Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

A funny beginning to the adventure of car buying!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 06:44 PM
RussianAccent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A funny beginning to the adventure of car buying!

My car is dead. Plain and simple. A money pit with no glimpse of hope.
Please just come pick it up so I don't have to deal with it anymore.
Take it outback for me and shoot it haha

Two weeks ago, I accepted the fact that I need a new car. I searched and searched notching the choices off one by one more and more every day.

The winner for my budget was clear.
After 2 weeks of research and planning, today was officially the start of my quest for a 350z.

You didn't think I wanted to get rid of a Z, did ya?

So it begins. I had a crazy day ahead of me. My girl was kind enough to let me borrow her car and her company on a trip to Orlando, FL four hours away. The trick was- she had to be back by 5 with the car. All of these advanced calculations translate to us having to leave at 4 in the morning.

Upon having a difficult time falling asleep, I finally manage to hit deep sleep. Seemingly 5 minutes go by and the sound of the alarm pierces my ears and at this point I'm questioning the whole entire thing damn, trying to convince myself that I'll just get a bicycle instead. Anything my half-asleep self will believe in order to get more sweet sweet slumber.

What an *******, right?

I manage to get up and get out on time.
By the time we leave my place, fast forward 5 hours of driving. By this point I ran out of bags of jerky and 3 packs of gummy worms. Oh yeah and I'm shaking worse than MJF (too soon?) because of all of the energy **** I used to swash down the gourmet meal consumed on the way.

We arrive and wobble out of the bug (read: bug), and I immediately focus on the prize. There she was.. I've been stalking the kill for the past couple of days.

I get closer to check it out. Overall, the car was ok- a little too high for what it was. $16.5k OTD 04 65k miles, grey, 6MT, convertible. All of the criteria are met.
I check out the details- see some stuff I see that the salesman didn't mention , the roof is original- could use replacement soon. Some developing paint damage. I was skeptical, though- I'm very detail oriented. I want to give this a chance though.

I test drive it with my point of contact from the dealer- call him N. We shoot the **** a little. Take some sweet roads. I stall. No worries or surprises. I just picked up driving stick 2 weeks ago with some practice. Everything else was smooth.

We go inside after and talk about the price. He explains to me how they got the price (the "savings", he called it) from KBB etc. At the end, I name my price and he names his and there's still a solid $2k between us. We talk more and none of us are swaying. After the bargaining- we bid each other farewell, and I ended with "You guys have my number, if you think we can do my price, call me. I'll be in town for a couple more hours."

This is a trick I learned from the one and only "Dan Dan The Chevy Man". The none other than my girl's dad. The guy used to sell cars in his younger years.

We get in the bug ("da bug") to leave, both hands fiercely on the wheel I rev the engine. For clear reasons like intimidation and pressure. I had to establish my alpha male dominance. You know, to increase my chances of him calling back agreeing on my offer.
Ok, that did not happen. But, alas, we drive away. Not a minute goes by my phone jingles. I look down and its our old friend N from Acura. I pick up the phone, smugly, and follow through with the "RussianAccent speaking", all while thinking: "wow, I feel like a Jedi."

"Hey uh," he goes, "you didn't drive very far yet did you?"
"No", I respond confidently waiting for him to deliver what I've been wanting to hear on a silver platter.
"Because I think you drove off with the keys!"- N states, laughing his *** off with me.

I have never felt a bigger mental facepalm in my life.

It was none the less hilarious. And I can say that my journey to find a 350z has already been exhilarating. I can't wait to become a proud Z owner and am excited to become a part of your awesome forum!

TL;DR: Test drove the first Z I considered buying today. The dealer and I couldn't agree with the price. Left the lot with the keys to the Z like an idiot

Last edited by RussianAccent; 12-10-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum, potential owner...learn about tl;dr- This was about the worst story I have read on the net today...cliff notes will be your friend
Old 12-10-2011, 06:57 PM
RussianAccent

Originally Posted by Stock2Autocrozz
Welcome to the forum, potential owner...learn about tl;dr- This was about the worst story I have read on the net today...cliff notes will be your friend
Haha thanks man. It's just a matter of finding the one.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:11 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

post pics new guy
Old 12-10-2011, 07:47 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

OK see you later with a 350Z.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:50 PM
resident25

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, I was hoping this would end with pics.......well anyway cool story bro.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:32 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

lulz at driving away with the keys
Old 12-13-2011, 11:39 PM
350z>S2k

D@mn Russia sorry to hear about that man. Word of advice tho, take your time, don't rush into buying the first Z you see, and try to stay away from dealers. Just my fair opinion. The Z is a sports car and there's two types of owners out there... ones that use their car ( nice way of saying ragg it out ), and those who let it sit in their garage ( my heroes.lol ). Nonetheless good luck with your search buddy.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:07 PM
goodbye999

Default A funny beginning to the adventure of car buying!

This is a good idea, I also want to try