Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

What tuning for procharged 2003 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:10 AM
sparticus213

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tuning for procharged 2003 350z?

Hey im looking to get some input on tuning for my new pro charger that im getting on next week. I wanted to go with twins but im getting this full kit barely used for 1000 miles INSTALLED for 2500 buck so i couldnt pass it up. i heard that the stock piggy back that come with the kit isnt so good so im looking for other tuning options. I live in Salt Lake City and there is a place called import auto clinic that does up rev tuning would that be my best bet. if anyone has recommendations for someone close that would also be appreciated. ill try and upload some pics of the z later
Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 AM
06z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also go with uprev...In my opinion if you're not going to make over 400whp or around that uprev is more than fine. For the HR motors it can make upwards of 500whp and run fine. I wouldnt go with any crazy expensive ecu for a procharger. I also have uprev on my turbonetics kit and its all been ok.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:53 PM
HanoverZ

Originally Posted by 06z33
I would also go with uprev...In my opinion if you're not going to make over 400whp or around that uprev is more than fine. For the HR motors it can make upwards of 500whp and run fine. I wouldnt go with any crazy expensive ecu for a procharger. I also have uprev on my turbonetics kit and its all been ok.
I thought that UpRev could go a lot higher than 400 on a DE?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 PM
UpAtSevenFive

Originally Posted by HanoverZ
I thought that UpRev could go a lot higher than 400 on a DE?
The MAF sensor will max out toward 450 on the DE.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Phillip_G35

Originally Posted by UpAtSevenFive
The MAF sensor will max out toward 450 on the DE.
Uprev Osiris will go just fine 400+....Just need to upgrade the Maf sensor to the Uprev Maf GT
Old 01-29-2013, 08:01 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My 2cents is I doubt you will get over 400whp A. with the procharger, B. in SLC (at what 5500ft) no matter what tuning you use…

I say this, because I lived in downtown SLC about 2 years ago, also have the procharger, also on a DE block…

Ultimately, with the DE and the procharger you are limited to how much boost you can make. Unless you've done tricks to your gearing and/or your crank pulley (which you can, I make 12psi) I am thinking you can get 9psi max out the kit - which will put you right at 400whp.

With that being said, Procharger is very simple and their FMU is good enough up to the 400whp mark. You can spend the money on Osiris or Utec but there is no reason to drop the FMU and the secondary fuel pump…they were designed specifically for the application.

Whatever you do, YOU MUST DYNO TUNE!! do not attempt to tune without a dyno…you will pop your engine…spend the $100...mark my words!

I went to Peak Performance and although they were expensive, they had my best interest and fixed my problems. I don't know what type of tuning (if any) they do.

Last edited by bealljk; 01-29-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:47 AM
06z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right, you'll need to upgrade the MAF after around 400-450ish forgot to mention that. But I meant with just the power he'll be making I dont think he would need anything crazy like a haltech or hks or w/e the case is. Most shops dyno tune with uprev for 600, cant go wrong IMO
Old 01-30-2013, 07:06 AM
Phillip_G35

Yea, I don't know what goals OP have with the procharger, thinking he is going stock block, this should work fine 350-375whp (safe setup). I would said, go Uprev and wiith that HP you don't need to replace the oem maf sensor.

Last edited by Phillip_G35; 01-30-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 AM
sparticus213

thanks for your advice guys!! ill look into the up rev MAF i have 90k on stock block but it runs great and i am planning on building the motor but this summer when i got more money and im not in school so for now stock block. i do have full ss exhasust 2.5 into 3 and plenum spacer im not sure if there are any motor mods the guy i bought it from did a **** ton of stuff to it like rims cool air carbon fiber ram air intake, nosmo cold air, suspension lowered but i dont think its ever been tuned. I know that Utec is older but which one is better for FI, im planning on buying one because if the pro chrager doesnt give me the kick in the pants that i want then im going to do a big single. but for now yea ill be under 400whp im sure.. from what ive read you run into pulley and belt problems running anything above 9psi with the procharger, although ive heard they are making a bracket now that helps .
so Utec or uprev for FI and what are there limits? ( if i endup with a big single)
Old 01-30-2013, 08:18 AM
sparticus213

Originally Posted by bealljk
My 2cents is I doubt you will get over 400whp A. with the procharger, B. in SLC (at what 5500ft) no matter what tuning you use…

I say this, because I lived in downtown SLC about 2 years ago, also have the procharger, also on a DE block…

Ultimately, with the DE and the procharger you are limited to how much boost you can make. Unless you've done tricks to your gearing and/or your crank pulley (which you can, I make 12psi) I am thinking you can get 9psi max out the kit - which will put you right at 400whp.

With that being said, Procharger is very simple and their FMU is good enough up to the 400whp mark. You can spend the money on Osiris or Utec but there is no reason to drop the FMU and the secondary fuel pump…they were designed specifically for the application.

Whatever you do, YOU MUST DYNO TUNE!! do not attempt to tune without a dyno…you will pop your engine…spend the $100...mark my words!

I went to Peak Performance and although they were expensive, they had my best interest and fixed my problems. I don't know what type of tuning (if any) they do.
ive just heard that people didnt get the full potential out of their kit with the fmu? what power did you make with your car in SLC? haha and i m curious about what crank mods you can do nothing wrong with boosting 12 psi
Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 AM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by sparticus213
thanks for your advice guys!! ill look into the up rev MAF i have 90k on stock block but it runs great and i am planning on building the motor but this summer when i got more money and im not in school so for now stock block. i do have full ss exhasust 2.5 into 3 and plenum spacer im not sure if there are any motor mods the guy i bought it from did a **** ton of stuff to it like rims cool air carbon fiber ram air intake, nosmo cold air, suspension lowered but i dont think its ever been tuned. I know that Utec is older but which one is better for FI, im planning on buying one because if the pro chrager doesnt give me the kick in the pants that i want then im going to do a big single. but for now yea ill be under 400whp im sure.. from what ive read you run into pulley and belt problems running anything above 9psi with the procharger, although ive heard they are making a bracket now that helps .
so Utec or uprev for FI and what are there limits? ( if i endup with a big single)
OP if your going to drop 2500 on an SC just to move onto a turbo is a waste.
svae your money and get the kit you want.

ive just heard that people didnt get the full potential out of their kit with the fmu? what power did you make with your car in SLC? haha and i m curious about what crank mods you can do nothing wrong with boosting 12 psi
What is considered full potential? there are many factors that go into tuning and they can affect numbers on dynos easily.

only thing you need to make more power with an sc is a 2.87 crank pulley, i think that brings you to 12 psi, op if your looking to run that build the engine first to ready it for more power.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 AM
sparticus213

you got a point Stuart haha but remember im getting a almost new turn key kit with with everything installed plus upgraded pulleys for 2500 thats a steal no matter if i decide to keep it or not and lets be honest i might be satistfied at 400whp who knows... probably not but when i got 10g's for a motor build and a nice turbo kit ill for sure do that i just dont know if ill blow my stock motor running 12 psi
Old 01-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Phillip_G35

you got a point Stuart haha but remember im getting a almost new turn key kit with with everything installed plus upgraded pulleys for 2500 thats a steal no matter if i decide to keep it or not and lets be honest i might be satistfied at 400whp who knows... probably not but when i got 10g's for a motor build and a nice turbo kit ill for sure do that i just dont know if ill blow my stock motor running 12 psi
Go 375-385whp bro...enjoy the fun of FI, at a ridiculous low cost and keep saving for the real deal build!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:10 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you think that until you start breaking belts at way less than 400whp

Old 01-30-2013, 04:30 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sparticus213, get a good tuning by a good reputable shop and let them give you guidance to how to protect the engine. Enjoy it without all the boosting. Post #11 made a good point about the crank pulley. A good lightweight pulley like a jwt is just another thought help with a little uuffff. But then a list could go on and on and on like a heavy clutch, oil cooler, koyo duel core radiator, nismo thermostat, cams, on and on and on. Some items to protect other areas of the car, some for just a little more hp. All in all, as anybody can tell you. The more mods added the more hp and the more safety. But always think safety first. I almost went pro charger, then went the Vortech route, but added a lot more little things to protect other areas of the car and also for a little extra hp. Again it sounds like you have a good deal going, just do it the safe way and don't forget to think additionally about the clutch, protecting the transmission, keeping the temperature down water and oil, cams, etc. to keep the whole car running good and strong. And most of all: "
Enjoy the FI"

Note: Very nice picture "bealljk". I enjoy looking at those type of shots.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:01 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I've never really heard that - but not saying no on has ever said that…it's a basic tuning device…that's it, nothing more nothing less...

I made 375whp in Colorado at 6600 ft above sea level…never dyno'd in SLC, though...

I added the ATI (not related to Procharger, strangely) harmonic crank pulley…it's a smaller diameter which turns the blower quicker...

almost new turn key kit with with everything installed plus upgraded pulleys for 2500 thats a steal no matter if i decide to keep it or not and lets be honest i might be satistfied at 400whp who knows... probably not but when i got 10g's for a motor build and a nice turbo kit ill for sure do that i just dont know if ill blow my stock motor running 12 psi
Go with the procharger…it's sweet, pretty unique, looks good and will get just about the most you can out of a stock block. And when you got turbo you can sell it for +/-$3000(assuming its a complete kit). I just sold mine for over $3000 bc I am going twin turbo to get the most out of my built block +/-650whp…look for my build thread - it'll be in picking up speed now that I'll have some cash to buy a handful of other mods.

I spent $12k on my built block 'all in' didnt include any FI systems (as I re-geared the blower), I didnt have the capacity/resource to install myself so that was another $1500 and maybe another 1000 in tuning. Plan on $17k to $20k. Wish I was joking...

Originally Posted by Phillip_G35
Go 375-385whp bro...enjoy the fun of FI, at a ridiculous low cost and keep saving for the real deal build!!!
This…stay under 400whp and the block will stay healthy.

Originally Posted by WSchli1672
Note: Very nice picture "bealljk". I enjoy looking at those type of shots.
iphone 3s from my balcony in SLC, most likely ****-faced…ironically the state that has the worst liquor laws is the same state I drank the most in…I love SLC I'm non-LDS and have nothing against them! They're very good people - won't steal your ****…but colorado was calling my name...