Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Unbelievable!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 05:49 AM
Nothing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unbelievable!!!

I went test driving G35s and 350Zs this weekend. OMG. I'd never driven either car before. First I have to say, the G35 is bunk. For an infiniti / luxury car, the interior leaves much to be desired. It's not much over the 350, if anything. It's pickup is very slow compared to the Z and it's handling is quite ordinary to say the most. Second, I've seen 350Zs on the road, and I've seen hundreds of pictures of them, but when I went to the Nissan warehouse and stared the Super Black 350Z in the eyes, it never looked better. The car looks so agressive and unlike my previous opinion of Super Black (which I had only seen in pictures), I could definitely see the definition and beauty of the design... no pictures do this car any justice... none at all. So black it will be. Next, the pull is amazing. The dealer let me take the car out with my friend... all by ourselves. Holy ****. Let's just say, I really test drove the puppy. I haven't driven a manual transmission in about 5 - 6 years. And I haven't really driven a car at all for 3 or so years. So right after pulling out of the garage into the warehouse district of Chicago, we took off and tail whipped the car on the first turn...lol... I have to say, the clutch was really poppy. (Can anyone confirm that this will soften as the car is broken in?... It made smooth transitions from gears a little hard and took a little too much effort to do so.) Anyway, the ride was great and the car is great... I couldn't stop fantisizing about it after we got home.

This particular dealer however scared me a bit because he didn't seem to know too much about the car. First, I'm getting DVD Nav, and was concerned that the cover where the screen will be was not going in at all... it pops up and stays out... I'm hoping that this one was just broken b/c it would really suck if the lid doesn't go in... in the pictures on the Nissan site, the cover goes up and back so it's not exposed... can anyone clear this up for me? The dealer didn't know what I was talking about.

Second, this guy thought that manual transmission wasn't available on the Track model... WTF dude?

Third, he hadn't heard the term Super Black before... he wanted to know if that was a special black different from the factory black paint... ummmm... hello?

And finally, he was too hungry for my deal. After I put it on the table... he tried pushing too hard to close me that day. I told him no way... I'm putting my deal out to many dealers and they'll be auctioning for my business after that. He was trying to talk to me about some ******** regarding getting my car serviced at the dealer that is closest to me so that I don't have to get to know more people and can trust them for good service since we would be building the relationship together by my buying the car there. I assured him that I knew his dealership would treat me with the same amount of respect if I got my car serviced there regardless of where I purchased it.

N.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:25 AM
Jsn350Z

Pretty sure in 2004, on non-nav equiped vehicles the lid does not go in. In 03 you had to lift it up instead of it going up itself when you press the button. Also in 03 the lid went back but not in 04. Nav equiped vehicles go back in 04.

Can someone else confirm this?

How many miles where on this car when you beat the crap out of it ?
Old 01-05-2004, 06:29 AM
Nothing

About 53 miles... are you going to be mad at me?
N.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:57 AM
Hey Ya

Originally posted by Jsn350Z
Pretty sure in 2004, on non-nav equiped vehicles the lid does not go in. In 03 you had to lift it up instead of it going up itself when you press the button. Also in 03 the lid went back but not in 04. Nav equiped vehicles go back in 04.

Can someone else confirm this?

How many miles where on this car when you beat the crap out of it ?
You are correct for 2004 non-nav, lid sticks out. Not sure about it w/Nav...
Old 01-05-2004, 08:02 AM
mofoz

w/nav it receeds into the dash by the touch of a button. pretty cool i think.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Nothing

Good... for a little while there I was thinking how shitty of engineering it would be to have that cover sticking out with the NAV unit.

Can anyone talk about the stiffness / poppiness of the clutch? Does it get broken in at all?

N.

Originally posted by mofoz
w/nav it receeds into the dash by the touch of a button. pretty cool i think.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:09 AM
BIGGY

I got my Z from the northern suburbs of Chicago from a buddy of mine who's a dealer. He's good not just because he's my friend, but pretty honest. The dealer gives free washes and comp cars. If you want his name and number send me a PM.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:21 AM
mofoz

the clutch definetly breaks in, and its easy to do quick shifts when driving quickly for a sprint now and then.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:37 AM
thezcarguy

Default You have to be kidding me

You think the G felt sluggish? Its posting numbers that are just as good as the z's. I wouldnt call 0-60 in 5.6 sec. sluggish. But thats just me. And the interior isnt the best out there but I think that most people agree its nicer than that of the the Z, as it should be. It handles nearly as good as the Z as well. Now dont get me wrong, I have plenty of love for the Z, and it may be my next car, but lets be real about it, there is not much of a performance difference beweee the Z and the G. Both are excellent cars.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:42 AM
Nothing

I knew it would kind of sound like I was bashing the G, which I didn't really mean to do. I just couldn't compare the two cars when I drove them back to back. The G felt much heavier and the interior seemed really bland to me. I think the silver highlights on some of the control instruments in the Z make it's interior much more appealing. Also, I really don't like the NAV set-up in the G... it pops out and just kind of sticks out looking vulnerable... whereas on the Z the built in look seems to work really well.

Finally, and this is probably the kicker... The G was an automatic... the Z was a manual

N.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Dissolved

Default Re: You have to be kidding me

Originally posted by thezcarguy
You think the G felt sluggish? Its posting numbers that are just as good as the z's.
show me a test where the G runs high 13s stock
Old 01-05-2004, 10:29 AM
maximumsportZ

Default Re: Re: You have to be kidding me

Originally posted by Dissolved
uh oh, let the war begin.

come on guys were brothers.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:41 AM
thezcarguy

Default Re: Re: You have to be kidding me

I looked, and your right, I couldnt find one. I didnt see one where a Z did it either. Im sure its out there though. I didnt look too hard for it. But what I did find was this........ (from car and driver)"Our test car devoured 1320 feet in 14.2 seconds—an identical time to the coupe and only a 10th behind the Z. The Bimmer needed 14.3 seconds. It seems the various outputs from the 3.5s are closer than Nissan would like us to believe." and "On the skidpad, the sedan, at 0.87 g, fell slightly behind the Z Track at 0.88 g and the G35 coupe's best at 0.90, but it managed to top the 330i (0.86). And keep in mind that those three cars ride on bigger 18-inch wheels and tires. Despite wearing the skinniest rubber, the G35 still shorted them all, posting a distance of 153 feet from 70 to 0 mph. That's less than the pavement needed by the Z (164), G35 coupe (157), 330i (158), and even the Lamborghini Murciélago (155) and the Saleen S7 (156). Perhaps Nissan had some leftover brakes from the R390 GT1 supercar. "Hey, Taka, what should we do with these fancy brakes?"

I don't know about you, but looks like the G and Z share similar performance stats.

Last edited by thezcarguy; 01-05-2004 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Dissolved

Default Re: Re: Re: You have to be kidding me

Originally posted by thezcarguy
I looked, and your right, I couldnt find one. I see one where a Z did it either.

Motor Trend
'03 touring
6mt
0-60 5.5
1/4mile 13.9@102mph

I don't know about you, but looks like the G and Z share similar performance stats.
Yes, in some tests the G is almost as fast as the Z. But not "as" fast. Just being technical today sorry
Old 01-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Nothing

Just out of curiosity... and this is completely theoretical, but when two cars race that have the same engine, assuming all else is constant (driver, track conditions, etc.), but one car is lighter than the other car... the lighter car should be faster?
N.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:25 AM
thezcarguy

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: You have to be kidding me

Motor Trend
'03 touring
6mt
0-60 5.5
1/4mile 13.9@102mph

Yes, in some tests the G is almost as fast as the Z. But not "as" fast. Just being technical today sorry [/B]
You forgot to mention that the G was actually better in at least one area. Thank you for showing me those stats on the z though.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:30 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the super black too...with orange leather...its beautiful
Old 01-05-2004, 03:15 PM
khagen

This particular dealer however scared me a bit because he didn't seem to know too much about the car. First, I'm getting DVD Nav, and was concerned that the cover where the screen will be was not going in at all... it pops up and stays out... I'm hoping that this one was just broken b/c it would really suck if the lid doesn't go in... in the pictures on the Nissan site, the cover goes up and back so it's not exposed... can anyone clear this up for me? The dealer didn't know what I was talking about.

Second, this guy thought that manual transmission wasn't available on the Track model... WTF dude?

Third, he hadn't heard the term Super Black before... he wanted to know if that was a special black different from the factory black paint... ummmm... hello?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had the same problem with the dealer I bought from. Guy was an idiot when it came to the car but I got a good deal. That's what happens when your not as passionate about cars as the readers on this forum...