Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Coupe Vs. Convertible

Old 09-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Ms.350zQueen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coupe Vs. Convertible

Okay so I want to know peoples opinion on what they like better...the coupe or convertible?!?
Old 09-10-2012, 03:29 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm chiming in because I've owned & loved one of each - '04 Roadster & '03 Coupe.

Convertible is better for driving at the beach/mountains so you can enjoy the view.

Coupe is better for track use or talking on the phone while driving.

Other than that, they are both great cars and you should pick whichever one makes you happy, not base it on others' opinions.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Ms.350zQueen

Alrighty, thanks! well I own a coupe right now, but ive been wondering about the convertible. But thank you very much I appreciate it!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:38 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

If you truly are a chick (it's the interwebz, so I'm naturally suspicious), I think the convertible is a great choice for ladies. But it also depends on what type of hair you have. For example, a convertible is a waste for my wife - because she has long hair, but it is thin, and the convertible destroys any hairstyle that she tries. So keep in mind whether or not you would realistically ride around with the top down.

Post up some pics and I can probably tell you based on your hair whether or not a convertible is a good choice.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:41 PM
ksuberk54

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not trying to be sexist but.......I've always thought convertibles were for chicks and old farts.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by ksuberk54
Not trying to be sexist but.......I've always thought convertibles were for chicks and old farts.
That's what my convertible was always filled with… one old fart driving and a hot chick in the passenger seat - so I'd have to say that my data supports your opinion.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:48 PM
pss350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol @ sparkle

IMO, 350Z should be a coupe, if you want a convertible go S2000 or something similar that was born a roadster.

+ one on the pic
Old 09-10-2012, 03:53 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by pss350z
lol @ sparkle
hahaha… I had a legitimate reason for responding to the topic, but I threw in the pic request as a wingman for the single guys on here.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Ms.350zQueen

okay i have no idea how to put pics on here! But yes, I am girl and it is not a scam! But I have long thick curly hair! So I'm debating on the convertible cause I live in Texas so it is either EXTREMELY hot or kinda cold! haha
Old 09-10-2012, 04:02 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

If you're in the Houston area, definitely do not do the convertible. The humidity is way too high, and that combined with a convertible would be rough. The Dallas/Ft Worth area is a bit iffy as well for similar reasons. If you're in the San Antonio area, you might be okay. If you're in the general area around Austin, I'd definitely go with the convertible. Great views, great weather, nice temperate climate so you can use it a lot.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Ms.350zQueen

See I'm the Dallas area so I don't really wanna get it and then i don't like it! Cause I dont want any crazy, frizzy hair lol So I guess I'll just stick with my coupe! but thanks again!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:21 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Nice. And this isn't directed at you… but I was always amazed at how beautiful all of the ladies are in Dallas. It's like every female there moved to try out for the Cowboy cheerleading squad or something. Definitely an overabundance of tall, beautiful women compared to most other areas - and not like LA where they are overrun with beautiful men and women via the common practices of plastic surgery.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Ms.350zQueen

Well that's cause we're natural not fake! lol And I'm NOT saying this in a rude or mean way, I'm stating my opinion. But I have to say I agree with you!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Arvin89

I have the 04 roadster. And im male. There are some days when i wish i had the coupe, but then a drive up the sea to sky highway reminds me that nothing beats the wind in your face driving up the mountains with the ocean stretching into the horizon.

Plus same as Sparkle, girlfriend in the passenger seat, otherwise top never comes down. hahaha.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:52 PM
GunslingerG34

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove a LOT of 350Z's, both coupes and roadsters, before settling on my 04 Touring roadster. I've owned a Talon TSi awd TT and 2 supras -- and this car is WAY more fun to drive than any of them (and I'm just getting started on the mods!). It's all personal choice. I live in an area where we will only get about 2 months out of the year when it's too cold to drive with the top down, so for me it was a no-brainer. Plus the coupes are way too cramped for me. It's also not my daily driver (it's purely my weekend toy). Plus, maybe I'm just old school, but to me one of the prerquisites of being a sports car is that it has to be a rear wheel drive convertible. I grew up in a world of Triumphs, Alfas, Jags and MG-B's. Plus, remember that the Z33 was originally designed as a roadster. But the original design was shelved in favor of a coupe until the 2nd year of production.

Bottom line: Pick what YOU like best. If it's going to be a daily driver or you plan on tracking the car, I'd probably recommend a coupe. But if it's a secondary vehicle you can't beat the sheer fun factor of a drop-top!!
Old 09-11-2012, 01:41 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all,if anyone has a life's "bucket list",to own a convertible has to be on it.
As far as a 350 roadster,my negative is the looks.Some cars that were converted to
a convertible look good.With the 350,the top design ruins the overall looks of the profile of the car.The problem is the rear sides if the top.They don't flow with the lines of a car that was desined for a coupe.As I mentioned in a earlier post on this subject,a top
that had those rear areas that would extend out would make a world of difference
in the looks of the roadster.This has been done in other cars:Saturn Sky and the Pontiac
equivilent,BMW 6 Series convert.They have a "popout" feature where the top has these
"wings" that improve the design.The 370 roadster has improved on the top a bit.
From the demograhic numbers I've seen from Nissan,the roadster is by far more popular with the ladies.
If it were me,and you wanted the top down experience,buy a real sportscar like a MG
or if you are not into classics,a Miata or Honda 2000.HAS to be MT!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:54 AM
laurentj23

Stay with the coupe. The z roadster tends to have top problem. Apparently nissan designs sucks, and the top usually start tearing after the warranty wear out.

Check the roadster subforum and you will see all the issues abt the top. Other than that besides the handling, it's a great car with more to mantain.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:41 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

I personally would never buy/want a convertible sports car, so I am pro coupe.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:42 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

Convertible - Slower, automatic, looks like a grandma car. No thanks.

Coupe - Sporty, six speed manual, abundantly quicker, don't need to upgrade transmission when going to higher HP numbers.

COUPE FTW
Old 09-11-2012, 04:49 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310
Convertible - Slower, automatic, looks like a grandma car. No thanks.

Coupe - Sporty, six speed manual, abundantly quicker, don't need to upgrade transmission when going to higher HP numbers.
Sorry, I don't think that you know what you're talking about. The convertible comes in the same manual or auto selections as the coupe (mine was a 6speed manual). Since it has the exact same transmission, there is no difference when going to higher HP numbers. The convertible is slightly heavier than the coupe due to the weight of the tonneau, trunk lid, and top compared to just the roof on the coupe, but that is where the differences end. The weight differences work out to a few HP, but usually not enough to measure with most butt dynos.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coupe Vs. Convertible