WTF do you do for a living because I need a road map to a hobby filled life like yours!
Old 12-06-2003, 03:19 AM
TCL

Originally posted by Anyone2u
All joking aside it really isn't much bigger than a go kart. I was amazed it was so small when I actually saw it in person. As far as fitting in the car, in the picture below, the guy in the black shirt is Nazar (makes the sub box for the Z) who is maybe 5' 8" and couldn't fit in it.
What caused the fit problem? Leg room, head room, or shoulder room?
Old 12-06-2003, 04:40 AM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Originally posted by TCL
What caused the fit problem? Leg room, head room, or shoulder room?
Width. He installs car stereos and alarms for a living and has been in literally thousands of cars. According to him, this is one of the smallest interiors he has ever seen (smaller than a Miata or a mid engine MR2). Here's a video showing a guy Getting in and out of the Elise. BTW, I gave his height to give a perspective of the car.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:57 AM
VandyZ

The question is will the elise take the place of the z (on the track)? You have spent a pretty penny to track your car the way you do. $27,000 is very fair if you ask me. I have an idea . . . the elise is small and will become your track car, part out your Z, put the stock parts back on and use the storage space you were using for those to store the elise. Any way, I think anyone here would say keep the Z if it is not a $$$ issue. But if it becomes the bastard car it does no one any good sitting!

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2003, 05:44 AM
jj1814

I think you should keep them all and store the Elise in the bed of the Titan

LoL just kidding. But yeah...can you add on to your garage? or build a second garage/carport or something? This is what my neighbors did. They have 1 carport at the front of the house with the original driveway, 1 garage around the side of the house, and another carport in the back yard...each using a second driveway they had laid. It doesnt look tacky cuz they had plenty land for it.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:15 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I would keep in mind how reliable the Z has been on the track, if you think the Z had issues being a first year car I would be weary of the Elise, I know it is in the UK but when I was at the track early this year an Elise and Exige were there but the Elise broke down after a few laps, lets face it is a british car.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:15 AM
trackstar

Raceboy, out of curiosity, did they give you a firm price on the Elsie? I assume you put a deposit down.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:32 AM
3-fity

I think you should sell it to me for 27K
Old 12-06-2003, 10:06 AM
TCL

Originally posted by Anyone2u
Width. He installs car stereos and alarms for a living and has been in literally thousands of cars. According to him, this is one of the smallest interiors he has ever seen (smaller than a Miata or a mid engine MR2). ....
When I read the article about the Elise in Road & Track a month or so ago the car looked interesting until I got to the part where they said the exterior is smaller than a Miata. From your post it sounds like the interior is as well. Looks like the entire lot will end up in the hands of small framed racers.

Quick Reply: Might be selling my Z??