Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

All 8 parts of Brad4dHay's Detailing Session, Word Doc

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 05:27 PM
twinzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All 8 parts of Brad4dHay's Detailing Session, Word Doc

Brad4dHay, thank you so much for your AWESOME writeups. You have a wealth of detailing knowledge that would have taken me years of money, trial and error, and scratches on my Z, to gain.

I thought it would help if I would put it in a Word document for the readers here. Don't mind if I took the liberty of correcting the spelling, spell-check is a wonderful thing.

The direct link is:
http://www.inetaccess.com/twinzz/8detail.doc

The above link, along with Pics of my brickyard can be found here:
http://www.inetaccess.com/twinzz
Old 09-10-2002, 05:28 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Nice -- thanks very much!
Old 09-10-2002, 05:34 PM
Mikey Likes It
Charter Member #44

Thanks dood!

Downloaded that one for some good reference.

Mikey
Old 09-10-2002, 05:40 PM
twinzz

Default drying?

almost forgot to ask you brad, how do you DRY the car? Was it covered somewhere or did I miss something? It seems like this procedure can scratch the paint, especially now that you have direct, non-lubricated contact with the paint surface.

I use a synthetic chamois, but still get that annoying water spot haze if I don't dry it fast enough.
Old 09-10-2002, 05:57 PM
spaceboy

Thanks Brad4dhay and twinzz!!

Can't wait to try out these tips on my brickyard...
Old 09-10-2002, 05:59 PM
Brad4rdHay

Damn, I told you they are incomplete. I hate drying the car because I seem to never be able to get it completely dry. Heres what I have found to be the best way to go about this. Real leather chamios can strip wax (not polymers), and dry out. Synthetics are hard to keep in great shape too with mold and such. My favorite tool is the Big Blue Drying Towel at properautocare.com. Its made from a material known as microfiber, which absorbs about 7 times as much water as cotton. This towel is huge, and absorbs a hell of a lot. After using a gentle stream to sheet the water off the car, I use the Big Blue, and a smaller, cheaper microfiber towel, and walk around the car, gently wiping with the Blue, then finishing up with the smaller towel. My 2nd favorite is a synthetic chamios called the Water Bandit from a company called Wizards...i forget the address though. If you do a thurough job washing the car and you keep it clean and waxed, drying shouldn't cause too many scratches...the key to washing and drying is thurough, yet gentle.

Last edited by Brad4rdHay; 09-10-2002 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:11 PM
Brad4rdHay

Found a typo, under interior and shampooing, I said "this goes for the carbon leather", i MEANT carbon CLOTH. Just remember, if you have to scrub the cloth seats, be gentle with them. Leather is much tougher and you can scrub fairly vigerously.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:32 PM
mike952

Originally posted by Brad4rdHay
Damn, I told you they are incomplete. I hate drying the car because I seem to never be able to get it completely dry. Heres what I have found to be the best way to go about this. Real leather chamios can strip wax (not polymers), and dry out. Synthetics are hard to keep in great shape too with mold and such. My favorite tool is the Big Blue Drying Towel at properautocare.com. Its made from a material known as microfiber, which absorbs about 7 times as much water as cotton. This towel is huge, and absorbs a hell of a lot. After using a gentle stream to sheet the water off the car, I use the Big Blue, and a smaller, cheaper microfiber towel, and walk around the car, gently wiping with the Blue, then finishing up with the smaller towel. My 2nd favorite is a synthetic chamios called the Water Bandit from a company called Wizards...i forget the address though. If you do a thurough job washing the car and you keep it clean and waxed, drying shouldn't cause too many scratches...the key to washing and drying is thurough, yet gentle.
As far as drying, I use a super clean squeege (spelling???)...but it is especially made to match the countours of the car...so it's like 1-1.5 inch width of rubber. It leaves the body dropless...you can then do the minor details with a towel, shamee, or what ever you would normally use...

I'll see if I can snap a picture and post it.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:00 PM
NissaNZ

Thanks guys this is very valuable info, appreciate it.
Old 09-11-2002, 04:34 AM
padam07

Default I like...

I personally prefer what is called "The Absorber". It is completely synthetic but very soft and will never get lidew or rot.

http://www.click4parts.com/click4par...rsalProducts=1
Old 09-12-2002, 06:58 AM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Brad4dhay and twinzz!!

I had been cutting & pasting the threads into word also, but you posted this before I completed. Just finished printing a hard copy.

Yesterday, I received my 3 gallons of goodies from AI. Now all I need is my Z

Thank you Brad for the wealth of info!

One question? Should the carpet, mats & seats be Scotchguarded? I've done this in the past with good results.

Moderators, shouldn't this be in the NEW detailing section?
Old 09-12-2002, 07:09 AM
SunsetZ

One thing I read recently on drying was to be sure to wash and dry the car in shade, so as to avoid water spots. I washed my Z in the garage the other day, and it helps out a lot with keeping the car from drying before getting to it with the chamois.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:22 AM
XeroDgrees

Nice easy to follow, Thanks!

But, shouldn't this be in the detailing forum?
Old 09-12-2002, 11:19 AM
Brad4rdHay

Scothgaurding is good but I think most companies don't use the product because its falamble (or something) The 303 company whop makes the great rubber/vinyl dressing, also makes a carpet protector that not based on scotchgaurd. It works bood but it smells a little wierd for about a half a day. Remember, just follow the direction son tbhe back of the ABC jugs, they are very good. My suggesion, get an old ketchup (like) bottle for the B. And measure the A and C out properly when mixing with water.