Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z vs WRX What do you think ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 10:26 AM
jasonintoronto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as seen in the latest evo magazine, the wrx is getting a facelift - different, less cartoonish, headlights (with projectors inside), clear tails (ick), and more agressive spoiler (for the sti).
Old 10-11-2002, 11:03 AM
zPilott

There is a big parking lot near my house, and a lot of ricer boys like to hang out in front of the Krispy Kreme there. Lat night, they were there as usual, and there were 5 WRXs parked there. I decided to roll by in my Z. It was pretty funny to watch 20 heads all turn in unison as I drove by.

I am sure the effect will diminish with time, but I think the Z will always turn more heads than the WRX.

That said, my next car (I do plan on keeping the Z) will probably be a WRX, an EVO, or something similar, depending on what is available in a few years.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:06 AM
Zterritory

Jigga, you should post that question in a new thread -- it's a great question but no one will see it in here, so you won't get any responses.

My Subaru dealer will chip my WRX for me and keep it under warranty. Even stock, I haven't found myself wanting for power.

Jasonintoronto, is that for the 2004 model year? I've heard that the Sti is coming over next June (2003).
Old 10-11-2002, 11:19 AM
Jeff_DML

Originally posted by TJZ
the 7 will never come here. MAYBE the 8, but i wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.
Evo VIII is coming this spring, they are showed it to dealers in Las Vegas a month ago. WRX STi is the one that hasnt been confirmed as far as I know.

As for WRX vs 350z, I think "integraowner" comment on the first page was very good. If you would keep both cars stock then go for the Z.

Jeff
Old 10-11-2002, 11:30 AM
bayarea-sunset

jigga your post seems pretty accurate except one thing the squeaks and rattle part.Most people on I-Club tend to have at least a few rattles out of there subies.Even the wrx I test drove had a rattle if yours doesnt so be it,but you are not the norm.The z is solid in terms of squeaks rattles so far theres been very few reported on this board.Oh and I like rex too but could never get over the looks and the interior that was barely better than a new civic.Decided to wait for the z ever though I could walk into my local subie dealer and buy the car for invoice on the dot.The subie does have many pluses going for it like its bad weather handling and its practicality if you get the wagon.In my case the 6000 extra was money well spent and driving the z made me feel like a 15 year old which the wrx did not.To bad its not in the cards for me to have the z and a wrx wagon because they both are great enthusiast cars.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:38 AM
S2kRob

There's nothing wrong with the WRX, it's an awesome total package, practical, fast and highly tunable. All turbo cars are easy to add big power to. Hence the reason I am waiting to see what happens with the R35 GTR.

Anyways, I don't think the WRX is particularly ugly, I think the facelifted version looks really good, and the STI is confirmed for spring 2003 introduction. The Canadian dealers are already taking orders.

With the stronger engine and transmission, this car can take 400hp no problem.

While the Z is a great sports car, it won't by any means be the fastest car for the price as soon as the WRX STi and EVO 8 arrive. But then, they aren't RWD sports cars.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:11 PM
jigga

Originally posted by bayarea-sunset
jigga your post seems pretty accurate except one thing the squeaks and rattle part.Most people on I-Club tend to have at least a few rattles out of there subies.Even the wrx I test drove had a rattle if yours doesnt so be it,but you are not the norm.The z is solid in terms of squeaks rattles so far theres been very few reported on this board.Oh and I like rex too but could never get over the looks and the interior that was barely better than a new civic.Decided to wait for the z ever though I could walk into my local subie dealer and buy the car for invoice on the dot.The subie does have many pluses going for it like its bad weather handling and its practicality if you get the wagon.In my case the 6000 extra was money well spent and driving the z made me feel like a 15 year old which the wrx did not.To bad its not in the cards for me to have the z and a wrx wagon because they both are great enthusiast cars.
I agree with you over the looks of the car. It is one of those cars where you really need order up the OEM/aftermarket bodykit in order to make the car somewhat of a 'looker'. WRT the rattling on most WRX's, the other thing to remember is that i-club's population of WRX owners do not represent the majority of WRX owners out there. With any new car, given long enough, you will have increasing numbers of people who have issues with their cars such as rattles, and other little problems that they may have been able to overlook when they first got the car. The WRX has been around for a little over a year, and your cars have not been available for to long.

Take care!
Old 10-14-2002, 03:11 AM
ATL350Z

You know, if it just had a bigger wing and hood scoop along with gaudier wheels, I might like it.

Seriously though, the civilian model is a little more pleasing to the eye, but I don't think I would ever buy one. The rally styling just does not suit me, no matter how fast this thing is or could be.

Old 10-18-2002, 03:20 PM
WRXVII

I agree on the fact that WRX is a complete package at a bargain price. Any turbo charged car has a great potential to extract much more hp out of the engine than any N/A cars.

For less than $28000, you can get a 11s WRX.

0-60 MPH in 3.3 seconds

1/8 mile in 7.674 seconds @ 91.55 MPH

1/4 mile in 11.96 seconds @ 115.12 MPH

Check out www.turboxs.com

Last edited by WRXVII; 10-18-2002 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-18-2002, 03:36 PM
ATL350Z

Originally posted by WRXVII
I agree on the fact that WRX is a complete package at a bargain price. Any turbo charged car has a great potential to extract much more hp out of the engine than any N/A cars.

For less than $28000, you can get a 11s WRX.

0-60 MPH in 3.3 seconds

1/8 mile in 7.674 seconds @ 91.55 MPH

1/4 mile in 11.96 seconds @ 115.12 MPH

Check out www.turboxs.com
Jeez, haven't we just about beat the WRX issue to death?

To make things fair, could you post how much extra it would cost to make the WRX attractive?
Old 10-18-2002, 03:50 PM
WRXVII

UK300 lights $700
Eibach Prokit springs $220
STi body kits $1200
Prodrive Rims and tires $2000

I will say more like $4000+
Attached Thumbnails 350Z vs WRX What do you think ?-10566656-36df-02000180-.jpg  
Old 10-18-2002, 04:05 PM
slim

The question is...Would it really at all be worth it in the long run?
The car still doesn't look all that nice to me. I really haevn't seen much of anything that was put on an Imprezza that make it look much better.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:52 AM
ATL350Z

The following is also quirky and unique, but you wouldn't see me driving it.

Old 10-21-2002, 04:13 AM
Phatmitzu

Thumbs up

Hi everybody, I am new in here, so go easy on me. I personally would go with the Z car. 5 quick reasons....

1) Z looks much nicer and classier

2) Z's stock V6 287 hp vs. WRX's turbo 2.0L 227hp (I drive a Eclipse GS-T, so I know wut a 2.0L turbo with no mods feels like,... blah! I sooo want to get the Z!)

3) HID is the way to go! (of course you can spend $400+ and get a HID for your WRX, but its just gonna look like a Civic with super white bulbs)

4) 6 speed vs 5 speed

5) I personally like rear wheel drive cars better, it handles better on dry grounds?
Old 10-21-2002, 09:06 AM
Rahtok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Both are Excellent cars. Here's why I chose the Z...

Ya know... there are a couple of things here that nobody has mentioned yet. The Z has a couple of things that I couldn't get on a WRX, and these were the things that finally led me to order a Z. These aren't the primary reasons I ordered the Z, they were the final niggly details that got me to feel good about bypassing the WRX. My primary reasons were all about vanity, and nothing about utility. The Z is, to my eyes, a very sexy car. If I want utility, I grab my wife's Grand Cherokee ltd.

1 - Auto climate control. Seriously. Once you've had vehicles with it, you never want to go back. They're not perfect, but it's great to not 'forget' you've turned on the heat 10 minutes into a drive and are roasting.

2 - Heated seats. Personal choice, but I like them. My wife loves them. Wife approved == more fun.

3 - Factory NAV system. I know I could aftermarket one in the WRX, but I'd rather not increase the 'target' potential of having my car busted into for the radio. With the Z, if you close the lid, the bad guys don't know if there's one in there or not.

4 - Big ol center mounted tach. That's just the way God intended it to be.

5 - Interior ergonomics. I loved the way the Z's interior just wrapped around me. I felt like the sole purpose of the Z was to make me enjoy my drive. The WRX was fun, but didn't 'involve' me like the Z did.