Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Manual Owners - What's your driving position?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Rex08Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Owners - What's your driving position?

The reason I ask is that I've been hard pressed to find a seat position to use permanently, I'm always tinkering with it. For instance, some of you have Z's that only have a traditional drivers seat with not much adjustment, but I have a seat that moves back and forth, has an adjustable back, bottom, and the seat even tilts up and down. Keep in mind the steering wheel also tilts. When changing the position of all of these things, the seat becomes awfully difficult to get comfortable in. I also have the opinion that because the clutch is so recessed when pushed to the floor, I need to sit TOO close to the steering wheel. Then factor in that if I'm wearing a jacket in the car for the winter, I have to adjust the seat for that, and if I change my SHOES, I have to adjust the seat's distance to the clutch again. I'm 5'9" and I sit with my arms bent a lot because the wheel is closer than I'd like, but I am close enough to the pedals to have good strength to hold the clutch down at lights or when shifting.

How do you guys cope? Do you keep the stock seat and work at finding a good position? Do you say "F*** IT" and buy a better sport seat, or do you just not care how you sit, regardless of how uncomfortable, or how much control and vision you have in the Z?

TL;DR version:
I sit closer to the steering wheel so I can use the clutch more easily, what about you?

Last edited by Rex08Z; 02-02-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:09 AM

Sitting, hands on the wheel, eyes forward. Or was this a question on sex positions?
Old 02-02-2013, 11:21 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

OP must have short legs.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Rex08Z

Originally Posted by 122554
Sitting, hands on the wheel, eyes forward. Or was this a question on sex positions?
You must think you're so clever. I take it you don't have one of the highly adjustable seats since you obviously just get in and don't have to worry about how you sit, and since you didn't mention the pedals, I doubt you own a 6 speed. Driving position is very important, it deals with controlling the car, reducing fatigue on the driver...hell, I changed the seat a tiny bit one day and my right foot started cramping on the accelerator. This stuff is important.

Last edited by Rex08Z; 02-02-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Does OP want us to measure how close we are to the wheel? Just put your shoulder back into the seat, and if your wrist can comfortably rest on top of the steering wheel, you are good.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Rex08Z

Originally Posted by Emski
Does OP want us to measure how close we are to the wheel? Just put your shoulder back into the seat, and if your wrist can comfortably rest on top of the steering wheel, you are good.
There's a lot of thought to be put into where your shoulder sits on the seat too. Notice that sport seats are contoured and if your shoulder is at the wrong height, it can restrict your arms movement when shifting or turning the wheel. It can also negatively affect our backs. I swear this stuff drives me nuts some days. But instead of just getting a non adjustable seat(which i may do), I feel like the seat has this many adjustments for a reason, and this thread is my shot at understanding why and how depending on what others may say.

Edit - Even an indifferent opinion like Mr. Numbers up there can serve to show that I shouldn't care how much the adjustments affect me.

Last edited by Rex08Z; 02-02-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:27 PM
DFW Adrenaline

#first world problems lol
Old 02-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Iono man. I believe that's a personal problem.

Just sit, and get used to it. Quit changing positions up cuz you'll never get satisfied.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:49 PM
jtbinvalrico

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume your clutch setup is stock, like mine. I'd begin by seriously considering the RJM clutch bracket mod that many of us have installed here. It allows you to change the amount of force necessary to depress the clutch pedal and the engagement point. It will address the leg fatigue associated with the clutch pedal. Doesn't cost too much, it will dramatically change your MT driving experience, and it may affect the seat-position considerations you have.

I have my "default" seating position, which is with shoes on. I'm 5-11. I set it so that my knee is still slightly bent at full clutch depression. I agree that the clutch can feel somewhat deep when all the way in. The only adjustment I ever make is to quickly bump the seat forward when wearing sandals. I don't mess with the rest because there's no need to - there's really not much of a winter coat issue here in Florida.

If you need to move the seat closer for pedal access, consider angling the seat back a bit to give your arms more room.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Rex08Z

Originally Posted by DFW Adrenaline
#first world problems lol
This isn't a world problems forum. Would you rather talk about the solution to world peace than Z cars? You can technically do both anyway.

Originally Posted by jtbinvalrico
I assume your clutch setup is stock, like mine. I'd begin by seriously considering the RJM clutch bracket mod that many of us have installed here. It allows you to change the amount of force necessary to depress the clutch pedal and the engagement point. It will address the leg fatigue associated with the clutch pedal. Doesn't cost too much, it will dramatically change your MT driving experience, and it may affect the seat-position considerations you have.

I have my "default" seating position, which is with shoes on. I'm 5-11. I set it so that my knee is still slightly bent at full clutch depression. I agree that the clutch can feel somewhat deep when all the way in. The only adjustment I ever make is to quickly bump the seat forward when wearing sandals. I don't mess with the rest because there's no need to - there's really not much of a winter coat issue here in Florida.

If you need to move the seat closer for pedal access, consider angling the seat back a bit to give your arms more room.
I am considering the clutch bracket which I believe will change things for the better. It still won't change seating position much because I still have the clutch to the floor when shifting. I also make sure my knee is bent slightly and it's a good idea to lean the seat back. Too much lean will cause issues in seeing the mirrors or the eyesight on the road. It's all about the sweet spot, but the seat cushion height and tilt adjustment make it so difficult to find it.

Last edited by Rex08Z; 02-02-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Rex most of your problem seems to stem from the nature of the Z’s clutch’s high engagement point. Like most cars the Z has an ignition interlock switch. In order to start the engine, the clutch pedal must be pushed all the way to the floor to activate this switch. However, once this chore is out of the way, you only need to push the pedal down an inch or so past the disengagement point to shift gears or for momentary pauses at stop signs etc.

Many people have installed pedal stops for this, and have moved the interlock switch up to accommodate. My dad used to fabricate stops for a wide variety of cars in his shop. Less inspired, lazy people like me have just learned the sweet spot of pedal travel.

As far of the prudence of this, look up how the geometry of the pressure plate and its spring work. Basically once the clutch disk is disengaged and free, the diaphragm spring goes to an over centered position. Any further pushing on the pedal won’t disengage it more.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Rex08Z

That's very good advice, Jennifer. While I'm not crazy about using a pedal stop as a solution, the best way to deal with the clutch is learn exactly how it works. I imagine an RJM bracket combined with a pedal stop, and moved interlock switch, shifting the transmission would become a lot easier. Then I could worry less about how I'm sitting. I'll definitely think about it.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:44 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
OP must have short legs.
or T-Rex arms.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Rex08Z

Originally Posted by stuartc323
or T-Rex arms.
That's not why I chose the name Rex, but before I knew it I'd already acquired a dinosaur avatar....maybe I should upload it here.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:16 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by stuartc323
or T-Rex arms.
Originally Posted by Rex08Z
That's not why I chose the name Rex, but before I knew it I'd already acquired a dinosaur avatar....maybe I should upload it here.
wasnt a play on words.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:09 AM
RJM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rex08z as mentioned before my adjustable pedal system will definitely help you out with less driver fatigue and overall increased enjoyment of vehicle thru the many benfits of the adjustable pedal geometry (AFP system) AND it already has a fully adjustable bottom stop as part of the design on all 350Z kits so there's no additional stops to coble together afterwards.

Best Regards,
Ryan @ RJM

Last edited by RJM Performance; 02-03-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Steve Lazarus

Not to sound rude, might want to consider an automatic, possibly a different car altogether? I've never, I mean NEVER, thought about the "effort" it's taking to roll through gears. I've driven manual cars all my life, and to be honest, none have been "comfortable"' or carefree when it comes to driving. If I'm looking for a comfortable ride, I'll jump in my Explorer, if I feel like zipping around and working on my drifting (which really needs work), or getting challenged to a race, I'll take the "Z". Must be the HKS exhaust I bought from Escobar or something...lol
Old 02-03-2013, 04:22 PM
kellam

SPARCO milano in my car. No issues. Stock seats were just as nice. Stop overthinking it and drive. When I get weird in my seat I go drifting. You will find the right spot like that.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Sit where you are comfortable. That's everything you need to know.

--Spike
Old 02-03-2013, 05:54 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Not to be rude or insensitive, but you have short arms or legs!

At 5'9 you should be one seat position from max and the recliner is whatever your taste?

Quick Reply: Manual Owners - What's your driving position?