Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Why'd you get Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: To NAV or not to NAV - that is the question...

Originally posted by topdown-z
I know you guys with the Coupes don't face the same problem that I have but I just want to give my 2 cents for those of you who might be thinking of getting Nav in a Roadster.

As soon as you put the top down while driving in the sunlight....poof there goes your display as the sun washes the image out and you can't see it anymore. And believe me, it seems like the sun is always right behind you or on your left or right side. Grrrr. You Coupe owners might know what I mean when the sunlight hits your digital gauge on the top of the dash cluster when you are trying to see the speedo and the image is washed out.

Nissan USA does not have a fix for it and the guy I spoke with said that when they put the Nav in the Coupe, they didn't really consider the suns effect on the Navi screen with the Roadsters. However, they have received several complaints (mine included) and will be looking into the problem. The briteness and contrast don't help a bit. The sun is just too bright.

Anyway..that's my 2 cents
Your right. Many times on a sunny day i cannot see ANYTHING. It is very annoying.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:14 PM
scubasteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that the NAV is great. I have a great sense of direction and now my city pretty well, but I like to drive away for the weekend sometimes and we love it for that. It can tell you where restaurants are located in an area and you can even search by the type of restaurant you are looking for. Others are right that it does attempt to take you in absurd directions, but that is the nature of these NAV systems, even mapquest on the internet.

One time while driving from Texas, a mapquest map that I had downloaded had me take a country road parallel to a highway as opposed to taking the highway, and then merging back on 40 miles later. I think that this software has lots of development still to be done, but it works great for me. I also like to see a map on the screen when in unfamiliar territory.

And to all of you macho guys who prefer the old fashioned map.....this one doesn't take an hour to fold up, nor need instructions to do so!!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2004, 09:22 PM
Subbacultcha

I wasn't planning on getting the nav at first, but the only black touring Z on hand in the area had a nav in it. I decided to get it anyways after the dealer chopped $1000 off the price.

Now I plan on making sure I have a nav in every vehicle I get from now on. I love it. It's such a lifesaver when I visit unfamiliar complex cities like San Francisco or L.A.

Last edited by Subbacultcha; 01-06-2004 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:00 PM
tatooz

IMO is not worth the value. I got it only because it was the only car on the lot, and the dealer gave me a mark down on that car, rather than finding me another. Its usefull in majors cities, but if you dont travel that much, i would not recommend. If NAV tv was cheaper and easier to install, then i say its worth the money to keep a custom dash, with a dvd or other video source.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:09 PM
islandsnow

I love the nav. When i go on day drives out of town i just start driving taking small mountain/country roads to places i never been. So it comes in handy finding a gas station or a place to eat in unfamiliar areas. Sure i could've downloaded a mapquest map or planned my route before hand, but that takes away from the fun to me.