Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Experiences with Cops in the Z

Old 08-25-2011, 07:36 AM
bwalk037

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experiences with Cops in the Z

I wanted to hear other people’s feedback with their experiences with cops while driving a Z.

I have had pretty great luck with the police since I have own my Z. This is my first sports car; my previous car was a Mercury Mariner. I don’t excessively speed but, I do run 5 – 10 mph over. In the Mariner I was good for a ticket every year and cops would look at me all the time.

In the Z cops rarely even look in my direction. On the two occasions when I did get pulled over, for speeding on the open highway, the cops just said nice car and be smart/careful out there.

I was wondering what other peoples experiences have been?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:58 AM
350Zappa

I would think the experiences people have would be based on the personalities involved, not the vehicles
Old 08-25-2011, 08:02 AM
JSeide36

cops cant catch me.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:14 AM
xX Lil Oly Xx

Seem to me they follow me a long time to find a reason to pull me over. But they can't!

Old 08-25-2011, 08:14 AM
zeebrah

Yeah, Ive gotten off ever time i speed in the z, They usually come up to the car and tell me what car they drive, and say they can beat me. Funny
Old 08-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

In the 5 years of owning a Z i was pulled over 6 times. With one drawing a ticket.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:16 AM
abo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just often get stared down. but 99% of the time i'm not really breaking any laws. usually drivng 3 under the speed limit so i can avoid bumps/dips/crowns/debri in the road.

i have been pulled over once for no front plate. kind of annoying since it was raining. lesson learned tho, don't pull over into a parking lot for the officers safety. he gave me a lecture on how he doesn't know if i'm trying to lead him into dangerous area. so just pull over asap.

i honestly feel like keeping the ride clean helps with not getting hasseled as much. but just my opinion.

Last edited by abo; 08-25-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:33 AM
arsey51

Coming over the grapevine a few months back, I was suckered into playing with a RX-8, we were swapping lead changes, illegal lane changes, basically being stupid on the freeway - when we rounded the bend, there was a CHP with his radar gun out - had it pointing right at us......we both slowed, I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed he was getting in his patrol car and starting his pursuit. So my first thought, was to try and ditch him but thought better of it - so I immediately pulled over to the shoulder, RX8 driver did the same. CHP rolled up, spoke to me first, then thr RX8 driver. He took our paperwork, went back to his ride, verified our licenses, and then walked back to both of us and told us it was our lucky day. He clocked us at 105, showed us his gun for verification - thanked us for not taking off and having him chase us, and advised us to slow it down. He even walked around both of our cars and noticed we both didn't have front plates. He pointed and told us we better take care of that and took off. So my hats off to Mr. CHP for not writing us or throwing our asses in the can. So evidence that some CHP officers can be forgiving. The rest of the ride home was shall we say, at a slower pace.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:48 AM
OkashiZ

When i was cruising down 2nd St. in Long Beach, a cop was sitting in his car in front of a bar waiting for something to happen when i came by. He followed me for about 1 block and lit me up. I got the sobriety test, which resulted in a crowd of people to watch. When I passed the test the crowd cheered and clapped. I didn't have one drink that day, but apparently (even though i was not speeding, swerving, playing my music loud, etc.) I was randomly selected. Cop just said slow it down when i got back in my car, but I was doing 22 in a 25mph zone because i was rubber necking at some b-e-a-utiful tail that was walking by in the other direction. She was in that crowd.. I win.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:56 AM
TPete19

Originally Posted by xX Lil Oly Xx
Seem to me they follow me a long time to find a reason to pull me over. But they can't!
The only ticket I've gotten since buying my Z (over 2 years ago) was in Snohomish County. Sheriff got me for tinted windows. I think they are trying to get any money they can.

The only other time I've been pulled over up here was coming back across the 520 bridge at around midnight. I was going about 60 in the 50 zone and passed two cars that were sitting in the fast lane and I didn't bother using my signal for either merge. State patrolman pulls me over, looks over my paperwork, and asks how many drinks I had. Luckily, this night I hadn't had any. He handed back my papers, and wished me a good night.

Originally Posted by arsey51
Coming over the grapevine a few months back, I was suckered into playing with a RX-8, we were swapping lead changes, illegal lane changes, basically being stupid on the freeway - when we rounded the bend, there was a CHP with his radar gun out - had it pointing right at us......we both slowed, I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed he was getting in his patrol car and starting his pursuit. So my first thought, was to try and ditch him but thought better of it - so I immediately pulled over to the shoulder, RX8 driver did the same. CHP rolled up, spoke to me first, then thr RX8 driver. He took our paperwork, went back to his ride, verified our licenses, and then walked back to both of us and told us it was our lucky day. He clocked us at 105, showed us his gun for verification - thanked us for not taking off and having him chase us, and advised us to slow it down. He even walked around both of our cars and noticed we both didn't have front plates. He pointed and told us we better take care of that and took off. So my hats off to Mr. CHP for not writing us or throwing our asses in the can. So evidence that some CHP officers can be forgiving. The rest of the ride home was shall we say, at a slower pace.
Growing up in CA (25 years worth), I have only good things to say about CHP officers. Maybe its due being in a decent area that the officers were all older, but they never gave me trouble, even in my ricer Honda Civic back in the day. I can't say the same about the County or city cops though.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:59 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was only pulled over once in my 03 Z, that is after 4 years of owning the car. I was pulled over twice in my 05 Z. All times stopped and ticketed for speeding. The last time was in Anaheim and the CHP gave me a ticket but at a reduced speed so I can do the traffic school to get points off. He was also very cool not to write me up for tint and no plate up front. The other times pulled was when I was living in Sacramento, the CHP guys approached me with a little bit of hostility. After that I bought a radar detector and learned where the CHP hid.

Albeit the Anaheim ticket I was going north of 85 mph/going around a slow driver aggressively and got lucky on that one. The other tickets were me driving on a two lane road 7-10mph over the speed limit.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Duckeee

i too was pulled over in grapevine when I was 16. Was coming back from san jose and at the time I only had a permit, and was driving with friends who were 18 and 19. I was going about 90 when around the bend was a chp officer with a radar pointed right at me. I knew i had it coming, so i pulled over instantly and had my friend swapped seats with me in the front. in California, you cant drive with a permit unless accompanied by I think a 25 years or older passenger.

The officer had no idea we swapped seats, but did notice my friend opening his door ( for no reason because we climbed through the center). The officer kept thinking we threw a load of pot into the bushes or something and handcuffed my friend who was the driver.

Eventually i told him the truth and he let us go. I was pretty dumb for driving in the first place, let alone speed that fast.

life lesson learned. after that, i no longer felt invincible like most teens do.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OkashiZ
When i was cruising down 2nd St. in Long Beach, a cop was sitting in his car in front of a bar waiting for something to happen when i came by. He followed me for about 1 block and lit me up. I got the sobriety test, which resulted in a crowd of people to watch. When I passed the test the crowd cheered and clapped. I didn't have one drink that day, but apparently (even though i was not speeding, swerving, playing my music loud, etc.) I was randomly selected. Cop just said slow it down when i got back in my car, but I was doing 22 in a 25mph zone because i was rubber necking at some b-e-a-utiful tail that was walking by in the other direction. She was in that crowd.. I win.
Ha. Great story. I'm in LB too and yes, there are some amazing girls in the city.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Been pulled over 5 times, and have got 2 tickets. 89 in a 65, and 60 in a 45. Both tickets have been dismissed
Old 08-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

At our monthly meet we once had a Sheriff roll through our area and take a look at our cars, his only comment was "don't ever get married"
Old 08-25-2011, 11:33 AM
BornSlippyZ

Lol^
Old 08-25-2011, 11:46 AM
MikeBit

I was getting onto the 170 freeway heading southbound from Oxnard st towards the Burbank exit around 7:45am. The 101 causes some insane amount of traffic at that time (I was on my way to work). When I got on, there was some room to my left to merge onto the freeway but there was a car very close to me in my side mirror so I didn't cut him off. He didn't let me in (like all good-ol Cali drivers do). Before I knew it, it was car after car after car going 5mph without any gap to let me on. I had come up to the Burbank exit, and what I had to end up doing was get onto the small pavement on the shoulder in between the freeway and the off-ramp (had to move over solid lines) in order to get on. I didn't attempt to brake because there were cars literally tailgating me to get off the freeway (I was doing about 25mph), and I've seen instances where people would brake real hard just to try and merge onto the freeway, causing people behind them to brake really hard. I didn't want the folk behind me to have to do that so the best and safest route was to do what I ended up doing. There was a CHP officer pulled over 500 feet in front of me on the shoulder, my guess he had just pulled someone over before me. Traffic was moving so slow that he was actually able to step out in front of my car in the middle of the road and point at me, and tell me to pull over. So I did. He gave me a ticket, citing violation 21461A. He let me off the hook for tints and missing front plates. I didn't care to explain to him what my situation was because he just might have taken it the wrong way and written me up for everything. Sucks to be me. A fellow Z driver drove by me, looked at me and gave me a thumbs up for the sweet Z but then immediately shook his head because I was pulled over.

Anyone know how much this ticket costs?
Old 08-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Blu_Blur

Overall, CHP is the department I fear the most because they are not an anti-crime agency- they are a traffic enforcement agency.

With this being said, their sole job is to create revenue by picking on speeding, dangerous driving and equipment violations.

Additionally, CHP tend to be more educated in automechanics and they focus on these things meaning that modded cars are susceptible to getting pulled over and inspected.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Blu_Blur

Originally Posted by MikeBit
Anyone know how much this ticket costs?
No one will ever know. Just go on-line after a few days after the ticket was issued and you will see the bail amount/fine amount.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:18 PM
ghostrhyder89

got pulled over doing 68 in a 35 while passing a school bus and got a ticket for $480. payed for a lawyer and got the ticket removed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Experiences with Cops in the Z