Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Need Help! Got screwed by the dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 10:27 AM
cubu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, i'd have them replace whatever is covered under warranty. take your money somewhere else. imho, never pay to have your car fixed at the stealership... kinda like going to a random barber shop and getting to random barber to give you a random hair style

Last edited by cubu; 07-07-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:05 PM
shakuya88

Unless it was the slave cylinder that caused the clutch to wear, then you are lucky
Old 07-07-2011, 04:54 PM
MaelstrØm

Originally Posted by verdict.
+1

Used cars are usually sold "as is", but good luck.
The difference here is that the car is held out as a guaranteed Nissan Certified Used vehicle, and it includes a 144 point checklist. On that checklist should be clutch - and if it was checked off, they misrepresented it.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:39 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MaelstrØm
The difference here is that the car is held out as a guaranteed Nissan Certified Used vehicle, and it includes a 144 point checklist. On that checklist should be clutch - and if it was checked off, they misrepresented it.
Or maybe the op just sucks at driving a manual and he fried his clutch.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 PM
J 0 K 3 R

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MaelstrØm
i could do a 180 point checklist by just walking around the car. they dont tell you what they checked and who knows if they really checked it. IMO a warranty and a 144 inspected certified car mean the same thing. and all the certification or warraties ever mean on any car is; that if your motor blows up or wheels fall off or anything OBVIOUSLY not your fault, they will replace it free of charge. now if this was a 'fair' bussiness dont you you think all dealer inspected/owned vehicles would replace parts they were at fault for malfunctioning?
again i could check off 144 points of; 'the tires are worn but still useable, the oil is used but still useable, paint is useable, shocks are useable, the car stops eventually so the brakes are useable,exhaust tip is useable, windshield is useable etc.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:49 AM
konaforever

Originally Posted by sportbiketed
Or maybe the op just sucks at driving a manual and he fried his clutch.
No one sucks that bad to burn their clutch that quickly. You'd have to almost do it on purpose.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:40 PM
sportbiketed

Original owner could have killed the clutch in the first 24k miles.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:45 PM
bhk1004

ive seen audi replace clutches at around 20k miles for failure or abnormal wear. 24-26k miles clutch failure is considered pretty fast abnormal wear...
Old 07-09-2011, 02:28 PM
hooks4feet

Originally Posted by sportbiketed
Original owner could have killed the clutch in the first 24k miles.
That's what I am afraid of. If so, shouldn't that have been caught before they sold the car?

As far as my driving goes....I am too poor, too old, and not stupid enough to be driving hard enough to burn a clutch up in 2500 miles.

They said they were going to contact me yesterday, but never heard from them. Last I heard is that not only does the warranty not cover that simply b/c they can't open the housing to inspect, but since this isn't a warranty item they are charging me for the towing and not offering rental.

tl;dr- **** NorthPoint Nissan.

Top it all off this week with my AC going out in both the gf's ride and in the house. FML. :/
Old 07-09-2011, 02:54 PM
sportbiketed

Originally Posted by hooks4feet
That's what I am afraid of. If so, shouldn't that have been caught before they sold the car?

As far as my driving goes....I am too poor, too old, and not stupid enough to be driving hard enough to burn a clutch up in 2500 miles.

They said they were going to contact me yesterday, but never heard from them. Last I heard is that not only does the warranty not cover that simply b/c they can't open the housing to inspect, but since this isn't a warranty item they are charging me for the towing and not offering rental.

tl;dr- **** NorthPoint Nissan.

Top it all off this week with my AC going out in both the gf's ride and in the house. FML. :/
No, the only way they could have caught the excessive clutch wear is to drop the transmission and inspect the clutch.

You're just going to have to suck it up and pay out of pocket to have the clutch replaced.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:15 PM
drivessidewayz

Have they determined yet that it's not the slave?
Old 07-10-2011, 06:16 AM
badbluebird

If you do have to come out of pocket, I wouldnt give any businessto them. Even towing to a local shop and having the work done you should come out cheaper.

Good luck man
Old 07-11-2011, 07:41 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) Just for clarification, stepping on the pedal should disengage the clutch. Any time you are unable to disengage the clutch, it is almost always a hydraulic problem (master or slave cylinder).

2) If the clutch engages, and remains engaged, then clearly there is no problem with the clutch or pressure plate.

This dealership is bending you over. Get your car out of there and find nother delaership that will replace the faulty hydraulic component, most likely the slave cylinder.

Last edited by bailey bill; 07-11-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:57 AM
hooks4feet

Originally Posted by bailey bill
1) Just for clarification, stepping on the pedal should disengage the clutch. Any time you are unable to disengage the clutch, it is almost always a hydraulic problem (master or slave cylinder).

2) If the clutch engages, and remains engaged, then clearly there is no problem with the clutch or pressure plate.

This dealership is bending you over. Get your car out of there and find nother delaership that will replace the faulty hydraulic component, most likely the slave cylinder.
Thanks, Bill. I knew that when not stepping on clutch it is engaged, but I typed that up after a few "my life sucks" beers. What you described is exactly what happened. Pedal to the floor and no disengage.

I appreciate all the help. They were supposed to call me Friday- didn't. Last night about 8 I get a call from Nissan saying they don't know why this case was given to this certain person- that person was on vacation for another week. So looks like I'm out for a few more days.

Anyone in central Ark. that knows a good shop to take this to?
Old 07-14-2011, 11:36 AM
4mula1 Z

Originally Posted by verdict.
+1

Used cars are usually sold "as is", but good luck.
Not certified Nissans. They have remaining factory warranty included.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:09 PM
hw6515

Default To OP

OP,

This is a difficult situation and is really hard to find a solution that seems fair for those involved.

I had a similar problem but since I test drove like 10 350Zs I knew the clutch feel and the car feeling in general. As soon as I noticed something weird I made a report to the dealer.

Documenting issues you find on a car you just bought is important. Phone talk is cheap...paper helps.

I once got a battery+towing service+Hotel+rental reimbursed when a car I complained 3 times about the battery decided to die on me 200 miles from home.

As a result of a clutch issue I will probably have the whole car replaced....is important where you buy and what they offer. (In writing)

GL with this issue, I can only hope you find a way to reach an agreement with this dealer.

Sometimes tough luck teach you be more careful next time.