Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z shopping

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly I'd just save up for an HR model if I were you. A Z is a Z. What you should buy is what that will last you longer and give you less trouble.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:12 AM
350zhack
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you think getting a HR is a waiste of money as it will last longer than an non HR?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Deteria

From my research on getting the Z before I picked mine, I read that the 07+ had the least problems sampled in a population. Granted there are reasons to go for the DE models, but I myself am not an expert when it comes to fixing out modding. So I went with the more reliable choice. Of course buying an 07+ is going to cost more. But if your budget is like 10-15k, just save up a few more our finance the difference.

If you are good with cars and have no problem dealing with issues here and there, go for the cheaper option of getting a DE model. Also the interior is a bit nicer in the 06+ if you are picky. Chances are you can find nicer kept condition Zs if they are not as old. Lower mileage too.

The 07+ cd009 transmission itself may be worth it because older ones got that bad synchro grind issue and can cost you a bit to repair.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:56 AM
350zhack
Banned

Thanks for the tips, I am somewhat a decent wrench turner and dont mind it from time to time. My biggest concern is getting something and it just falling apart. I know if I go low side of my budget that I cant get the 07+ and i might end up with a higher milage car.
However, this is really just a car that I want to drive back and forth to work and save a bit of gas and also have the option of slapping some bolt ons. Maybe down the road if I juist love the car I will move up into a more...performance one but for now I just want to drive one enjoy it, then possaible move up.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:13 PM
naH-Z

Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't the "bad syncro" issue resolved '06 and later?

Last edited by naH-Z; 09-20-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Deteria

I dunno about saving gas, but I'm a pretty conservative driver and I can only manage 17ish local.

Honestly you can worry less with the 07+. 06 had possible oil consumption. I buy my cars to drive, not sit in a shop
Old 09-20-2011, 12:33 PM
350zhack
Banned

Really, I thought they where getting around the 22mpg....Thats news to me.

I to buy cars to drive and not sit in shops, but again my budget isnt high enough for a 07+ and I set a budget for it and if I go higher and higher I will be where I dont want to be...high car payments and no spending money.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Deteria

I only drive local cuz I get more fun in traffic with the 6mt. I avg about 17 mpg. If I add in some highway weekend driving, I maybe net 19mpg. This is about a 80:20 local: highway. Get about 330 + miles a tank and fill up 17 gallons.

Just save up for a few months and get yourself a HR. You won't regret it.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:18 PM
350zhack
Banned

I love regreting stuff!!! LOL

And im the opposite, I drive 80% highway and 20% local. Actually might be more of a 90:10

You really are set on me getting a HR, i have read a few posts and it seems the earlier years did have some issues and what not but so did my 11 Camaro.

I think it really depends on the driver/owner and how they treat there car. Of cousre there are those cars out tehre that have just issues after issue, but if you run a carfax(which is really a smart thing to do) before you can get a idea of how many issues the car has ran into.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Deteria

I myself paid a premium / more than I planned on mine because I found a 2007 with only 10k miles and it was Touring + Navi + 6MT. It was a bit over my budget for a last gen Z, but granted even with the price I paid, it's very unlikely anyone finding one for sale with that low of mileage. Gotta pay to play and I played it safe getting the year with the least amt of % of issues and overall a better refined Z. I can tell you from my personal experience that a lot of the people that say the Z's interior is sh#tty prolly rode in a pre 2006 base/enthusiast mode. My cousin has a 2003 model and his Z is sorta falling apart and the interior on the 03-05 are not as nice as the 06+.

The gas mileage for highway driving should be pretty good. It's just really bad if you are in stop/go traffic or purely driving local. I think the Z avg 25-27mpg on highway.

Also, every $1000 you borrow over 5 yrs is only like $20more per month. Just cut back on wasting $ elsewhere and you'll be fine. Also I think it's better to spend more on my car payments than buying a cheaper older car and spending more $ fixing it. Just finance more or save more before you purchase is my suggestion. Don't be in a rush to buy a pre HR model cuz you want a Z now. HR is pretty close engine-wise to a 370z so you won't feel too dated.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Itzcashew

Originally Posted by Deteria
I myself paid a premium / more than I planned on mine because I found a 2007 with only 10k miles and it was Touring + Navi + 6MT. It was a bit over my budget for a last gen Z, but granted even with the price I paid, it's very unlikely anyone finding one for sale with that low of mileage. Gotta pay to play and I played it safe getting the year with the least amt of % of issues and overall a better refined Z. I can tell you from my personal experience that a lot of the people that say the Z's interior is sh#tty prolly rode in a pre 2006 base/enthusiast mode. My cousin has a 2003 model and his Z is sorta falling apart and the interior on the 03-05 are not as nice as the 06+.

The gas mileage for highway driving should be pretty good. It's just really bad if you are in stop/go traffic or purely driving local. I think the Z avg 25-27mpg on highway.

Also, every $1000 you borrow over 5 yrs is only like $20more per month. Just cut back on wasting $ elsewhere and you'll be fine. Also I think it's better to spend more on my car payments than buying a cheaper older car and spending more $ fixing it. Just finance more or save more before you purchase is my suggestion. Don't be in a rush to buy a pre HR model cuz you want a Z now. HR is pretty close engine-wise to a 370z so you won't feel too dated.
Ok Deteria you have no clue what you're talking about.

First of all, HR have less trouble because they're like what 5 years old vs. a 03 which is 8 years old. Another thing I want to point out is that the Z interior was actually worse in the 05+. The black paint would scrape and fall off all over the ***** and door handle. Its like comparing faded plastic against discolored plastic. Depends on how the previous owner took care of the car. This apply to anything out there.

The VQ35HR is a better engine yes, it has a better power band and is the best engine of all the 350. But you're discredited all the other engines off the bat. Each engine is unique in their own right. I just want to say that no matter when goes wrong on a Z, fixing a DE is always going to be cheaper than fixing a HR. Just make sure you inspect the car thoroughly, DE, Rev Up or HR. It boils down to how it was treated before.

Think of it like girls. If she was treated like crap in her past relationship chances are you're going to hit some issues with her and she will frustrate you more than make you happy. On the other hand if she was well taken cared of and you picked her up you're more likely to have less worries about her being batsh*t insane. But there is always a possibility. Moral of the story is dont get married and eat your vegetables.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Itzcashew

But on a serious note the Daytona Blue you found is a 04 with 87726 for $13890 is still high. You can get it for 11500-12500 drive off.

In the car fax i see it has a second owner that owned it for 5 months. That would worry me. Have you taken the chance of taking it for a test drive? I can give you a things to look for if you opt to go try it out.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:15 PM
350zhack
Banned

Thanks itzcashew. That's kind of my argument, cars if taken care can just be as good as newer cars. I've seen cars with less than 20k miles and they are falling part cause the owner doesn't change the oil, keep it clean and/or drives it horribly. I'm pretty sure ill end up with a DE as I'm not going to adjust my budget and I have read and looked at others that own that model and they are amazing looking cars.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:16 PM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree cashew. Although the HR is a superior engine, the biggest thing when buying any used car is how it was treated by the previous owner. Buying a used car is sorta like playing craps in my opinion. Buying a HR would be like betting on 6 or 8 where buying a 04 is like betting on 4 or 10. You have a better chance of comming out ahead in a HR but nothing is certain.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:17 PM
350zhack
Banned

Thanks again for the tip, and yes if you wouldn't mind I would like to know some key items to look/listen for when I test drive different ones.

I'm trying to work them down to 12.5 for it but u gotta love dealers trying to win lol.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:21 PM
350zhack
Banned

Yea, I'm going to be taking my time to find one. I'm in no rush so that is kind of in my favor so I can take a look at a lot of them before I find the one I want.

I'm hoping someone on here has a good one they might be looking to move up from our just move on.

Here is where I'm at:
Budget $8-15k
Manual
No mater the color but I really like the blue
Not really feeling the rag top but not a deal killer
Under or just around 90k miles
Aftermarkets are a plus
Old 09-20-2011, 05:22 PM
OrtonZ

The Z is an amazing car. If you do get a Z, you should get the 07-08 but that's if you find one in the price range. I/We KNOW you will love it just like all of us on here do! I am also on my second Z because I wanted a HR version too! [/U]LOL[/U] The bad part is that you can only take one person but sometime one person is way too many. I haven't heard too much about this lately (maybe it's a recall), but you should stay away from the 06's model due to OIL CONSUMPTION. I'm not saying all the 06 models are dealing with this, but I wouldn't take any chances of getting one. NOW GO OUT AND GET ONE POST PICTURES TOO!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:27 PM
350zhack
Banned

Well trust me if I could find one in my price range I would be on it. But this could just be a opportunity for me to get in a z of good quality and who knows a few years of owning it I could/would move up to a nicer one
Old 09-20-2011, 05:30 PM
OrtonZ

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 350zhack
Just found this one...

http://www.peachmotorsduluth.com/web...orgia/1822341/

Not to bad, they said they would do 13,890.
DON'T get this one because from my point of view it's been in an accident. If you look at the headlights it doesn't match. Usually, people change out both headlights at the same time unless the insurance only paid for one HL because the other one was fine. Plus, the price is too high for that car!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:45 PM
OrtonZ

Last edited by OrtonZ; 09-20-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 350z shopping