Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Questions about 04 models

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 01:12 PM
squll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about 04 models

Hi. I am new to this form. It has been very helpful to see people posting their experience about the Z car. I am thinking to purchase one sometime next year. I have been noticed that many Z owners have posted there is tire feathering issue. For 04 Z car owners, do you have any tire feathering problem with your Z cars? And, do you have anything you like and dislike about 04 models? Much appreciate.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:53 PM
Hey Ya

First of all, welcome to the forum.

I have an '04 with no tire feathering at 3k miles. I love my Z but there are a few things that I dislike (nothing serious):

-Interior rattles
-Paint chips on front bumper (should have gotten a clear bra)
-Leaky rear windshield washer
-Not fast enough (need to install my pulleys!)

I've heard of these things on both '03s and '04s, as for any problems specific to '04s, I haven't had any. But I have no regrets buying this car. You might try a general search for problems with the Z, or look to see what's hot in the repairing section.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:55 PM
EL Diablo

Love my 04TRACK. No issues worth mentioning.

here is a great thread on the 04's and problems, or lack of.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=41861

Check out the Search, there are lots of stuff on the 04's
Old 12-08-2003, 02:05 PM
Dissident

Originally posted by ShoveIt
First of all, welcome to the forum.

I have an '04 with no tire feathering at 3k miles. I love my Z but there are a few things that I dislike (nothing serious):

-Interior rattles
-Paint chips on front bumper (should have gotten a clear bra)
-Leaky rear windshield washer
-Not fast enough (need to install my pulleys!)

I've heard of these things on both '03s and '04s, as for any problems specific to '04s, I haven't had any. But I have no regrets buying this car. You might try a general search for problems with the Z, or look to see what's hot in the repairing section.

Hope this helps.
Ditto. I've got 7500 miles and no tire problems yet. Some minor noises here and there, but they'll get another look at during the next oil change, as well my my occaisionally clicking driver's seat.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:25 PM
squll

Thanks for the replies. That really helps. I am planning to get a Touring model the beginning of next year to replace my old car. I have been looking for a new car for several months already and checking different car manufactures. The Z car left me a very strong impression. I guess the look of the car is just so good. I try to think of some other cars (SUV and Sedan), but always go back to the Z. I think I won’t regret after I get it.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:04 PM
oscarmayer00

Buy a Z built in March after they work the bugs out of the new plant.

Nissan moves the Fairlady(350Z) to the Tochigi plant

Nissan moves the Fairlady to the Tochigi plant
Nissan Motor Company has announced that it will transfer production of the Fairlady Z (350Z) and the Fairlady Z Roadster (350Z Roadster) from its Oppama Plant to its Tochigi Plant, with output at Tochigi due to commence in January 2004. The current Fairlady Z has been on sale since the summer of 2002, and sales of the new Fairlady Z Roadster launched on October 1, 2003. Nissan needs the Oppama plant to concentrate on such models as the March (Micra), the Cube and the Cube Cubic. The Fairlady Z is currently produced on the same line as the March. To increase production efficiency, Nissan has decided to transfer production of the Fairlady Z to the Tochigi Plant, where models such as the Skyline (Infiniti G35) are produced using the same platform as the Fairlady Z.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:35 PM
350zWhite04

i just bought 04 base in peak white about a month ago(im at around 1600ish).
minor problems i faced was...
1) strong fume smell while reving the engine high(something like exhaust fumes/engine burning).
2)crazy amounts of break dust(you clean it one day next day it looks like hubcaps again).
3)wierd humming noise from rear at 80-90mph.

but all these are minor jus some nuissance.
but over all Z was a good deal for me for 26,500 and because i am 19 i expected high insurance but i pay lower insurance(cheaper by 600 dollars compared to my 96 ls integra) cause of the 5 star safety report.

OVERALL i think Z is a great car... and indeed it is my Fairlady~
Old 12-08-2003, 04:30 PM
squll

Quite: "Buy a Z built in March after they work the bugs out of the new plant. Nissan moves the Fairlady(350Z) to the Tochigi plant."

Thanks for the insight. That's good to know. By the way, I know I need to do my homework to shop around for pricing for 04 Touring. Does anyone know a good nissan dealer with good price? I am living in Mountain View, CA. Thank you.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:31 AM
Bertg

Go to www.nissanusa.com and enter your zip code to find a Nissan dealer in your area. Good luck!
Old 12-09-2003, 09:27 AM
jpc350

Default Use Edmunds .com

Can't help you in Ca. but I can pass along some information on how I bought my 04 Touring for 1k over Invoice.
Using edmunds.com and filling out the info on what options I wanted it gets sent to several local dealers to bid. Got a call from one that had the exact car I wanted. Told him I will only pay 1k over Invoice. He checks with the boss man and he comes back and say's ok.

Next day I pick up the car for 1k over Invoice and drive home.

What I learned in the process.

In parallel I was also negotiating with another dealer and wasn't getting anywhere and here's why.

The salesman (other dealer)works on Commission(12-15%)the guy I was working with at the dealer where I bought the car was on salary.He didn't have to drive up the price (No commission) He simply had to get the boss to say ok. If you decide to try this simply ask the folks who call if they work on comm..Good luck and of course supply and demand is alive and well in Ca..
Old 12-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Beamm

1300 miles on 04

Break dust is mad crazy, no real problem
Sometimes I do get a fume smell as well as mentioned on here before
Tranny may or may not be problem
Old 12-09-2003, 10:32 AM
wakaZ

1100 mi. no big issues yet, only minor stuff like above (paint chips easy) Also SB is really easy to scratch. My black 2001 Jetta had tougher paint!

Road noise is also noticeable, it is a sports car but I did do a complete "DynaMat" job on the rear area and did help out a bunch
Old 12-09-2003, 12:11 PM
squll

Thanks for sharing your advice and experience on the Z car. I am looking forward to having my own next year.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:09 PM
Donald0730

Last edited by Donald0730; 12-09-2003 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:21 PM
Donald0730

The 6 speed is causin me problems. Small problems that grow more annoying everyday. I think U should get an auto. My brother's auto g35 is pretty quick. I can still fell a decent amount of power.

Be prepared to wash ur front wheels every other day. Waxing will help.

Maybe U should invest in a radar, this thing can cause U to drive unusually fast.

Lemme say some good things about the car:

Interior is comfy for a 2 seater.

This car will get U many compliments from people.

Alotta torque!

MPG OK, not comparable to a 4 cylinder. But better than some other V6s.

At first, I thought the rear view was tooo small but I found out later that it's just the same as any other car.

Sound system is good overall.

This car causes U to drive around for no reason.(it's so fun to drive)

Rear luggage is limited. Have another car handy.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:48 PM
Hey Ya

Originally posted by Donald0730

This car causes U to drive around for no reason.(it's so fun to drive)

With 3000 miles in my first month, I'll have to agree with that!
Old 12-09-2003, 08:19 PM
cwerdna

I have are an intermittent rattle coming from where the dash meets the A pillar and my windows sometimes don't zip up the ~1/2 inch after closing the door. Also, for some reason, my cruise control set light sometimes flickers or goes out (even when it's still maintaining speed) over bumps. Seems like a loose connection somewhere.

Yeah, brake dust on the front wheels is crazy, but I wouldn't call it a prob (at least not a reliability one). Mine are WAY dirty right now.

The paint seems to not chip nearly as easily as that on my 02 Maxima. I ended up getting a clear bra on the Max and will on the Z soon.

Last edited by cwerdna; 12-14-2003 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:26 AM
kbomb

I have 5200 mi on it now. its been 3 months.
some rattles and i noticed when i start the engine...there is a slight grind...and goes away as i slowly release clutch..but only when its cold.

other than that,,,shift is still smooth with no grinds.

jpc350 and 350zwhite04,

hope to see u guys around the beltway!
Old 12-10-2003, 11:37 AM
aprez99

Hi
I just got mine two weeks ago. (I will hit 1100 miles today) My only gripe is trying to get the car into gear when its cold. If you wait a minute or two, it makes all the difference in the world. But I have no grinding. Some slight rattles, but I just came from a general motors SUV so believe me: I am used to rattles. Just think of it as a way of the car letting you know its having as much fun as you. By the way, too early to notice feathering. I LOVE THIS CAR!