Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Cancelling the Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 05:57 AM
aws6000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cancelling the Extended Warranty

I made the mistake of purchasing the Nissan Security+Plus extended warranty. I would like to return it and request a refund, but am not quite sure how to go about it. The service agreement doesn't mention anything about a grace period. Is there something online that I can print out and use as documentation backing up my request for a refund?
Old 01-04-2004, 06:22 AM
aws6000

Ahhh, I found the agreement on the Nissan web site. States in black and white that I can cancel in 60 days for a full refund. Whew, I feel like such an idiot for what I paid ( and no, I will not tell you what I paid ).

http://www.nissanusa.com/owning/Secu...nt/0,,,00.html
Old 01-04-2004, 08:01 AM
westpak
SFZCC

That is exactly what I did, the dealer made the purchase of the extended warranty a must when buying the car, so I said fine, and then cancelled it within 60 days, the ba5tards weren't going to get more money than they could out of me. I didn't get the cash back as they paid it back to bank I financed the car with, even though I gave a large deposit.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:04 AM
Dissolved

when you cancel, it takes off the total price of loan. But does not decrease monthly payments. This is according to the Financial Officer I spoke with at Nissan
Old 01-04-2004, 08:14 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by Dissolved
when you cancel, it takes off the total price of loan. But does not decrease monthly payments. This is according to the Financial Officer I spoke with at Nissan
Exactly, depending on the back you can take a few months off from car payments or just shorten your loan by a few months.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:58 AM
jedoublery

I did the samething, you don't have to deal with your dealer to get a refund.
Talk to Nissan Security, they will fax you papers to sign, get it back to them with all the infos they need, you'll see the money going towards your loan in your next statement.

Just call Nissan Security Plus, they were professional and helpful.
It will only take you like 20 min to get the whole thing done.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:39 PM
aws6000

Originally posted by jedoublery
Just call Nissan Security Plus, they were professional and helpful. It will only take you like 20 min to get the whole thing done.
Thanks. I think that's what I'll do.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:38 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

I canceled mine after having it 5 months and those ***S charged me $200. They said it was pro-rated. WTF, the thing doesn't kick in until my original warranty runs out?

Anyway I canceled it. I will never buy another extended warranty, EVER!
Old 01-04-2004, 06:17 PM
jedoublery

Originally posted by zand02max
I canceled mine after having it 5 months and those ***S charged me $200. They said it was pro-rated. WTF, the thing doesn't kick in until my original warranty runs out?

!!! Really? was it throught Nissan Security+ ???
Old 01-04-2004, 10:11 PM
hornet59

Originally posted by zand02max

Actually the extended warranty starts the day you purchase the warranty. It will run side-by-side with the factory warranty.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:54 PM
neur0sis

Why exactly is everyone cancelling their Extended Warranty?
Old 01-05-2004, 12:44 AM
Rice_Boii

isnt it better to have longer warrenty? I know BMWs tend to have problems after their warrenty discountinues,. By adding extended your car can avoid problems such as the BMWs.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:59 AM
westpak
SFZCC

The thing is that you have until the end of the 3 year standard warranty to buy an extended warranty, they don't tell you this, the price might go up but not much, but by then you will have an idea if you will keep the car, how much trouble you are having with it and if an extended warranty will be useful and also what can of milage you are driving so you know which one to get.

You can always get a third party warranty any time even after the 3 year warranty is up.

The thing is that if you get it when the car is new you are not getting any benefit for the first three years but you are losing money since they pro rate if you cancel or get rid of the car.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:55 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by rich150001
who do i call cancel or alter my warranty? Do I just call nissanusa?
Yes, the number should be in your warranty book.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:35 PM
dainbramage91

I believe it is illegal for a dealership to make you buy an extended warranty...

Everyone makes money off of the extended warranty also.... the dealership I work at charges almost 2k dollars for a 100,000mi warranty.... and I as the salesperson get 3% of that.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:39 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by dainbramage91
I believe it is illegal for a dealership to make you buy an extended warranty...

Everyone makes money off of the extended warranty also.... the dealership I work at charges almost 2k dollars for a 100,000mi warranty.... and I as the salesperson get 3% of that.
Well probably not now, but you have to realize that when this happened to me it was the first 350Z delivered in the area so the bastards had all the cards as people were waiting to buy them and offering more money to get them. But as I mentioned I got the last laugh as I cancelled it within the first 60 days for a full refund.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:48 PM
mooredc

I bought one at the same time I bought my car and have called three times to get the d@mn paperwork, they keep telling me they requested a reprint, but it has been over five month's now and I still don't have any freakin paperwork validating it. I suspect they might not be wanting to honor them because of the known suspension issues, and they hope I will just cancel the thing [I'm about to do that].

It is not effective until the standard Warranty runs out, so I'm not sure what they are pro-rating?
Old 06-01-2005, 06:24 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by mooredc
I bought one at the same time I bought my car and have called three times to get the d@mn paperwork, they keep telling me they requested a reprint, but it has been over five month's now and I still don't have any freakin paperwork validating it. I suspect they might not be wanting to honor them because of the known suspension issues, and they hope I will just cancel the thing [I'm about to do that].

It is not effective until the standard Warranty runs out, so I'm not sure what they are pro-rating?
If it is the Nissan extended warranty it is in effect as we speak read the fine print, so if you do not cancel within the first 60 days they will prorate it, for example if it is a 5 year warranty and you cancel after 12 months you will get 4 years worth back, sorry to break it to you. That is why people should wait until getting close to the standard warrany expiring since it doesn't make sense to buy so early specially since your driving habits might change in 3 years and drive more or less than you expected that way you can get the right warranty.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:44 PM
VeilsideZ33

one of the advantages of having the extended warranty i found was... getting rentals whenever your car is getting warranty work done (i have a Z from the first production run... running mint after a brand new engine/tranny lol) - i definaetly think it's worth it! Also, I suggest finding a dealer that's cool with mods so they don't hassle you and threaten to void your warranty /// once that is accomplished you're good to go for the next 8 years!
Old 06-01-2005, 07:01 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by VeilsideZ33
one of the advantages of having the extended warranty i found was... getting rentals whenever your car is getting warranty work done (i have a Z from the first production run... running mint after a brand new engine/tranny lol) - i definaetly think it's worth it! Also, I suggest finding a dealer that's cool with mods so they don't hassle you and threaten to void your warranty /// once that is accomplished you're good to go for the next 8 years!
I just figured I could rent a lot of cars for the cost of the warranty specially since that is the only benefit for the first 3 years plus I have a beater and work from home, and basically at the point I am at now I really could not use it anyway mod friendly dealer or not, and I didn't forsee this level of mods when I first got the car so I would be pissed right now if I had kept it and would basically be useless.

Quick Reply: Cancelling the Extended Warranty