Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Calling All The OGs. Alberto, DavidV, Ect, Ect..Tell Me How To Build My Z!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 10:18 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by KingBaby
*came in expecting pics*
Originally Posted by deeno
Same here.
Originally Posted by jerseystyle
Me 3!
Originally Posted by ksuberk54
yeah...unless you have pics
Originally Posted by ImWeeZzel
Originally Posted by BoomerZ33
thread needs pics
Originally Posted by Kingeddie
Pics??????????
Originally Posted by xX Lil Oly Xx
They still want pics of your car!
+9

Originally Posted by shyun1250
Understood, now that you have explained your reasoning it makes more sense.
If it is possible can an op please change the title to something more appropriate to the topic please. I apparently fail at this... lol
My pleasure...
Old 05-02-2012, 02:36 PM
shyun1250

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vo7848
+9

My pleasure...
Waow. Thank you good sir.
I guess I deserved that.
But can you please change it to something more appropriate?
And not with such high levels of trollery? lol.

Originally Posted by Deteria
I think Motordyne has pretty good proven gains. Look up the vids on the Motordyne setup on youtube and see for yourself. Also... hear the exhaust in person. I've heard plenty of other 350z exhausts and they all sound like crap with the rasps / popping. I was hesitant on getting the Motordyne Shockwave TDX2 exhaust at 1st, being it is priced at ~$1500 which is a bit high when I can get alternatives for < $1k. But I can guarantee you won't regret as I have yet to regret it till this day. Also, recordings don't do justice on this exhaust. You have to hear it in person
Problem is I already purchased one.... haha.
What the recorded average gains with the motordyne exhaust set up?
I was just on the motordyne site like 5 min ago looking at it

I need some advice to clear something up.

it seems the more I research the more confusing things become.

The debate is between the iso thermal spacer vs. MREV2 for a DE.

So at first people were saying a spacer is the best bang for buck.
But MREV2 users are saying that the MREV2 has greater gains and is generally better even for a DE engine. They were also talking about how the cars ECU would be restrictive of the cars potential with a spacer unless with a new ecu or reflash.
However, Spacer threads have discussed that the ECU problem can be resolved by unplugging the battery during install...

Which is all very contradictory and confusing.

Would it mean that if I were to buy a plenum spacer and the MREV2 and did the install with the engine unplugged everything will be good to go for the time being? Its hard to believe that the whole MREV2 thread including Hydrazine (motordyne) would have overlooked this.

So the Plenum spacer iso thermal with copper going for around $260
And the MREV2 after rebate will be around $390

Which is the better deal?

I certainly don't want to go for a reflash or tune quite yet, atleast until I find a really reputable tuner in the area.

Last edited by jerseystyle; 05-03-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:04 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

3.7 or 3.9 final drive is what I'm reading from AT guys.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

hope you've got $$

motordyne 5/16 spacer (forget the mrev2, it's for the revup engines mainly)
dc sports headers
test pipes
motordyne dual w/ xyz pipe
transgo valve body upgrade
uprev osiris tune

done.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:34 PM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Waow. Thank you good sir.
I guess I deserved that.
But can you please change it to something more appropriate?
And not with such high levels of trollery? lol.
I personally think it's perfect.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:43 PM
shyun1250

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
3.7 or 3.9 final drive is what I'm reading from AT guys.
Hey Sparco,
Can you explain the 3.7 or 3.9?
I can't follow unfortunately. I'd be interested in reading more about it.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
hope you've got $$

motordyne 5/16 spacer (forget the mrev2, it's for the revup engines mainly)
dc sports headers
test pipes
motordyne dual w/ xyz pipe
transgo valve body upgrade
uprev osiris tune

done.
MREV2 justification came from here:
https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...ouring-17.html

They were offering $200 rebates before which made them cost the same. However it looks like they lowered it to only $75... =/

I want to look more into the ECU complication indicated on that thread with the spacer further before making the purchase. just me though.

Test pipes might be an issue in my area and ART pipes are more expensive than Berk HFC's... worth it?

Motordyne XYZ which pipe is the best to go with? (straight, resonated, HFC) I've heard resonated but I'd like to hear other opinions.

I will research valve body upgrades.

I was going for 10k in total mods.

My breakdown was this:

wheels/tires/suspension work = $6.5k
Bodywork = $ 2k
Engine work = $1.5 - 2k

The engine stuff is something I only figure i'd start doing recently, so no plan has really been made on it.
I have around 6 -7k in on hand cash but I realize the fun in this isn't to do it all at once but to take your time and watch it grow. So no plans on just throwing it around anytime soon.

Last edited by jerseystyle; 05-03-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:51 PM
PikesPeakZ

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alberto
You lost me at A/T
OMFG Alberto that one had me.....
Old 05-02-2012, 06:53 PM
shyun1250

Originally Posted by jerseystyle
Enough with the AT bashing and stay on topic.
^ Please. And thank you.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 PM
realist alive

just use the search button, this thread has gotten out of control
Old 05-02-2012, 06:59 PM
shyun1250

Originally Posted by realist alive
just use the search button, this thread has gotten out of control
I have been doing a lot searching. But as mentioned before a lot of the information that's being presented is usually contradictory or more opinionated or based on popularity than real empirical data or of any real backing.
Hence I wanted to ask on this thread those question's I couldn't find answers for and to see if I could get some more ideas.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:09 PM
My a 2 z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going for 10k in total mods.

My breakdown was this:

wheels/tires/suspension work = $6.5k
Bodywork = $ 2k
Engine work = $1.5 - 2k

The engine stuff is something I only figure i'd start doing recently, so no plan has really been made on it.
I have around 6 -7k in on hand cash but I realize the fun in this isn't to do it all at once but to take your time and watch it grow. So no plans on just throwing it around anytime soon.

Forget looks go F/I with that kind of $$$. I'd look at turbo z before i look at veilside widebody kit for a z. Just my opinion.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:10 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...pressions.html

5 AT

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...installed.html

http://g35driver.com/forums/drivetra...ive-gears.html

Hey Sparco,
Can you explain the 3.7 or 3.9?
I can't follow unfortunately. I'd be interested in reading more about it.

Thanks again.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:57 AM
shyun1250

Originally Posted by My a 2 z
Forget looks go F/I with that kind of $$$. I'd look at turbo z before i look at veilside widebody kit for a z. Just my opinion.
mhm. But the car is older and the paint is suffering... its got little knicks and such and bugs the hell out of me.

I haven't mentioned this before (apologies) but its going to be my DD as of this year and I don't track the car. I felt that boosting it would be useless b/c I won't be using it for anything just burning more, well, everything. Just really looking for that extra little kick.

Thanks sparco!

Just got home and its 5 am.
But will be an enjoying read tmrw!
If I have any problems understanding, i'll post em up and hopefully you can help me. If its alright with you of course.

Last edited by jerseystyle; 05-03-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:20 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm surprised you guys didn't stone him... the new more gentle My350z.com I guess.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:43 PM
shyun1250

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
I'm surprised you guys didn't stone him... the new more gentle My350z.com I guess.
Why may I ask?
I realize you are active member and I have seen your posts quite often but I don't see much of a difference between this thread and a few others out there for manual tran when it comes to asking advice about engine modifications.
Unlike most advice threads, I feel like I'm pretty open to suggestions and quite willing to learn. Without this thread, I would have never come across MREV2's or Osiris tunes. So I think it was quite successful really.

Plus I got some new reading material too

Last edited by shyun1250; 05-03-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:02 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why may I ask?
I realize you are active member and I have seen your posts quite often but I don't see much of a difference between this thread and a few others out there for manual tran when it comes to asking advice about engine modifications.
Unlike most advice threads, I feel like I'm pretty open to suggestions and quite willing to learn. Without this thread, I would have never come across MREV2's or Osiris tunes. So I think it was quite successful really.

The stoning would have had little to do with your attitude and more to do with folks seeing an opportunity to "unleash the hounds" on someone that is "asking for opinions". It's just seen as an open invitation when folks ask for advice, that's all.

Considering the way that the title started out, I'm surprised at how tame the responses really were in here. I actually avoided the thread intentionally to give folks the time to have some fun first - because I assumed that I would be coming in here to lock it (purely based on the title).

The new, kinder, gentler My350Z…. pretty accurate IMO.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 05-03-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:50 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are right as i have lost my kill noobs at all cost mentality..so please
Old 05-03-2012, 05:03 PM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. Interesting thread. I still see no pics of op's ride. I'm in for the-end !!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Why may I ask?

I'm a firm advocate in going to the desired sub-section and reading up on the stickies... maybe THEN I'll ask a question. This technique will work for most questions that you'll have i.e. Drivetrain, DYI and etc. Follow the flow chart below:

1. Go to the upper left corner on the webapage that that reads "Discussion Forums"... and click "Forced Induction" from the pull down menu:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction-182/

2. Scroll down to the "Sticky Threads" and chose the one of the threads available that fit your needs:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...for-noobs.html

- There are many builds in progress and you can see what those guys are doing to their particular vehicles.

Some if not all your questions will be answered just by reading one thread. If you have questions about anything AFTER you read the sticky then it's fine to post a specific topic in the right forum. The DE platform has been around for a long time now and though newer tech comes out... it's relatively all the same. I did plenty of reading before I went FI'd and the questions I had about specific items were addressed to specific individuals via PM. This forum is FULL of awesome information but it's useless if you don't read on your own... kinda like having all the info in a book but are too lazy to find it yourself. This is a dreamer thread IMHO being I haven't seen anything... I paid close to $7k for my set up from beginning to end and my HKS GT kit is probably the cheapest Supercharger option out there and I have a OEM block. My new set up is going to be in the $15k range for the new blower, built engine, new accessories and that's with selling my old HKS GT kit.

It makes no sense to call out individuals who've seen this type of stuff before and I'm actually surprised at some of the responses from those who are notorious for being Noobslayers.

Last edited by Flo-ridaZ33; 05-03-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:20 PM
shyun1250

I'm a firm advocate in going to the desired sub-section and reading up on the stickies... maybe THEN I'll ask a question. This technique will work for most questions that you'll have i.e. Drivetrain, DYI and etc. Follow the flow chart below:

1. Go to the upper left corner on the webapage that that reads "Discussion Forums"... and click "Forced Induction" from the pull down menu:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction-182/

2. Scroll down to the "Sticky Threads" and chose the one of the threads available that fit your needs:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...for-noobs.html

- There are many builds in progress and you can see what those guys are doing to their particular vehicles.

Some if not all your questions will be answered just by reading one thread. If you have questions about anything AFTER you read the sticky then it's fine to post a specific topic in the right forum. The DE platform has been around for a long time now and though newer tech comes out... it's relatively all the same. I did plenty of reading before I went FI'd and the questions I had about specific items were addressed to specific individuals via PM. This forum is FULL of awesome information but it's useless if you don't read on your own... kinda like having all the info in a book but are too lazy to find it yourself. This is a dreamer thread IMHO being I haven't seen anything... I paid close to $7k for my set up from beginning to end and my HKS GT kit is probably the cheapest Supercharger option out there and I have a OEM block. My new set up is going to be in the $15k range for the new blower, built engine, new accessories and that's with selling my old HKS GT kit.

It makes no sense to call out individuals who've seen this type of stuff before and I'm actually surprised at some of the responses from those who are notorious for being Noobslayers.
Hey Flo-ridaZ33,

I should thank you for taking the time to look through the thread and taking the time to write up your response.

I just want to address a few points about what you said.
Please feel free to disregard the information whenever you want as I am not here to start anything. Like most people on this forum I just want to get the most out of my Z.

1.The threads for A/T NA applications seems to be limited. Many of the modification that is being discussed is more for the M/T platform and no one really takes the time to differentiate the mods for noob A/T members like me.

2. I admit I only read to page 7 on the sticky thread on engine modification, but the thread turned into a flame fest and the conversation completely drifted off topic so I stopped reading. However the beginning of the thread, where most of the information was to be had,the part on N/A application was very generalized.

Typical NA mods include exhaust and headers, cams, pulleys, air intakes, and plenum. Remember, don’t add a plenum and then decide to get a Dream Workes or Stillen supercharger because you will simply be taking off the plenum you just purchased. You got to make up your mind if you are going NA, SC, or TT before you begin modifying your motor unless you like wasting money.
If I had simply gone with that and not asked any questions, I would have likely ended up with a upper plenum instead of the spacer or MREV2 and ended up over spending hundreds of dollars. I am sure you have previous knowledge and experience to figure out this stuff but for us noobs we are left in the dark.

3. The process I used instead was to go onto the engine thread discussions and see what mods other member were running. You begin to notice things like intake and plenum spacers right away because everyone is using them. I then proceed to research that topic. It's worked out for me so far, I've had the opportunity to get to read some interesting material and informative. However it did have certain limitations.

4. The limitations in many build threads is that much of the facts presented are highly subjected to personal preference/opinion or current popularity. As mention before in this thread the ART test pipes and Berk HFC's are popular here while the fast intentions HFC and test pipes are highly sought after in my local forum in the NW.

5. Do to the fact that much of the modifications are best on personal opinion, (eg. the supercharger, TT, NA, NOS debate discussed in the sticky that you are referring to,) I don't think that I would be able to get the best answers simply by pming people individually as even their answers could be based on opinion or personal preference. I also think its highly inefficient. What is the forum for anyways (not to discussion), if your going to go around just pming people??

6. Idk if you actually read the thread but the call out was not done by myself but by a trolling MOD who changed the title. I guess I asked for it lol.

I feel that people have the option of posting on a thread or not. Some members were actually giving good feedback and was very helpful.
I wanted to open discussion to try and clear up certain things that seem to be opinionated and see if there are any empirical data that is out now that I haven't come across yet that may support one point or another. You are right, the DE is old and many of the threads I'm reading are from 2004 - 2007. I'm not saying its bad, just its been 5 - 8 years. Would have been nice to see if anything has changed.

In either case, as you are a member of more influence than I, if you really feel that this thread is useless (which kinda is now with all this flaming) then you may get an MOD to close this thread. However, for the sake of discussion I would prefer to continue getting constructive feedback.

Cheers,

Shyun

Quick Reply: Calling All The OGs. Alberto, DavidV, Ect, Ect..Tell Me How To Build My Z!