2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Just got a z! :) But my srt-4 is faster :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 01:07 AM
Exhaust Depot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a z! :) But my srt-4 is faster :(

Hey whats up guys!?

This is my first post. It has been one crazy year for me I tell ya. I sold my mkiv supra and purchased a house with the returns. I then did something I never though I would do, I bought an american car. I purchased the first SRT-4 (I think) in the nation (available to the public that is).

I made the first turbo back exhaust for it and the made great power.

Well I missed driving a rearwheel drive car and missed the nice classyness of driving a luxury sports car which the SRT did not satisfy in me. So I broke down and got a bricklay track edition. Now to find some nice leather seats.

Im going to have to see what I can do to make this puppy fast. Most of my customers are putting down 250+Hp to the wheels and they will easily pull on me. Im comparing this based on my roomates g35 6mt. My current srt-4 put down 303 to the wheels and I now hav ea t3/t4 setup with ported head which shoudl yeild an easy 400 to the wheels. Easy mid 11 car. A girl in our group with 270hp does 12.4!

Whats the most HP you guys are getting from the car with out going NOS or force induction? Eventually I will make my own TT kit but for the mean time I just want to go full bolt ons.

Any help will be great. Will make it a whole easier than rumiging through all the post. Also what HP can the car hold with out opening it up? I Saw a video of one blowing up at the track with NOS, not sure if it has TT or not.

PS,
Happy new year guys!

Hector
Attached Thumbnails Just got a z! :) But my srt-4 is faster :(-exhaustside.jpg  
Old 01-02-2004, 01:11 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh boy, another one of these posts. This is going to be another good one.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:12 AM
Exhaust Depot

lol,

What, the srt part being fast or the "hey im new everyone?"
Old 01-02-2004, 01:20 AM
r34 racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So where are the pics of your Z?
Old 01-02-2004, 01:25 AM
Exhaust Depot

Originally posted by r34 racer
So where are the pics of your Z?
lol, This here is the only pic I have of it. Im in FL and its in CT. Had my dad go check it out for me. Flying up this week to pick it up.

I have owned two conquest, MKIII and an MKIV supra. I tuned them for 12-12.5/1, what are you guys tuning the z to being that its an N/A?

Whats safe and whats aggressive? What should I stay below? Im goign to install an emanage in it. Works great on my srt, should be even better on the Z.
Attached Thumbnails Just got a z! :) But my srt-4 is faster :(-my350z.jpg  
Old 01-02-2004, 04:38 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most have been kinda disappointed by the N/A potential of the Z so far. If you just go bolt on stuff, you can get to 250-265 to the rear wheels for about $2500-$4000. Willing to do cams and the above will get you to 275-290 for about $5000-$7000. So far very few have done internals. Nothing radical yet. One guys is at 300rwhp.

Here's the short version of reading this website, imho.

FI is not reliable because of fuel/timing management due
to crappy adaptive ECU and the bandaids required to fix it.

Spending $7000 bucks will get you 30-40hp N/A. So don't throw money at the car expecting it to get 500hp. Use your crainium to find the bottlenecks in the engine and remove them.

If you do happen to find valuable information about the VQ motor or ECU keep it to yourself or you'll get flamed.

BEST OF

Crawford plenum (Best bang for buck) $500-$700
(Although some people who don't have the plenum don't think its proven)

Random Tech Hiflo cats (2nd best bang for buck) $500
(Although some people claim they make your motor run lean.)

Unorthodox Pulleys (Cheapest proven mod) $180-340
(Although some people who don't run them think they
are bad for the motor. VQ is internally balanced btw.)

Cams (Probably the biggest single gainer mod) $1100+ install

WORST OF

If we had a nickle for every noob who said they are building a boosted application for the Z we'd be rich.

Lets see what else; Oh Yeah, welcome to the board.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:57 AM
Dissolved

return it for an SRT4 then. If you bought a 350Z for straight line performance, you did the wrong thing and will never be happy
Old 01-02-2004, 05:53 AM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Pure Tremble
return it for an SRT4 then. If you bought a 350Z for straight line performance, you did the wrong thing and will never be happy
I agree, you should buy the mustang SVT cobra.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:07 AM
ColecatZ

keep in mind, you will gain quite a bit of power ofver the first 5-10k miles. I dynoed 223 hp at 1400 miles and then 249.7 at 11,000 miles on the same dyno and not having changed a thing on the car. So, some ppl will put down 250rwhp stock and then build from there.

I also so have to agree, if straights are your deal, you are missing the real fun with this car.....take care and good luck.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:09 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

yep.. saw an 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra on the street last weekend, asked him how much hp did he have, he said 500hp!! He was eager to try to race me, but I knew better... We parked our cars and I asked him what he has done to it, he said a few upgrades to boost the supercharger, exhaues, chip, etc. and it only cost total of $2000!! He also said it runs mid 11sec... I totally believe him..

my point is, you should've bought the Mustang SVT Cobra as Reeggi914 has suggested
Old 01-02-2004, 07:01 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by Apexi350z
yep.. saw an 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra on the street last weekend, asked him how much hp did he have, he said 500hp!! He was eager to try to race me, but I knew better... We parked our cars and I asked him what he has done to it, he said a few upgrades to boost the supercharger, exhaues, chip, etc. and it only cost total of $2000!! He also said it runs mid 11sec... I totally believe him..

my point is, you should've bought the Mustang SVT Cobra as Reeggi914 has suggested
pulley, intake and exhaust mid 11s? That seems a little fast to me. Did you see a timeslip?
Old 01-02-2004, 07:03 AM
Exhaust Depot

Hey thanks for the info guys. Honestly I was not looking to make a big monster or anything. The car is RWD which means im a happy camper around the turns while I drift!! I don't dare pull the srt hand brake around the turn.

I installed the emanage on my srt-4 and it was very difficult to figure it out. I recall reading also that the emanage was not able to control timing on the z which now i know is called the VQ(thanks zillinoise).

The problem with my SRT and I beleive with the VQ is that you do not have a ignitor.

On the SRT you have ECU then coils. The emanage is setup to go inbetween the ECU and Ignitor which runs a lesser voltage. ECU direct to coil runs a higher voltage which fries the emanage ignition .

What you need to do is to find an ignitor from a supra or something and install it into the VQ. This will allow you to control timing. ONce i figure out how to do iton the srt, ill do it for the vq.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:18 AM
JimRHIT

Check of MM&FF in some of last spring's issues ... they did just about every mod for the 03 Cobra ... save for changing out the blower for the Blowzilla .... anyways ... around May?? i think ... they did an article called "11s for $1100!!! it can be done" ... so yes ... $2000 will put the 03 deep in the 11s with tires and a good driver ... it is possible

jim
Old 01-02-2004, 07:25 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by JimRHIT
Check of MM&FF in some of last spring's issues ... they did just about every mod for the 03 Cobra ... save for changing out the blower for the Blowzilla .... anyways ... around May?? i think ... they did an article called "11s for $1100!!! it can be done" ... so yes ... $2000 will put the 03 deep in the 11s with tires and a good driver ... it is possible

jim
Yea I just spoke to my friend and asked him. Pretty impressive. Some guy hit an 11.65 with pulley, superchip, full exhaust.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:27 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by Exhaust Depot

What you need to do is to find an ignitor from a supra or something and install it into the VQ. This will allow you to control timing. ONce i figure out how to do iton the srt, ill do it for the vq.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:22 AM
r34 racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey thanks for the info guys. Honestly I was not looking to make a big monster or anything. The car is RWD which means im a happy camper around the turns while I drift!! I don't dare pull the srt hand brake around the turn.

I installed the emanage on my srt-4 and it was very difficult to figure it out. I recall reading also that the emanage was not able to control timing on the z which now i know is called the VQ(thanks zillinoise).

The problem with my SRT and I beleive with the VQ is that you do not have a ignitor.

On the SRT you have ECU then coils. The emanage is setup to go inbetween the ECU and Ignitor which runs a lesser voltage. ECU direct to coil runs a higher voltage which fries the emanage ignition .

The only ignitor i can think of in the engine is a spark plug...so we should all get supra spark plugs? Did you mean ignition controller (if there is such a thing outside of a new ECU)?
Old 01-02-2004, 08:35 AM
Exhaust Depot

On the supras (im a supra guy, mkiii and mkiv ) its called the igniter, on others its called ignition modual.
Depending on what car you have it will be called different.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:48 AM
jreiter

on the z which now i know is called the VQ(thanks zillinoise).

Welcome to the forum. Brickyard is my *favorite* color on the Z, but unfortunately it was only available on the 2003 models, and I bought a 2004.

Just to clear up any misunderstandings, the term "VQ" refers only to the *motor* in the Z. The actual model name of the motor itself is the "VQ35DE", so everyone just calls it VQ for short.

Oh, and up above 'zillinois' says to keep any valuable info to yourself lest you get flamed. I'm hoping he was just being cynical. (Probably due to an excess of surprisingly unfriendly people on this forum.) I say you should always share any good info you find out! Just be sure to back it up with facts and proof. There are indeed a lot of folks around here who get very uptight very quickly. Just ignore them and stick to the useful posts from people! There are lots of good, knowledgeable folks around here.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:54 AM
MX350

welcome!
Old 01-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Exhaust Depot

Thanks.

Alot of good info here im digging up so far. Is there any hunters among us? Who shoots the trolls?

Quick Reply: Just got a z! :) But my srt-4 is faster :(