Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Black nose mask...Much Strength Needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 03:53 PM
Donny_b

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Black nose mask...Much Strength Needed

Man, I just picked up a Nissan Nose Mask for the Z. Now I know masks are supposed to be a little tough at first, but Sweet Master this is taking it a bit far. I've been battling it for about 1 1/2 hrs. I'm almost there. The weather here is not too cold so there should be no problem. I know some of you don't like the vinyl mask, but here in Vegas stones every where. The clear mask IMO is just too thin. Anyway I have to get back to pull'in. Take care....db
Old 12-20-2003, 03:59 PM
EL Diablo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a clear bra. nuff said.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:49 PM
Donny_b

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Diablo: I know a about the clear bra, and I wish it would be tough enough for Vegas, but the Highways are lined with Decorative rocks and pebbles. Sometimes you get people who don't care if they drift off the roads and kick up crap. I had to replace 2 windshields and I had numerous chips on my other car. I know thing will happen, but I feel this can be avoided. By the way the bra looks good. Can anyone in the South West back me up on this?....db
Old 12-20-2003, 04:54 PM
ZIABLO
I am Batman

Donny: throw it in the dryer for a very little bit. Then you'll be able to stretch it all you want for a short while.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:54 PM
Sz28r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use mine oem mask all of the time, we have a lot of crap on the highways here in Florida - - my nose is perfect under the mask, I remove it every other day or so to get any sand, and stuff out from under it - - it helps if the mask is warm, if it's not sunny enough to heat it up on the driveway, I've put mine in our clothes dryer on a shoe rack (so it doesn't spin) - - that worked pretty good too. Gets easier after it's been on and off a few times.
Old 12-20-2003, 06:07 PM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Maybe you should try Colgan.

Donny_b

I purchased the Colgan 2 piece nose bra. This 2 piece nose mask will provide much more coverage than will the OEM version offered from Nissan. It fits pretty snug and takes me less than 5 minutes to put on. If I plan to do some highway driving, I'll pop it on. While driving locally, I usually leave it off. There are "NO" stone chips on my Z yet. Unlike the Nissan bra with the license plate flap, Colgan offered two neatly designed versions to choose from. The two versions you can buy from Colgan are: (1) with a license plate bumper cut-out (2) and one without, for those states that do NOT require a front plate.
I attached a pic for your perusal. I have my NY plate mounted in the grille below.

Attached Thumbnails Black nose mask...Much Strength Needed-colganbra1.gif  
Old 12-20-2003, 11:13 PM
Jsn350Z

Originally posted by EL Diablo
Get a clear bra. nuff said.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:15 PM
Paul_BB_Guy

Let the bra sit in the sun for a while and it should stretch a little easier.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:14 AM
03 Z for ME

Have a heat gun? Use the LOW setting... if not, get the hair dryer out...
Old 12-23-2003, 08:12 AM
grounded

I bought a Colgan. I don’t put the hood piece on. I looked at it head on across the parking lot and it struck me. Why don’t I have the area of the braw done in that bed liner stuff? in black.
My Z is Sunset and the black looks good.
my family thinks I am nuts what do U guys think. I think it would do the job because I do a lot of desert driving with dirt on the paved roads. I think it might look good. It is kind of forever though.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:54 AM
Bat_Zignal

Smile Re: Black nose mask...Much Strength Needed

Yes, its tough when you first put the nissan OEM bra on. I let it leave under the sun for an hour before finally completing the install. It worked out fine for me.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!
Old 12-23-2003, 08:57 AM
frankmusic

Wink To each his own....they say.

grounded,

I bought the Colgan Bra based on my positive experiences when used it with my other car. (Supra) I know there are many who say "Clear Bra" as their personal preference . . . and if they don't mind that kind of expense... more power to them. The Colgan has more coverage than the standard OEM bra. I wanted a little more coverage on the hood. On the day that I took delivery, it rained quite heavily. It rained throughout the salesman demo and rained even heavier on my 25 mile journey home. The next morning I noticed a small stone chip on the lip of the hood. That's enough, I thought. Time to get that bra. You can't go wrong for about $90.00. The first time is slightly difficult (at best) to stretch the bra. After that, it goes on easy and fits like a glove.

Hey, I understand that the bra covers the Z nose and all of its beauty, but all 350Z owners will agree (soft paint or not) the Z needs protection in that area. Every Z that goes unprotected in the front accumulates that ugly speckled look after some significant highway driving.

Regarding applying that black bed liner stuff to the front of your Z..........?

Uhhhhhh......I think your family cares for you in more ways than one.

Doing something that to your Z......... is (yes) NUTS!

Check out the both methods of Z protection. "Clear and Vinyl"
Should you choose the clear stuff - make sure that you locate and settle on a reputable installer. If you don't use a recommended installer - it could turn out to be a tremendously expensive nightmare. Yup!

Old 12-23-2003, 10:05 AM
bixby

It'll stretch for an easier on-off after a few times. Mine was the same way but is very simple to r&r now.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:06 PM
jedoublery

wow, the Z is really ugly with the bra........
Old 12-23-2003, 07:14 PM
iron1mike_alpha

depends on the color, i have the oem mask on my db and it looks fine. Its a heck of a lot easier to clean too, the front end used to be a b****.

Do I need to remove it and clean it often? I made sure it was clean when I put it on but i dont want alot of dirt getting in there and scratching the finish. It looked like a fairly good fit so not too much should have gotten in there
Old 12-23-2003, 07:15 PM
frankmusic

Talking WOW!

¿Cuánto pensamiento usted utilizó para esa observación?

Old 12-24-2003, 10:47 AM
Beaker02

Anybody have pix of a SB w/bra?
Old 12-24-2003, 06:25 PM
lunartick13

Question Nose Bra

Iam thinking of purchasing the nose bra OEM, specialy after noticing my firtst chip, as small as it was it made me a little sick.
I am not totaly crazy about the looks but I know that if I want the ultimate protection while Iam out the on the road, the nose bra is the way to go, does anyone know of any manufacturer that offers a nose piece in diferent colors to match the paint and is anyone had any problems with the bra vibrating and actually rubbing fade spots on the paint.
Thaks for the info!!!

04 Enthusiast
6 spd
kick plates
splash guards
aero kit
matts front & Rear
Old 12-26-2003, 11:05 AM
jinxxycat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by iron1mike_alpha
depends on the color, i have the oem mask on my db and it looks fine. Its a heck of a lot easier to clean too, the front end used to be a b****.

Do I need to remove it and clean it often? I made sure it was clean when I put it on but i dont want alot of dirt getting in there and scratching the finish. It looked like a fairly good fit so not too much should have gotten in there
I clean mine each time I wash my Z. I use the heavy duty shop vac on the felt side to get it really clean. A little 409 and a wet towel works very well on the black side.

I had it on for about 5 months b4 winter and had no problems with rubbing, paint fading or anything. I did take it off for the winter b/c I didn't want the salt from the roads getting under the mask and ruining the paint under there--I live in PA and she is my daily driver.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:54 PM
tiesto81

Default Re: Nose Bra

Lunartick,

Your profile says you have a sunset orange Z, and your car in the icon looks more orange than the lemans sunset. Did you get it custom painted? Or was it just a typo regarding the lemans orange, and the icon is lemans as well? Thanks!

- Chris

Originally posted by lunartick13
Iam thinking of purchasing the nose bra OEM, specialy after noticing my firtst chip, as small as it was it made me a little sick.
I am not totaly crazy about the looks but I know that if I want the ultimate protection while Iam out the on the road, the nose bra is the way to go, does anyone know of any manufacturer that offers a nose piece in diferent colors to match the paint and is anyone had any problems with the bra vibrating and actually rubbing fade spots on the paint.
Thaks for the info!!!

04 Enthusiast
6 spd
kick plates
splash guards
aero kit
matts front & Rear