Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How far do you park?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
lol, well i cannot help that is the race of people who ALWAYS park near me.no respect i suppose.

and i don't shop at walmart, im a Target kind of guy. Besides my car is not for show.
Yea, because whenever they see your car, they automatically think "that's Dr. V's car, I'm going to park right next to him"
Old 04-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Years ago many cars had color coordinated rubber side moldings, running the length of the car’s side as a styling feature. Although they were just as tacky as the chrome strips on the previous generation of cars, they did serve a purpose as a great dent preventer.

My dad used to utilize some of the wider variants of these things for a temporary parking solution for his customers with custom body/paint cars. He hollowed out pockets in the molding to place strong magnets, and then attached soft foam or microfiber to the car side of the molding. Parking in a dodgy area, just pull out the molding and set it in place on the most vulnerable part of the door. When leaving just pop them off and enjoy a dent free car.

You could easily make up a set for your Z and keep them behind the seats. Trim the front of the molding to a point and at the rear area of the door, chamfer the edge like factory style. If you want them to be more stealthy, paint the molding body color with vinyl paint.

You can even buy some universal big squishy ones (goggle car door defender). Although some of them may make you look like such a fussy, finicky, nerd, that they will probably make people redouble their efforts to bang up your car.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:45 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
Years ago many cars had color coordinated rubber side moldings, running the length of the car’s side as a styling feature. Although they were just as tacky as the chrome strips on the previous generation of cars, they did serve a purpose as a great dent preventer.
Many cars also had black rubber bumpers, but they don't look good. That's why little taps on bumpers are now so expensive to fix!
Old 05-01-2013, 04:54 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Syner
Yea, because whenever they see your car, they automatically think "that's Dr. V's car, I'm going to park right next to him"
no its more like NJ has become fluttered with them.

but on Jennifer2's post vehicle did away with all of them cosmetic dent preventions because of wind resistance, and the ease of repair these days.

best car i've ever had was my 1987 bmw 325is.......was like a tank!

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 05-01-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:32 AM
HK350 Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I usually park in the furthest, I never park next to older vehicles and if I am running in for 2 minutes you best believe I will take the TWO furthest spots in the lot.Hope they can get away quickly messing with my car before I get outside and pull my Glock 27 and let off.

I have had 2+ years dent free on my daily Z and plan to keep it that way...
Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Destroyeron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah70
Lol +++1. I park the farthest I can and I always take up two spots because for some reason hicks with their pickup trucks like parking near me. I also try to take up two spaces near a curb so it leaves no room for anyone else to park next to me.
I park next to *******s like you on purpose, whether I'm in a space or not. Especially when I'm driving my beater around.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:25 AM
silva92

Originally Posted by jv350z
Same. Now I just gravitate to corner spots. Only one side exposed; the side with the dings.
My passenger side is full of dents. Lol driver side mint. I figure if I dont see em im fine
Old 05-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Syner

Originally Posted by Destroyeron
I park next to *******s like you on purpose, whether I'm in a space or not. Especially when I'm driving my beater around.

A lot of people (including me) hunt out guys like that. But he "copied" a friend, so it's all good...

Last edited by Syner; 05-01-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

A guy at my old job used to park his V6 mustang so that it took up 4 spots, I $hit you not. And not in a remote part of the lot either. All of the adjacent spots to his 4 would end up being used.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Moussa93

I park with other cars ~ Don't need the extra attention
Old 05-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Syner

Originally Posted by Phenom
A guy at my old job used to park his V6 mustang so that it took up 4 spots, I $hit you not. And not in a remote part of the lot either. All of the adjacent spots to his 4 would end up being used.
Minor correction...

V8 = Mustang
V6 = Donkey
Old 05-01-2013, 02:46 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by syner
minor correction...

V8 = mustang
v6 = donkey
lmfao ^
Old 05-01-2013, 03:07 PM
J 0 K 3 R

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my #1 rule is to avoid hondas by all costs. you know those people that pretty much crash into the back of a car in a spot and just park it with their plate contacting the car in front of them, the last two cars i saw like that were hondas.
i had to stop parking in my apt complex lot because its side to side parking and the 6 out of 8 of the tenants drive total pos's (a purple ford taurus with its bumpers hanging off always parks near me). now i park my giant dented offroad truck in the lot and have the z parallel parked out on a side street in front of my apt. and im renting a garage down the street for my camaro.
two years of ownership, not one single ding or scratch.

Last edited by J 0 K 3 R; 05-01-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:06 AM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I park as far away as possible.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:23 PM
J 0 K 3 R

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this what im talking about with the parking at my apt. WTF. there are only 8 people in my complex and they never park in the same spot. so i gave up.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:37 AM
keniff536

I always park far away, but it doesn't seem to help. In this pic, I parked in the back of the lot in the corner. You can tell I'm in the back because this red truck with a trailer parked there AFTER me. At least he was nice enough to leave a space between us. THEN unbelievably a lady parked her blue Honda between us.
Attached Thumbnails How far do you park?-parking-1.jpg  
Old 05-19-2013, 01:29 PM
guitar_rockin

Originally Posted by GreyZ33Track
I am a manager at walmart, I park out far and check on it every couple hours to protect it from rogue shopping carts..lol The worst is when it rains, people just leave their carts wherever and you never know where they are going to roll.
I'm a manager at a Walmart as well, we are a smaller store and have this small parking area behind our garden center, nobody ever parks there. It also has a great camera shot pointing down on it, the cameras can't see squat at the end of the parking lot, so at least if something does happen to it or someone messes with it I have it on video.

But, beware rouge plant racks. About two weeks after I got the car, we unloaded a plant truck and someone put the racks behind the fence of the GC, about 25 yards away from where I park. One of the plant racks got loose and slowly rolled down by my car, didn't hit it though, just went right in front of it. Then like it was possessed, it rolls back up a slight incline, gets a running start and bang, right into the front fender. I was able to buff out the scratches but it did take a little paint off above the wheel. I was so pissed, I parked there to avoid people and it was a damn plant rack that got me. I make sure the rack are secured now so that doesn't happen again. I've got it on video, I'll have to post it when I get a chance.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:05 PM
logan09

My friend posted this on my fb the other day

This guy deserves his valve stems unscrewed and a nice scratch in that paint
How far do you park?-8pnermw.jpg
Old 05-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Slyguy_38

I always park at the end of the lot when/where I can. So, yesterday the mrs and I were at the movies. I park at the end of the lot.

Walk out from the theatre and some douche backs his bent and bashed in work truck within a few microns of my custom front license plate. As I look closer, his registration expired 6 months ago.

WTF does a guy who cares about his ride gotta do to protect it from these morons?!?

Ugh
Old 05-20-2013, 12:00 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by Slyguy_38
I always park at the end of the lot when/where I can. So, yesterday the mrs and I were at the movies. I park at the end of the lot.

Walk out from the theatre and some douche backs his bent and bashed in work truck within a few microns of my custom front license plate. As I look closer, his registration expired 6 months ago.

WTF does a guy who cares about his ride gotta do to protect it from these morons?!?

Ugh

Honestly i park in the back and try to be subtle about my reasons for parking there. I always remember the license plate numbers (fairly easy in Nevada, they make everything out here for retards) of the people who park next to me and if i see a dent and it looks like it could be from the door, the car next to me gets a permanant footprint.

Quick Reply: How far do you park?