2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Idiot lights staying on

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Strand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idiot lights staying on

Hi all,

I have an '04 350Z touring with 1400 miles on it. Yesterday I left it idling for 15 minutes while held up in a line. When I returned to the car I found the following lights on the dash stuck on: ABS, brake, VCD off, SLIP and something else. This was with the car running all of these lights came on.

I turned the car off and restarted it and after 30 seconds or so of driving all the lights came back on again.

I let the car sit for 30 minutes and drove it again and the lights did not come back.

Prior to this I had the VCD off and was sliding the tail around some turns and the SLIP light came on and stayed on and when I hit the VCD button it didn't turn the lights off.

I dread taking the car into the dealer already for a problem like this that they possibly could not reproduce. I don't want them ripping the dash out of my brand new car tracing wires or anything.

Is this a common problem? I couldn't find anything in my searches.

Thanks for any input,
Greg
Old 01-21-2004, 11:08 AM
LBSOHK

i had similar experience , few of the lights came on while i was driving on a highway , took it to the dealership - they couldnt reproduce it , happened to me again - again they couldnt duplicate the problem...
when you do some 360º your slip ligh will come on and stay on , it should turn off once you turn off your engine and start it again...
Old 01-21-2004, 05:44 PM
commasense

I don't think sliding the tail around will do that. I've been driving the Z on track since December 2002, and have gotten sideways plenty of times without turning on any lights. I haven't done a 360, though.

Take it to the dealer. They won't have to tear out any wires. The car is completely computer controlled. There's a whole series of procedures for resetting thos lights that involves turning the ignition and other switches on and off at timed intervals. They should be able to look it up and fix it without opening the hood, maybe even while you wait.

Or someone here with the service manual may be able to find it and post it for you.