Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

It's just an oil change, what could go wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Zonnashi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's just an oil change, what could go wrong?

So this morning I thought to myself as I pull up to Walmart that I need to get my oil changed. Now I always have been skeptical about work done and by who, but I thought to myself "It's just an oil change, what could go wrong?" Murphy, you are a cruel man.

I stop in, they say it'll be an hour and a half wait, ok I need to shop anyways. fast forward 2 hours and I stop back since they haven't called me yet saying complete. As I walk up I can hear my car in the background revving a bit. It sounded like someone possibly using 6th gear instead of reverse. But I can't see due to the way the work bays are set up and the desk that I'm at. Then I hear it rev a bit and my tires chirp a bit. Now I'm interested in what the hell is going on. A few seconds later I see the mechanics in talk and then one point over to me, at this point the other walks my direction and out of the shop into the service area. "You're the owner of the 350z right?" I answer yes, "We've had an issue with your car..." I begin to regret thinking they couldn't mess up an oil change about now.

12:40pm "If you can come with me I'll explain what has happened" I follow the man outside and he proceeds to tell me that while up on the lift, they had turned on the car to get the new oil flowing. He then explains to me that while doing that the person had apparently started car in first and not realizing it released the clutch. My heart sinks as a mental picture of my car nose down in a shop off a lift paints itself in my head.

Once I see the car my worst fears are not true. Through still painful to see. Essentially the passenger/driver front mud guard and passenger side skirt are tore up. When I am brought to car they had already reset it on the lift (the sounds I heard moments earlier).

Lots of conversation with Store manager and hours later it is now 5pm. At this point I have contacted their insurance, my own insurance, the police department, and their regional manager. I am assured they are going to make the issue right and everything will be taken care of. I am also assured that the car is sound to drive and all damage is ascetic.

Being cautious like I am, I doubt this. I know I am not mechanically knowledgeable but I am not dumb either. I start my car and let it sit for about 7 minutes. I sit with windows down, radio off and I listen watch and smell for anything out of normal. Everything seems ok. I switch into reverse and start backing up and hear a sound. It sounds like splash guard on wheel, but the damage wasn't that bad and I have looked all over in there, it isn't hanging down. So I pull right back into parking spot, put it in neutral, e-brake and investigate this sound.

I look around the front wheel and again see no sign of rub, but then I smell something. It's bitter almost sweet. Antifreeze? I pop hood and the smell is stronger (also small spot of liquid on ground, but it looks to be oil... hmm). I turn off car, walk inside and inform them of the situation.

So after driving my car nearly off a lift, screwing up body work, and now something mechanical is wrong, I realize I will not shop here for anything again. Their insurance company is going to cover repairs and damages. I'm getting quotes tomorrow for the body repairs. Sorry for the wall of text, need a rant and so pissed they hurt my baby. My fault for trusting walmart though....

Old 11-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol why would you go to Walmart to get an oil change? -_-

If you don't know how to do it or are too lazy, take it to the Nissan dealer.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:12 PM
mike_eee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know how it feels....But this is a "Z" why would you go to walmart to do an oil change, where they don't care **** and use their oil and filter and their employees are kids or least trained.

I always try to go to tuner shop where I can sit and watch what they are doing..or change it myself.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:19 PM
BEBO'S ZEE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oil change at walmart was your first mistake.
Would you really want an oil change done where these people shop?

Old 11-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Fenom

Ouch, but it is not too bad from the pics. Hopefully you will get this all sort out!
I dont get it too, why would you get an oil change at Walmart? Maybe its cheap? But please take it to the dealer next time....
Old 11-13-2011, 04:24 PM
supanam

yep - worth while to do it urself or take it to a dealer. you essentially get what you pay for. yea i wouldn't buy clothes at walmart (unless its underwear) - let alone get my oil changed there.

i've seen people go to jiffy lube or quaker state and even those guys mess up oiil changes. they don't tighten oil drain plugs or over tighten and strip the threads. or over fill or under fill...

lots of things can go wrong with an oil change. well best of luck in repairs and now you know for next time!
Old 11-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Itz_Gizzy

jesus man. it'll definitely get sorted out due to wal-mart being a huge corporation. I cant imagine hearing the noises of your own car getting damaged.

Next time, change your own oil, please?
Old 11-13-2011, 04:34 PM
cubs4worldseris

Sorry to hear that horror story! It will all work out for you in the end. On the other hand, just change your oil yourself man. You can change your own oil with synthetic and it will still be cheaper than taking it somewhere to get bottom line conventional.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:39 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The mud flap is no big deal. They are about $50/2. The bent rocker panel will cost some bucks.

A mechanic may top-off the antifreeze. Could have spilled some or overfilled.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:59 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

They havn't messed mine up yet, then again they have and will never touch my car.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:08 PM
SE5spd

Originally Posted by terrasmak
They havn't messed mine up yet, then again they have and will never touch my car.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not the first time this has happened at Walmart.

No one should be taking their car there
Old 11-13-2011, 05:17 PM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

why would you need to go anywhere for an oil change is the real question, its easy to do. Im even skeptical about what oil i put in my car cause you never know what could happen
Old 11-13-2011, 05:25 PM
stein

You know they let the nub's do the oil n lube stuff right?
Old 11-13-2011, 06:02 PM
zero_shift

Sucks to hear what happened to you OP, hope the lesson was learned.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Zhinobi

OH gosh!..terrible pain inside me just reading it.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:58 PM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you really really dont wanna change your oil yourself next time then just take it to ez-lube or some place that only does oil changes they dont even lift your car up, they have pits below to work in
Old 11-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Zonnashi

I normally do change it myself, but I lent my stuff to a buddy. Someone it seemed like a ok idea at the time. That's what happens when I cut corners on my Z. I'll borrow someone elses stuff next time and do it myself. I knew better when I dropped it off, and yet I went against my better instincts and handed them my keys.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:33 PM
ambushphoto

Aw man that is such a bummer. Lesson learned though. They get paid basically nothing which is directly related to how much they care about the job they do. If you don't do it yourself next time, at least take it to some place you can watch them do it, or where you can sit in your car while they do it.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:38 PM
dfresh713
Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow! Hope your car gets fixed fine. I don't trust bringing my car anywhere, however Walmart is probably the lowest on the list. I found the best place to bring my car is JiffyLube or similar on off-peak hours as you're in and out in 15 minutes and you can watch the entire time.

Quick Reply: It's just an oil change, what could go wrong?