2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Automatic vs Manual driving skills in a 350z

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011 | 08:14 PM
sportbiketed

Old 05-25-2011 | 08:20 PM
Arvin89

ACTUALLY!!

Id say that it does require some skill and brain power to keep the car from wrapping around a tree. Regardless of AT or MT. So yes, regardless of the transmission, it takes skill to drive any car.

Troll...
Old 05-25-2011 | 08:26 PM
franky65

Originally Posted by HDPDZO6
Oh, I know you. You are the elite MT driver with all the skillz!

As C5 indicated... Go to the track and get in a 6-9 second AT and see how much skill it doesn't require...
I was talking about a manual vs automatic car the assumption was that both cars were the same. Assume that we have idk? a stock HR Z manual vs an automatic HR Z. I'll bet you 1 grand I would win on the track or the street.

Last edited by franky65; 05-25-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2011 | 08:29 PM
Amirs350z

Old 05-25-2011 | 08:32 PM
abui01

Do you really think all automatic drivers simply mash on the pedal and go straight? Sorry to break the news, but in reality people don't live their lives a 1/4 mile at a time.

Come out to Summit, you can run one of my students who has a POS automatic 4-banger pushing no more than 150whp. You can even have a 30+ car length head start to make it fair.

"Ask any racer, any REAL racer, it's not about what transmission you got, it's how ya drive your car... you better learn that."
Old 05-25-2011 | 08:34 PM
franky65

Originally Posted by abui01
Do you really think all automatic drivers simply mash on the pedal and go straight? Sorry to break the news, but in reality people don't live their lives a 1/4 mile at a time.

Come out to Summit, you can run one of my students who has a POS automatic 4-banger pushing no more than 150whp. You can even have a 30+ car length head start to make it fair.

"Ask any racer, any REAL racer, it's not about what transmission you got, it's how ya drive your car... you better learn that."

It has a lot to do with the transmission. In a manual car I am the master of the car. All mistakes that I make or all perfect shifts that I make are dictated by my actions not some computer making automatic shifts you're a CHAMP dude seriously.
Old 05-25-2011 | 08:35 PM
C5_vette

Originally Posted by franky65
I was talking about a manual vs automatic car the assumption was that both cars were the same. Assume that we have idk? a stock HR Z manual vs an automatic HR Z. I'll bet you 1 grand I would rip a new *** hole out of you at the track or the street.
wow dude I was at the track with you... you ran pulled a freaking 2.1 6 foot and you are over here talking Sh*t????

with that kind of launch I would put my money on the AT haha.... if you are going to talk.. at least have something to back it up with...

and seriously who makes a thread like this?? its like something a 16 year old would make..... i know you are real proud of your 13.1 with a 2.1 60 ft... but you need to get out to a roadcourse/time attack and learn some humility....
Old 05-25-2011 | 08:36 PM
HDPDZO6

I was talking about a manual vs automatic car the assumption was that both cars were the same. Assume that we have idk? a stock HR Z manual vs an automatic HR Z. I'll bet you 1 grand I would rip a new *** hole out of you at the track or the street.
My Z is close to stock (only an intake & a tune). I'll take you up on that offer. Let me know when you are near Vegas.
Old 05-25-2011 | 08:38 PM
franky65

Originally Posted by C5_vette
wow dude I was at the track with you... you ran pulled a freaking 2.1 6 foot and you are over here talking Sh*t????

with that kind of launch I would put my money on the AT haha.... if you are going to talk.. at least have something to back it up with...

and seriously who makes a thread like this?? its like something a 16 year old would make..... i know you are real proud of your 13.1 with a 2.1 60 ft... but you need to get out to a roadcourse/time attack and learn some humility....
Yeah sorry I forgot I run some really ****y times at the track sorry I totally forgot that I had some cheap 75 buck continentals and no proper tires. Of course I would have a 2.0-2.1 60 foot when Im running on some garbage tires. Yeah excuse me and my 13.1 time man it's all rubbish AUTOMATIC FOR THE WIN GUYS AUTOMATIC.

Last edited by franky65; 05-25-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2011 | 08:38 PM
C5_vette

It has a lot to do with the transmission. In a manual car I am the master of the car. All mistakes that I make or all perfect shifts that I make are dictated by my actions not some computer making automatic shifts you're a CHAMP dude seriously.
wow you are really missing the point..... no one gives a crap about shifts... mr master... do you even know the first thing about finding a line, turn in, braking points exit speed etc..... do you even still have your z?

why dont you take him up on his summit point offer??? and classic ricer making excuses........

Last edited by C5_vette; 05-25-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-25-2011 | 08:39 PM
franky65

My Z is close to stock (only an intake & a tune). I'll take you up on that offer. Let me know when you are near Vegas.
Try running 13.2@108 mph then come holler at me. You can do it with an intake, tune and add an exhaust too

Last edited by franky65; 05-25-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-25-2011 | 08:42 PM
franky65

wow you are really missing the point..... no one gives a crap about shifts... mr master... do you even know the first thing about finding a line, turn in, braking points exit speed etc..... do you even still have your z?

why dont you take him up on his summit point offer??? and classic ricer making excuses........
The point is this dude I have driven an automatic and a manual. It does not matter if I pull a 1.9 60 foot or a 2.1 60 foot. I can assure you that in an automatic Z be it an HR or a DE I would not be able to improve my times as significantly as a manual. Where as in a manual Z I can correct my shift points, I can correct my launch, clutch control etc......... The point is that in a manual I control my destiny and not a computer. Why is this simple point eluding you guys seriously?

Last edited by franky65; 05-25-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-25-2011 | 08:42 PM
HDPDZO6

Try running 13.1@109 mph or 13.2@108 mph then come holler at me. You can do it with an intake, tune and add an exhaust too
I run low to mid 12's... But I can sip on a latte and slow it down some for you if you want.
Old 05-25-2011 | 08:45 PM
franky65

I run low to mid 12's... But I can sip on a latte and slow it down some for you if you want.
Running mid 12s in a Z with intake and tune?
Old 05-25-2011 | 08:46 PM
C5_vette

The point is this dude I have driven an automatic and a manual. It does not matter if I pull a 1.9 60 foot or a 2.1 60 foot. I can assure you that in an automatic Z be it an HR or a DE I would not be able to improve my times. Where as in a manual Z I can correct my shift points, I can correct my launch, clutch control etc......... The point is that in a manual I control my destiny and not a computer. Why is this simple point eluding you guys seriously?
once again you are wrong, and guys with higher horsepower cars will tell you this, they have to do just as must adjusting with throttle input etc... also what part about driver skill are you missing when it comes driving around corners??? doesn't matter if its MT/AT driver skill is what matters... yet this continues to allude you....

also since you seem to be fascinated with the 1/4 all the legit 1/4 mile cars are Auto... and it takes a ton of skill to control those....

also as I asked before do you even still own your Z??
Old 05-25-2011 | 08:47 PM
HDPDZO6

Running mid 12s in a Z with intake and tune?
Yes. It's not an automatic, though (but then again I'm not the one talking sh*t about those who choose to drive AT's).

Intake & tune only (did replace tires though with KDW's).
Old 05-25-2011 | 08:49 PM
franky65

once again you are wrong, and guys with higher horsepower cars will tell you this, they have to do just as must adjusting with throttle input etc... also what part about driver skill are you missing when it comes driving around corners??? doesn't matter if its MT/AT driver skill is what matters... yet this continues to allude you....

also since you seem to be fascinated with the 1/4 all the legit 1/4 mile cars are Auto... and it takes a ton of skill to control those....

also as I asked before do you even still own your Z??
No I do not own my Z anymore ironically I drive an automatic car HAHA but I'd be the first to say that driving it is simply smashing the pedal.
Old 05-25-2011 | 08:49 PM
abui01

he's only 25, not like he's got any money for a real road course event to play w/ the big boys.

With that in mind, lets give him a year to prepare. No modification or HP restrictions. You're more than welcome to slap on twin turbos, install 2 NOS tanks, run any tire you wish.

The only thing we ask on our end: you must start 30+ car lengths in front.

And since my guy rocks an automatic, I'll only permit him to drive w/ 1 hand gum taped to the steering wheel.
Old 05-25-2011 | 08:50 PM
franky65

Yes. It's not an automatic, though (but then again I'm not the one talking sh*t about those who choose to drive AT's).

Intake & tune only (did replace tires though with KDW's).
Okay well I ran 13.2 @108 mph all stock with some cheap tires.
Old 05-25-2011 | 08:51 PM
franky65

Originally Posted by abui01
he's only 25, not like he's got any money for a real road course event to play w/ the big boys.

With that in mind, lets give him a year to prepare. No modification or HP restrictions. You're more than welcome to slap on twin turbos, install 2 NOS tanks, run any tire you wish.

The only thing we ask on our end: you must start 30+ car lengths in front.

And since my guy rocks an automatic, I'll only permit him to drive w/ 1 hand gum taped to the steering wheel.
Hey Mr. Miyagi I drive an automatic car myself.

Quick Reply: Automatic vs Manual driving skills in a 350z