Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I chose ExXon! What about You guys?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 05:45 PM
lemonjihwan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I chose ExXon! What about You guys?

I heard ExXon and Mobiles are the same company.
Since I live very close to ExXon...
I decided to put ExXon gas in my Z.
So I was just wondering which Gas do you guys put in your Z?

And which gas is the best gas? shell? exxon?? mobile??

Ji.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:51 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Chevron only. Nothing else.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:55 PM
ajk4

yeah i go to exxon also. there gas seems to be the best around where i live.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:57 PM
NY 350Z

same here..exxon if im on one side of town,mobil if im on the other. same thing.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:00 PM
lemonjihwan

What is chevron???
I guess I made a right choice with ExXon.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:22 PM
afr0puff

Mobil and Exxon are the same. I used to go to Mobil, but the owner switched to Sunoco. I asked him why he switched and he said that there is a financial problem within the company. They aren't giving station owners straight answers when it comes to their concerns and what not. He talked with other station owners and they had the same concerns. Maybe they will bring down their standards to save costs? As long as they are still complying with gov't regulations, I don't think they'd care. But this is all speculation.

However, Sunoco is the best gas from what I've heard. I don't think there is a noticeable difference between all the major brands.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:24 PM
johnsZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have settled on Chevron around Phoenix. I bought some Union 76- and ended up with coughing and chugging- very wierd. Also affected my F40 the same way- had to replace two filters in the fuel line (a really big PITA!), and then add some injector cleaner before it ran right again. So, I moved to Chevron super-whatever, and stuck with it. May have been to a bad Union station or two, but their gas really did cause two cars to act up, so there must be something to it....
Old 01-05-2004, 06:32 PM
jj1814

shell

V-POWER!!!!
Old 01-05-2004, 06:34 PM
lemonjihwan

afropuff : hey.. in my area, usually SUNOCO has the lowest price gas.. so I kinda have stereo type that its some kind of cheapgas..

So I guess the different gas's makes the car better huh?

and I've never heard of chevron in my area....??
Old 01-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Zmeflyby

i use shell
Old 01-05-2004, 07:39 PM
zPilott

76 is the only gas station in cali (that I know of) that doesn't use MTBE, which is not recommended in our cars. I use 76 usually, but I also go to shell and chevron, when one is more convenient.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:19 PM
topdown-z

Talking

76 Union ----- 100 Octane at the pump ----- Yea Baby

S.F. Bay Area -- Charter Way, Stockton
Old 01-05-2004, 08:36 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use 76 and Chevron. All these people have been telling me bad things about Shell gas so I stopped using it about 2 years ago ago. There's probably nothing wrong with it but if I have a choice I'll take something else.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Jsn350Z

Chevron, I tried shell to see if it would improve gas mileage. It did not work...
Old 01-05-2004, 09:32 PM
TZUNAMI

Chevron

For a couple reasons.

Mom works for them.

All the detroit automakers tank in Chevron Gas for their testing purposes, emitions, etc...
Old 01-05-2004, 10:37 PM
oscarmayer00

It doesn't make a difference, same source. The gasoline you buy at an independent station probably has the same beginnings as that sold at brand stations. Just use a fuel injector cleaner with a tank of gasoline at least every 20,000 miles.

If you're trying to decide whether to buy off-brand gasoline or spend 15 cents a gallon more for brand-name fuel, you may ask if all gas is the same.

The answer is yes — up to a point.

Major oil companies advertise that their fuels help keep fuel injectors, valves and other internal parts clean. Independents say their additives do the same, but at lower cost.

Both are right, but again — up to a point. The answer lies in the quantity and sometimes the quality of additives, which are primarily detergents, but contain other company-specific formulations. The more additive, the more expensive fuel becomes.

Federal law requires all gasoline to have government-approved detergent additives to prevent engine and fuel supply deposits. The requirement came about when automakers moved from carburetors to fuel injection systems.

The law requires "a concentration of detergent in gasoline no less than the amount used to meet deposit control performance standards in standardized vehicle tests."

Bud Orr, owner of Bud's convenience stores that sell Chevron, said the these additives add to the price.

Chevron, he points out, uses the additive Techron in regular unleaded, midgrade and premium. There's about a 10-cent price jump between grades because of octane, but also the amount of Techron added increases by grade.

Gary Ray, service manager with Lynn Layton Chevrolet, said using gasolines with lower amounts of detergent could contribute to carbon buildup on injectors. But the difference, he said, in lower-priced gasoline and premium would be hard to tell on an engine teardown.

"Cars run so cool now that carbon just forms," Ray said.

Ray recommends using a fuel injector cleaner with a tank of gasoline at least every 20,000 miles.

Vaughn Harwell with the Liberty 2000 station on Sixth Avenue Southeast, agreed that price is based on additives and octane. But as a mechanic since 1958, he said he has never seen major problems from using gasoline bought from independent dealers.

"I've torn down a lot of engines," Harwell said, "and the difference between one using a high-detergent gasoline and one with smaller amounts is small — almost too small to notice. At most, a little carbon on the valves and slight amounts of carbon in the fuel injectors."

The additives, he said, are similar to auto-parts-store products that clean fuel injectors, boost power and help keep valves clean. Drivers can use less expensive gasoline and use an additive they purchase, or no extra additive if they desire.

He does, however, see people wasting money putting premium fuel into a vehicle that calls for regular.

"There's no need," he said. "Most of today's cars are set up to run on regular unleaded. That's all they need. They even run better on regular than on premium."

As for cars whose manufacturers call for premium, Harwell said high performance engines do perform better under highway conditions on premium gasoline. Mileage also improves at higher speeds.

Harwell pointed out that the station where he works was once a Chevron station.

"The same truck still brings us our fuel," he said.

Many times, an independent station can also offer gasoline at a lower price because of overhead, taxes and trucking costs. Some independents don't have to pay the high price of prime property locations that major brands prefer. Stations outside city limits also do not collect the same taxes in many cases. All collect Alabama and federal taxes.

Same source

The gasoline you buy at an independent station probably has the same beginnings as that sold at brand stations.

Beginning at refineries in Texas, gasoline pipelines head toward refineries in Louisiana and Mississippi, turning a trickle of refined fuel into a river as they head across the South.

The lines branch as they go, crossing Mississippi and Alabama as they head toward the terminus at Atlanta. The lines carry the various gasoline grades to terminals, such as the one in Birmingham that serves North Alabama.

From this terminal, the gasoline goes to tank farms owned by various dealers and distributors, where it is blended with additives to individual companies' specifications.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:41 PM
MX350

shell
Old 01-06-2004, 04:24 AM
BigBadBuford

I use Hess gas about 75% of the time and I will get Sunoco occasionally. They usually have the best prices and I notice that when I get other brands of gas my milage usually drops like a rock. In my Honda I went from getting a consistent 26-28 mpg on Hess gas to 24.3 mpg on a tank of Sheetz gas(Exxon, I think).
Old 01-06-2004, 04:49 AM
DruDragzOn

I use shell.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:27 AM
touring

Thanks oscarmayer, that was an excellent job of research. I've used this knowledge in my gas buying, saving a lot of money in the process. I think others may be saying " don't confuse me with the facts, my minds already made up".

Quick Reply: I chose ExXon! What about You guys?