Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Hi guys! Just a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Steve1578

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi guys! Just a few questions.

Hi guys, my name's steve, and I'm currently looking into buying myself a 350z.

I currently own a 2004 vw r32, which I do love, but am looking for something a little easier to maintain, modify, and something a little cheaper to own.

I have looked up some prices for turbo's and such, and they don't seem so bad. I am just wondering, from an owners perspective, how do you guys feel about your Z's after owning them for a little? I have already test driven one, and it was a great experience. I have owned a 99 maxima before and that thing would not quit, so reliability is there(another big thing!)

I am also wondering how satisfied you guys are with performance gains on performance mods, for those who have added power. Sorry, I'm sure you guys get these questions a lot, just trying to find out the facts form proud owners.

Thanks for all your time guys, truly do appreciate it!
Old 01-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

All depends which model you get. VQ35DE's are a little more tuner friendly while the VQ35HR's will make more power. I have a HKS Supercharged 2004 Touring 6-speed and just got it back from the supercharger install, the car has been in my possession for 4yrs now. Some VQ35DE Rev-ups had oil consumption problems, 07-08 CSC's go bad quite often, and window motors own the 350z. TT's are available for both types of VQ's and GTM just released the Rotrex'd supercharger kit or the HR. HR's feel weak but in reality it's smoother than the DE and your going faster but it just doesn't feel that way. there's a wealth of knowledge on this site, click on the Stickies on each sub section to better familiarize yourself with common Z topics. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:25 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve1578
I currently own a 2004 vw r32, which I do love, but am looking for something a little easier to maintain, modify, and something a little cheaper to own.
Not certain why a 350Z would meet any of this criteria.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Arvin89

Definitely not a cheap car to maintain/modify and what not.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:34 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

especially if your plan is to boost it .. not really sure you know what you're in for.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:43 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well,you are sure talking about 2 different cars.Ironically,I can relate to your R.My daughter owns one.I've driven it several times.She has some the same views as you.The R is a costly car to maintain.Gets poor mpg.BUT...SURE IS A BLAST TO DRIVE.AWD,great tranny,the SOUND!The German cars,and this R has a exhaust note that is among the best I've heard.For forum members that may be unfamiliar to the R32,its akin to our NISMO.Has numbered plate.Only so many made.Much less than the NISMO.Has a somewhat cult following.
I really don't know what you are looking for.If you want something that is pretty bulletproof,cheaper to maintain/better gas mileage,has gobs of stuff that you can mod,
the Z is the answer.The Z is a very trouble free car.No back seat...
When you come to the "P" word...power,only you can decide,what "power" means to you.A right out of the box Z has enough power for many.You may want an extra kick in the pants coming off a R.Handling is another factor.The Z is not gonna match your
glued-to-the -road AWD R.
Driving both,I'll take my Z.The R would get boring after a short time.Also,I LIKE TO MESS WITH MY CARS.The R really tells you to,"leave me alone"...I'm perfect right from the factory!

By the way,I've had my 03 Touring since I bought it in 2002!
Not ONE problem...usual brakes,service etc,replace rear deck lifts..thats it.
I've never been bored...keep finding more things to tweak!

Last edited by JCITY; 01-22-2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:39 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Not certain why a 350Z would meet any of this criteria.
Originally Posted by Arvin89
Definitely not a cheap car to maintain/modify and what not.
Yes you guys would usually right but R32's are more expensive to own/mod than a Z is. They're rare and very few people make anything for it.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:41 AM
JCITY
Banned

Cool Its already done

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Yes you guys would usually right but R32's are more expensive to own/mod than a Z is. They're rare and very few people make anything for it.
You are right,not many things are made for the R.The VW did its homework alot better that Nissan did with the Nismo(at least,the older models).The R is basically a Golf modified in all the right places--6 cylinder,lotsa torque,great suspension,brakes,wheels/tires,exhaust system,paddle shifters,some subtle body mods.
Whats there to do?
I guess there are R32 clubs were guys stand around and talk about the number of their car.Then...................AH?what else to talk about?
Hey,buy a Z and have some fun!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:35 AM
STL 350Z

108K miles on my Z. Only thing needing fixed was rear axle clicking and a window motor. Going to be putting a new clutch and flywheel in but that's normal.

Otherwise its the best car I've ever owned.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Steve1578

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for all the responses. You guys got it right, the .:R truly is a great car from factory. And in it's own sense, I almost don't want to mess with it because of that reason. It's almost like, "Hmm, do I spend 1500 on coilovers? But why, it's already perfect suspension." Things like that. I LOVE this car, but I am a guy that loves to buy and mod to make it truly my own, and not feel like i'm almost ruining a perfect car. Explain what you guys mean by expensive for turbo? HPA turbo kit for r32 goes for 20k. I have found some kits for about 6-7k, but I've also found that for the z. And there's a full service nissan dealership near me that would instal all this stuff for me as well(a very fair and reputable dealer might i add). I feel like the Z might just be what I'm looking for. It might not have that screaming vr6 sound, or the awd grip, but the z almost feels like it's begging to be made your own, and pushed to the limits.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:16 PM
JCITY
Banned

Cool single turbo

Originally Posted by Steve1578
Hey everyone! Thanks so much for all the responses. You guys got it right, the .:R truly is a great car from factory. And in it's own sense, I almost don't want to mess with it because of that reason. It's almost like, "Hmm, do I spend 1500 on coilovers? But why, it's already perfect suspension." Things like that. I LOVE this car, but I am a guy that loves to buy and mod to make it truly my own, and not feel like i'm almost ruining a perfect car. Explain what you guys mean by expensive for turbo? HPA turbo kit for r32 goes for 20k. I have found some kits for about 6-7k, but I've also found that for the z. And there's a full service nissan dealership near me that would instal all this stuff for me as well(a very fair and reputable dealer might i add). I feel like the Z might just be what I'm looking for. It might not have that screaming vr6 sound, or the awd grip, but the z almost feels like it's begging to be made your own, and pushed to the limits.
You could go with a single turbo system on a 6MT Z and easily add 100hp.
Momentum makes a great system for around 7k(Momentum has been reported out of business,but I am sure many systems are out there).You'll be up to 10k by the time you install,exhaust mods etc/tune.
You are right about the R.I can see our views are the same.The R is a neat car.A super pocket rocket.As I mentioned,fine as is.It would loose its resale value if you screwed with it.By the way,with the mods I've done on my Z(not
FI),I can easily out run my daughter" stock r32.Now handling wise,thats a different story.Also,my Z looks a helluva lot better than the "sleeper" Golf/r32.
Whats your budget?If money is not a big concern,buy a 370 Nismo.But then again,you are gretting into a car that is pretty "right" right out of the box.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:50 AM
Deltavision21

If you want something cheap and easy to maintain and modify, your best bet is a gti. A stock gti with a $500 chip can beat a stock 350z. A turbo kit for a gti is around 2.5k, a turbo kit for the Z is around 10k+. Still a blast to drive and you won't regret having a Z, even if it's stock.