Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
View Poll Results: Do you carry a spare tire in your z?
Yes, better safe than sorry.
64.46%
No, less weight~
35.54%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Do you keep the spare tire in your z?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 10:19 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccann101
Really?
So because I do feel music is a requirement. ( flat 13,also to save weight)....would it not make sense to balance your compromises in other areas by removing unnecessary items?

Cmon now lol... Ur looking at only parts of the argument.
Besides....
I think everyone here is bored and just like to post.. just to post ....I'm usually guilty as well.
Its funny what insight you gain when u stay off a computer for a week lol.
Were all grumpy here lol.
Not going to lie. I am grumpy as hell right now since I am one of the few people at work right now and it is so dead I don't understand why they don't just send us home.

Personally, although I would like to upgrade the shitty stock system, I decided I cannot get subs. My car is a street/track car now and I really do see it as extra weight that is not needed. Plus I love to hear my exhaust all the time so I usually don't even listen to music.

My whole thought on it is that a spare is pretty important, and I only take mine out when I will go to the track. I actually kept mine in on the Auto-X event since I wanted the extra weight to help the rear grip in the low speed turns.

With this in mind, I don't consider a spare tire an "unnecessary" item. Of course if you have BBK and the spare won't fit, yes then it makes sense to remove it, but if you are running stock brakes and have subs, I would keep the spare.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:26 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

Indeed not a good thing to yank on a stockish car
A cf hatch w lexan is a HUGE weight reduction.. better to do that. Albeit, its not free lol.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:38 PM
zeroaccessinc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope it's out, 305's and 265's won't fit in the trunk anyways...
Old 12-28-2012, 05:46 AM
kfoote

My 350Z is a track only car, so no spare in that.

More to the point of the thread though, for my daily driver, I have 2 sets of wheels, one for summer tires and one for snow tires. I have removed the space saver spare, and keep one of the full size wheels that's not in the car on it. As a general concept, I am not a fan of the space saver wheels and tires, but I absolutely carry a spare in my daily driver.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:03 PM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by andre12031948
No spare tire. I keep a little monkey there...
good one.

I keep the weight down by staying thin my Z is a daily driver so the spare must stay. It only takes ONE little problem on ONE stupid day to wish you had that spare onboard. However I do think a can of sealant (fix-a-flat) would work in 90% of the tire issues I've had in my lifetime, since its normally just a nail, or screw you've picked up.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:29 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,594 Likes on 2,051 Posts

Fix a flat & TPMS is a no no.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I always keep a good spare on board. I drive far enough (and far away enough) so that I never want to be anywhere where I cannot mount a spare tire.

--Spike
Old 01-01-2013, 04:29 PM
MackinzeeBarnes

Actually, a few years ago, I had subwoofers installed in the back, and they were so deep that they actually took the spare out completely. So far, I've had pretty good luck with not needed the spare, however, I always carry a can on Fix-A-Flat
Attached Thumbnails Do you keep the spare tire in your z?-system.jpg  
Old 01-01-2013, 04:53 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

http://accuratecars.com/blog/2008/08...of-fix-a-flat/

First of all, my disclaimer….I have no vendetta against the manufacturer of Fix-a-Flat. Furthermore, I will also remind our readers that the manufacturer of this product does not recommend the use of Fix-a-Flat in vehicles equipped with Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) and they also market this product as a temporary remedy to be used in emergency situations.

With that said, At Accurate Cars and Automotive, our Service Department specializes exclusively in Honda and Acura automobiles. All of our service technicians are former franchised Honda and Acura dealership technicians in and around the Nashville and Middle Tennessee Region. In our Service Department, we perform all types of maintenance and repair on Honda and Acura automobiles. This maintenance and repair includes, but is not limited to, major engine overhauls, transmission replacement, brake system repairs (including ABS), A/C Repair and tire / alignment issues.

For over eleven years, our technical staff has warned our valued customers against the use of this product in their Honda and Acura automobiles.

First, Fix-A-Flat is flammable. There is a risk of a flash fire when a service technician breaks the old tire down to install a new tire on the wheel. If you have put this product in one of your tires, be sure to tell the service technician when you go to have new tires installed.

fix a flat 2Second, this product leaves a liquid residue in the bottom of the tire. This puddle of liquid prevents the tire from staying balanced. You cannot balance a tire that has Fix-A-Flat in it.

Third, Fix-A-Flat has deteriorating and corrosive effects on the wheel (especially alloy rims), the inside of the tire, and the Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor.

If you feel that an emergency tire inflator is needed in your vehicle, then let me recommend the purchase a 12 volt air compressor that you can plug into the power port / cigarette lighter of your vehicle. This type of compressor, which can be purchased for around $30.00, is capable of inflating a tire to 32 psi and is compact enough that it will easily store in the trunk of your Honda or Acura automobile.

About the photos: The two photographs show the damage that results from using Fix-A-Flat with late model Honda and Acura automobiles . The top photo shows the damage to the Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor. The sensor in the front is the original sensor and it is trash. The one behind it is the new replacement. The lower photo was taken to show the corrosion to the alloy wheel. As you can see in the lower photo, our Service Department had already installed the new Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor on the wheel. This wheel is from a 2005 Acura RL with 30,000 miles on it. The actual amount of time the wheel and sensor were exposed to the Fix-A-Flat is unknown.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:08 PM
MackinzeeBarnes

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
http://accuratecars.com/blog/2008/08...of-fix-a-flat/

First of all, my disclaimer….I have no vendetta against the manufacturer of Fix-a-Flat. Furthermore, I will also remind our readers that the manufacturer of this product does not recommend the use of Fix-a-Flat in vehicles equipped with Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) and they also market this product as a temporary remedy to be used in emergency situations.

With that said, At Accurate Cars and Automotive, our Service Department specializes exclusively in Honda and Acura automobiles. All of our service technicians are former franchised Honda and Acura dealership technicians in and around the Nashville and Middle Tennessee Region. In our Service Department, we perform all types of maintenance and repair on Honda and Acura automobiles. This maintenance and repair includes, but is not limited to, major engine overhauls, transmission replacement, brake system repairs (including ABS), A/C Repair and tire / alignment issues.

For over eleven years, our technical staff has warned our valued customers against the use of this product in their Honda and Acura automobiles.

First, Fix-A-Flat is flammable. There is a risk of a flash fire when a service technician breaks the old tire down to install a new tire on the wheel. If you have put this product in one of your tires, be sure to tell the service technician when you go to have new tires installed.

fix a flat 2Second, this product leaves a liquid residue in the bottom of the tire. This puddle of liquid prevents the tire from staying balanced. You cannot balance a tire that has Fix-A-Flat in it.

Third, Fix-A-Flat has deteriorating and corrosive effects on the wheel (especially alloy rims), the inside of the tire, and the Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor.

If you feel that an emergency tire inflator is needed in your vehicle, then let me recommend the purchase a 12 volt air compressor that you can plug into the power port / cigarette lighter of your vehicle. This type of compressor, which can be purchased for around $30.00, is capable of inflating a tire to 32 psi and is compact enough that it will easily store in the trunk of your Honda or Acura automobile.

About the photos: The two photographs show the damage that results from using Fix-A-Flat with late model Honda and Acura automobiles . The top photo shows the damage to the Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor. The sensor in the front is the original sensor and it is trash. The one behind it is the new replacement. The lower photo was taken to show the corrosion to the alloy wheel. As you can see in the lower photo, our Service Department had already installed the new Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor on the wheel. This wheel is from a 2005 Acura RL with 30,000 miles on it. The actual amount of time the wheel and sensor were exposed to the Fix-A-Flat is unknown.
If you have no spare tire, how is a compressor going to help a blown tire?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:16 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

He is suggesting using a compressor instead of fix a flat.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:48 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by MackinzeeBarnes
If you have no spare tire, how is a compressor going to help a blown tire?
I got a nail in my tire and with a tire repair kit and compressor I fixed it myself. Drove on it until the tread wore out.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:05 PM
haphazardx

+1 sub in trunk. http://www.customradiobuffalo.com/20...-audio-system/
Old 01-02-2013, 02:16 PM
P&K350Z

Nope, no spare tire. Would not fit over the brakes anyway. That and the back is gutted anyway.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Kuhan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I have a 370 Z spare wheel, it clears my bbk.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

e30cabrio is correct about the mobile air compressor. Buy a good one. I’m amazed at how well and quickly this gadget will fill a tire with even a visible tear/hole.

--Spike
Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Toasterflyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andy11466
Just wondering, do you guys care to bring a spare tire, or would you rather have that weight off?
I have taken the spare tire out noticed quite a difference in how the car drives.
I like it without the spare in the car. I have driven the car for about 3weeks straight without the spare, knowing I wasn't going to be more the 7miles from home at any given point. If I ended up with a flat I would call AAA and flatbed her to home. Come this Spring I think I will make more of a habit to take the
spare out depending on where I am going.

Rich
Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 AM
JGYMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

i think of my car as a street bike... no spare, no cage, no luxuries! haha

Andrew@JGY

Last edited by JGYMotorsports; 01-04-2013 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:36 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

All those who keep mentioning AAA.. I don't know about you guys, but I don't like it when other people touch my car, including for towing. Plus, that's a lot of time just waiting for some apathetic low-wage earner to show up, then wait some more for my car to be put on the flatbed, and then waste more time towing it somewhere.

I'd rather spend 15 minutes changing to a spare then drive home so I can address the tire issue, but that's just me.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
All those who keep mentioning AAA.. I don't know about you guys, but I don't like it when other people touch my car, including for towing. Plus, that's a lot of time just waiting for some apathetic low-wage earner to show up, then wait some more for my car to be put on the flatbed, and then waste more time towing it somewhere.

I'd rather spend 15 minutes changing to a spare then drive home so I can address the tire issue, but that's just me.
I agree. I also think being able to feel the difference from removing a spare is up there with feeling the 3hp gained by a bolt on.

Quick Reply: Do you keep the spare tire in your z?