Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

It's just an oil change, what could go wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 05:41 AM
LuciaPwNs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got tires from sams club for various reasons last year. NEVER DO THAT. First of all they didnt have a lift to jack up my car (they said it was too low). Now, my car is stock height, it is low, but you are F**king garage. You mean you dont have a floor jack?! So I had to take the car home put it up myself and take the wheels in myself(30 min drive). Then because i can't rotate them i had to have them checked ever so many miles.

Other things they did wrong:
-Tires were under inflated about 30 psi(that is what there computer told them to put it)
-Tires only lasted 10k (charged me almost full price for a new set, these were $250/ea tires and had the best tread wear there is)
-put my metal valve caps on too tight(I took it in for the check up and they couldnt get them off, eventually they broke two stems(tpms) and didnt bother checking the rest and told me i was on my own.

Chain stores hire the dumbest mechanics Ive ever seen.
-

Last edited by LuciaPwNs; 11-16-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:45 AM
LuciaPwNs

Originally Posted by albaugh81
This is why i work on my own ****. Now i gotta find where to dump the gallons of used oil in my shed.
Find a mechanic that takes oil(sometimes they have heaters that run on used REGULAR oil, They dont take synthetic.) win for everybody.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:36 AM
BonesZ33

anywhere that sells oil is suppose to accept used oil, auto part stores, mechanic shops, quick lubes, etc.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:17 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike_eee
I know how it feels....But this is a "Z" why would you go to walmart to do an oil change, where they don't care **** and use their oil and filter and their employees are kids or least trained.

I always try to go to tuner shop where I can sit and watch what they are doing..or change it myself.
If you don't wanna DYI (I don't bother myself), then>>>>>>

THIS!!!!!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

'just an oil change' - what could go wrong? your engine could seize because you cheaped out and paid some non-mechanic to change your oil for cheap.

anyone that cheaps out here had it comin : P sorry for your troubles but hopefully you learn from it.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:22 AM
NismoK

I can do mine in about 25 minutes, start to finish, at home in the garage or driveway.

I do use a "low-pro" jack for the car as it sits a little low even at stock suspension settings.

Hate to say, I have been burned by this before, even if you request the shop foreman, or a specific employee to work on your car, usually you get a noob on the oil changes at shops, dealers wherever, it how they operate. Noobs at your work probably get the easiest jobs too, not the harder ones.

If you want full piece of mind, do it yourself. I don't understand anyone owning a Z that doesn't at least have a small shed or storage closet they could keep a jack, 4 stands and a 15mm socket in.

You should spend a day and go to a few "name-brand" shops that allow you visual of their working areas. I have seen some sketchy s**t going on with some very routine procedures.

I feel bad for your car. Wish it had a smarter owner! ha!
Old 11-17-2011, 10:26 AM
nismo_nate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

its like $19.99 at west covina nissan. (reg oil)

but heck, they know how to handle your car
Old 11-17-2011, 10:36 AM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NismoK
I can do mine in about 25 minutes, start to finish, at home in the garage or driveway.

I do use a "low-pro" jack for the car as it sits a little low even at stock suspension settings.

Hate to say, I have been burned by this before, even if you request the shop foreman, or a specific employee to work on your car, usually you get a noob on the oil changes at shops, dealers wherever, it how they operate. Noobs at your work probably get the easiest jobs too, not the harder ones.

If you want full piece of mind, do it yourself. I don't understand anyone owning a Z that doesn't at least have a small shed or storage closet they could keep a jack, 4 stands and a 15mm socket in.

You should spend a day and go to a few "name-brand" shops that allow you visual of their working areas. I have seen some sketchy s**t going on with some very routine procedures.

Lot of people live in Apts etc..very little space. Also, it's a pain and you have to transport the oil. I've been there and done that. For $20 I pay a mechanic that I KNOW to do it all using my own filter and oil..takes 15 Min and well worth it. I stay there the whole time.
I would NEVER leave my car (for oil change) not knowing PERSONALLY who's going to do it. NEVER...EVER..go to a *MILL* like those quick change outfits...or retail stores. You're just rolling the dice with incompetent people.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:05 AM
GGGVenom

Originally Posted by NismoK

Hopefully you meant a 14mm socket for the drain plug and 10mm socket for the bolts that secure the undershroud ..
Old 11-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Stayka

Damn this guy's getting a lot of ****.

I have never personally changed the oil in my car. I feel uncomfortable laying underneath 3,300lbs of metal because **** happens and people make mistakes just like all of you.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with having you oil changed at a Mobil 1 Express or Jiffylube. You don't need to have an engineer to change the oil in a car like everyone else is recommending.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:42 AM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stayka
Damn this guy's getting a lot of ****.

I have never personally changed the oil in my car. I feel uncomfortable laying underneath 3,300lbs of metal because **** happens and people make mistakes just like all of you.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with having you oil changed at a Mobil 1 Express or Jiffylube. You don't need to have an engineer to change the oil in a car like everyone else is recommending.
cause its so easy you can look on you tube how to do an oil change now. lol. Jack stands are what give you the piece of mind if you dont trust a jack alone