Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the 350z becoming a civic, rather than a Supra?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:33 PM
djjsarai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Phenom
Most of us are aware of the 350z's transition into a ricer favorite over the past few years, and we can't help but notice the unfortunate following in the footsteps of the Acura integra, Honda civic, etc. As eBay parts, auto zone modifications, and wheels made in china are becoming more and more common, there's no denying that the 350 is becoming more of a graduation present rather than a respected and discontinued sports car. Why are tasteful modifications being replaced by the mindset "just plastidip it bro"?

I can't help but wonder why the now discontinued 350 doesnt look like it will be taking the path of the Toyota supra, Mazda rx7, and the Acura NSX. Cars that were able to hold their value, avoid the rice scene, and remain a respected vehicle decades later. Is it because the 350 was immediately succeeded by the 370, and many owners chose to pass on their 350 to the younger generation so they could upgrade? Or simply has not enough time passed to allow for the poorly taken care of 350s to explode or get totalled in an accident, leaving only the pristine, low-ish mileage 350s to hang around and rehabilitate the Z's reputation and value? Or was the Z just too popular of a car for this to ever happen?

Just something to think about. Any thoughts/ideas?
Hey I just bought my 08 350z in February. I making payments on it, I'm also 18. I bought the car because of its history not because it was a car I could afford. When I saw the 350z first come out in 03 I knew I was going to get one some day. I don't have much money now because of the car and insurance now, but I still try to expensive nice things to it. I've never tried to plasti dip it, I put in intakes after the 1st month and i bought them brand new. I took the bumper off with care and installed them with care. When I used to be in school this other kid had his dad buy him a Nismo 350z. That kid ruined and destroyed that car like it was a honda, his dad took it away before he could do anything else to it and gave him a honda instead. The big difference is when you grow up having almost having nothing. I worked hard for my car and I always take care of it, I know its mine and no one can take it away from me. The biggest thing I'm saying here is that I didn't get money from my parents for a car. I've seen parents give their kids money for a cheap car, but they end up buying a car with more power and street cred. Then they turn them into ricers because of the cheap mods they do and how they treat their cars at times. Where I live I don't see many people making 350z's into a civic, the car is respected a little more where I live. In my mind the 350z is taking the path of the RX-7, NSX, Supra, but its taking it in a new way and style. When I've gone to the races, I've seen 350z's come and people never talk crap or **** about them, but thats where I live and its a respected race, personal car.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:53 PM
WTFMike

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by djjsarai
Hey I just bought my 08 350z in February. I making payments on it, I'm also 18. I bought the car because of its history not because it was a car I could afford. When I saw the 350z first come out in 03 I knew I was going to get one some day. I don't have much money now because of the car and insurance now, but I still try to expensive nice things to it. I've never tried to plasti dip it, I put in intakes after the 1st month and i bought them brand new. I took the bumper off with care and installed them with care. When I used to be in school this other kid had his dad buy him a Nismo 350z. That kid ruined and destroyed that car like it was a honda, his dad took it away before he could do anything else to it and gave him a honda instead. The big difference is when you grow up having almost having nothing. I worked hard for my car and I always take care of it, I know its mine and no one can take it away from me. The biggest thing I'm saying here is that I didn't get money from my parents for a car. I've seen parents give their kids money for a cheap car, but they end up buying a car with more power and street cred. Then they turn them into ricers because of the cheap mods they do and how they treat their cars at times. Where I live I don't see many people making 350z's into a civic, the car is respected a little more where I live. In my mind the 350z is taking the path of the RX-7, NSX, Supra, but its taking it in a new way and style. When I've gone to the races, I've seen 350z's come and people never talk crap or **** about them, but thats where I live and its a respected race, personal car.
Maybe, you should consider going back to school. Your grammar is atrocious.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:58 PM
805350z

Like people have said on here, you can tell how much love a person has put into their Z. Makes me feel much better about mine when i see some horribly done up Z. Keep your car clean and love it for what it is.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:08 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KingBaby
well saggy pants sadly has nothing to do with this...these kids like those tight jeans...skate board shoes...bright colors...sunglasses no glass and rap music with no rap...
Levi's 514 slim straight, Tigers/Converse kicks and house music all day
Old 08-17-2012, 08:03 PM
dfresh713
Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The 350z will probably have a U type depreciation just like the other Z's and similar sports cars. I remember in the early 2000's when the market was flooded and you could pick up a used Supra for 6k, and they were kind of like a "civic". Also, take a look at the 90's 300zx's there are a lot of riced out 300zx's selling for 2-6k range, however an all original non-modded 300zx goes double to tripple that price, same with the Supra now.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:29 PM
831dbZ33

Because the Z33 wasn't expensive to begin with.. and because they made a lot and the engine is expensive to mod with hardly any gain even with FI. Just my thoughts
Old 08-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFMike
Maybe, you should consider going back to school. Your grammar is atrocious.
iLOL'd
Old 08-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Phenom
Most of us are aware of the 350z's transition into a ricer favorite over the past few years, and we can't help but notice the unfortunate following in the footsteps of the Acura integra, Honda civic, etc. As eBay parts, auto zone modifications, and wheels made in china are becoming more and more common, there's no denying that the 350 is becoming more of a graduation present rather than a respected and discontinued sports car. Why are tasteful modifications being replaced by the mindset "just plastidip it bro"?

I can't help but wonder why the now discontinued 350 doesnt look like it will be taking the path of the Toyota supra, Mazda rx7, and the Acura NSX. Cars that were able to hold their value, avoid the rice scene, and remain a respected vehicle decades later. Is it because the 350 was immediately succeeded by the 370, and many owners chose to pass on their 350 to the younger generation so they could upgrade? Or simply has not enough time passed to allow for the poorly taken care of 350s to explode or get totalled in an accident, leaving only the pristine, low-ish mileage 350s to hang around and rehabilitate the Z's reputation and value? Or was the Z just too popular of a car for this to ever happen?

Just something to think about. Any thoughts/ideas?
There's really nothing legendary about the 350Z.

/thread
Old 08-17-2012, 11:43 PM
dfresh713
Master

Originally Posted by 831dbZ33
Because the Z33 wasn't expensive to begin with.. and because they made a lot and the engine is expensive to mod with hardly any gain even with FI. Just my thoughts
Depends how deep your pockets are expensive. Compared to a Porsche 911 they are inexpensive, however new the Z cost about 10k more new to other comparable vehicle at the time.

Last edited by dfresh713; 08-17-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:53 PM
tkuntz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chebosto
it is slowly becoming very similar.

when you see that threads about showin' off replica wheels or body kits with views 2x or 3x those thread of authentic parts, you know its over.

oh well.

those that have standards will still build quality cars. at least now the platform will be easier to attain as the the chassis resell value becomes laughable.
I say delete ALL useless "replica" threads and only keep Authentic's
haha, if only!

Sadly the market is becoming more low end budget oriented as the age of these cars wear on...

Keep it real and only buy good quality to retain value!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:56 PM
freddys 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dfresh713
The 350z will probably have a U type depreciation just like the other Z's and similar sports cars. I remember in the early 2000's when the market was flooded and you could pick up a used Supra for 6k, and they were kind of like a "civic". Also, take a look at the 90's 300zx's there are a lot of riced out 300zx's selling for 2-6k range, however an all original non-modded 300zx goes double to tripple that price, same with the Supra now.
i agree with this. all tuner cars go through this phase. in the end, the untouched stock cars with low mileage will be highly desired. while there will be some good deals on well built modified cars. either way, i will always love my Z.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Houston Z33

There were too many 350Z's made for it to go the FD/Mk IV route and it had a successor but, The 350Z is not going the Civic route either simply because these cars are still a grip to fix and maintain......it's going the 240SX route.

It's "attainable" RWD Performance now and it's still a "Nice Car" - More and more 240 guys are jumping on them now because they want something newer with more power and the S Chassis is starting to climb in value thanks to the Drifting Craze back in the '00s - Everybody wrecked them all!!! Nice, clean 97/98 240's are going for the same amount as a beat 03/04 350Z.....for 7 - 8k would you rather have 155HP or 278HP?

Personally I'm building my credit with the HR 350 so I can jump on a Nismo 370 in a year or 2.

Last edited by Houston Z33; 08-19-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:16 PM
hellman_x

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dfresh713
I don't ever remember anyone selling their Supra for 6k. They went for 40k new, if I recall correctly, and they still go for 40k for one in good condition.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:17 PM
noboostzcar

Heres the deal I hate rice but a clean civic or teg still turns my head as do clean Zs. Just keep your car lookin clean and it'll always turn heads. Ricer Zs will be gone someday when all thier drivers try to tokyo drift in them and run into a tree.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:07 AM
dfresh713
Master

Originally Posted by hellman_x
I don't ever remember anyone selling their Supra for 6k. They went for 40k new, if I recall correctly, and they still go for 40k for one in good condition.
Around 2002 you could easily get a '93 or '94 all original one at that price, with about 100k on the clock (non-turbo of course). I was deciding to between a Supra, 300zx but decided to go for a newer Ford Probe GT .. which I guess were nice cars for the time.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

I will give the answer to end this thread. This answer will come in the form of 5 words.

The Fast And The Furious.

There you go. Because a Supra is no better than a 350z but simply made iconic by the movie and it's some how "special" qualities. Also, because of this the price has remained high which doesnt allow stupid *** punk teens to be able to obtain these cars and therefore commit their blaspheming acts upon it. While the 350z has succumb to depreciation. There are plenty of used 2003 Z on autotrader for $7-9K.

It's really that simple. The movie sort of created a cult around the "Supra" and the "Skyline." It has allowed the market to keep a pretty high price with these cars, not allowing for much depreciation. And having a high price is going to prevent any idiot from owning it and therefore "ricing" it.

Last edited by Nismo350z#0310; 08-18-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:09 PM
GunslingerG34

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 350Z is just going through the same depreciation curve that virtually ALL automobiles go through. Supras and RX-7's did the same thing (as have all other sports cars relative to their original price). Right now, 350's are a real performance bargain and have about bottomed out price-wise (especially the '03-'05 models). At this price level a lot of idiots are going to buy them and throw on crappy-looking body kits,etc. because they think it's "cool". Most of those same people will end up destroying those cars before it's all said and done. The 350 will hit bottom, and then the survivors will begin to appreciate. It will NEVER be an upper-end sports car, because it was never intended to be. It was meant to be a relatively affordable sports car that offered much better than average performance at a price that most upper-middle income people could afford without taking out a 2nd mortgage!! It's not supposed to compete with Ferrari and Porsche, although it does a very respectable job for the price.

Right now, the first 350Z's are just coming into the lower section of their depreciation curve, so expect the ricers to be all over them for a little while longer (until they either go back up in price, or something more trendy appears). But also realize that people with the mindset of a ricer are all about following what is currently popular. Trends change and fads fade away (thank God!!), and so will they. Over time, the 350Z will once again become something primarily coveted by real sportscar enthusiasts.

Like many here, I too blame that idiotic movie (FNF) with creating much of the current trend with the kids. But some other movie or TV show will come out and start some newer, even stupider (if that's possible) fad with the high-school crowd before long, and you'll see the ricers all go that way like the good little lemmings that they really are. And for the record, I have owned a couple of Supras. They are very nice cars, but I'll take my Z over a Supra any day!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 04:17 PM
nismoracingsx

The more people that buy them, the more 350z parts from blown up/wrecked Z's will be on the marketplace, I only see this situation as a win
Old 08-20-2012, 05:41 PM
mattleegee

Originally Posted by nismoracingsx
The more people that buy them, the more 350z parts from blown up/wrecked Z's will be on the marketplace, I only see this situation as a win
Indeed, a few years ago when i did a 240sx build it was so easy redoing the interior and picking up extra body parts, for dirt cheap
Old 08-20-2012, 09:48 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

I can't wait!

Also companies will move on from the S and onto the Z!

Quick Reply: Why is the 350z becoming a civic, rather than a Supra?