Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How far do you park?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 PM
MadCow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How far do you park?

I noticed my car is surrounded when I came out of the gym. How much farther do I have to park?

How far do you park?-2013-0425.jpg
Old 04-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Don't like it? Don't use parking lots.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:43 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I usually park in the far reaches of the parking lot and my experience is similar to you. I park where there is no one and when I return to my car, there is usually a car or two parked nearby. I don't understand...........
Old 04-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Cody750

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i park in the back of the lot too, no matter where you park some a hole will for some reason think they must park by you
Old 04-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Hornlesscow

same boat!!! i park very far away at least 10 spaces from the nearest car and next thing i know a dooshbayg in some beat down car is parked next to mine!! if its a nice MB or BMW i wouldnt mind because at least they would know better!! no to get off topic but i once drove my dealerships e350 to target and i parked far away and some ****ing drunk black dude parked RIGHT in front of me and bumped into the bumper. no damage or scratch but he gets out of the car and immediatly starts sluuring "i din do nuthin" needless to say i gave his taurus a complementary racing stripe, not that it made a diff on his car anyway. i didnt care about the e350 its not even my car, his attitude pissed me off
Old 04-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

MadCow look at those two SUVs on either side your Z, both drivers backed in to their stall. In my experience back-in parkers tend to be better drivers, with extra ‘car savvy’. These people are more aware of space constraints and are less likely to bang your car with their door.

Consider joining the club of excellent drivers, and unless you need to load something big in the trunk, back in.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Hornlesscow

Originally Posted by Syner
Don't like it? Don't use parking lots.
dont like the topic? dont post. and your right next time ill park in the building
Old 04-25-2013, 01:25 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Same crap happens to me. That is why I try to park at the last spot possible so really only 1 side can get damaged at worse. And I will go right against the curb on the side where noone can park next to me.

My rules, in order of importance:
1. If unlevel lot, park at the top of the hill, not the bottom. Gravity will pull a door towards your car if you are at the bottom
2. Get the end spot, reduces the risk by 1/2
3. Get to the end of the spot if you get an end spot, leaves more room for the next car
4. If you are stuck having to park in a middle spot, don't go all the way to the left of the spot, but favor the left a little. If people park next to you, there is a 100% chance the driver door will be used, there is a much lower chance a passenger door will be used.

I live by these rules and so far 5 years with my Civic yielded 2 door dings and my Z, knock on wood, 4 years with not a single door ding.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:28 PM
SQuaLZ

Also, if you have a gf or a wife, just put up with their bitching. They will never understand, and if you give in it will be a lose lose.

You will get the "why park so far away you will get a dent anyways" and that day you get a ding, you get the dreaded "see I told you so"

I drop my gf off at the front then go park, especially when it is raining or cold out. When it is nice out she just comes with me and will walk. She knows I love my car.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:30 PM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Same. Now I just gravitate to corner spots. Only one side exposed; the side with the dings.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Good set of guidelines SQualz, I learned something new from them. Also you might consider adding one more. When I park in a middle spot, I don’t pull in all the way; I leave my car’s a$$ end hanging out a bit. A car parking in the space beyond mine will have to turn wider to access the spot. This will leave them a bit off center in the spot with more room between their door and my car.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:21 PM
SQuaLZ

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
Good set of guidelines SQualz, I learned something new from them. Also you might consider adding one more. When I park in a middle spot, I don’t pull in all the way; I leave my car’s a$$ end hanging out a bit. A car parking in the space beyond mine will have to turn wider to access the spot. This will leave them a bit off center in the spot with more room between their door and my car.
Thanks!

My dad used your technique but last month someone hit the side of his rear bumper in a lot, so be careful with that technique.

Another point for the unlevel lot, shopping carts go downhill, not uphill
Old 04-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Golden_Armz

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

its bad enough our cars get door dings very easily! i swear its made of very thin or cheap metal..
Old 04-25-2013, 03:51 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As you've driven to the gym, a few more metres wouldn't hurt. It usually helps if you find an end carpark. There is almost always an end carpark somewhere as others seem to have an aversion to parking on an end, much to our benefit.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Jcope

I just park next to the nicest cars because I feel as though they hopefully care about their cars as much as I do.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:07 PM
zaimer

I always try to park in the least populated part of the lot lol. Or like when I take it on campus, I'll try to get a spot that's at the end of a row so there's a curb on one side. I back in and get as close to the curb as possible without scratching my rims .

But like others have said, it doesn't matter how far away you park. There is always going to be some jacka** that has to park right next to you. Last week, for example, I went to the grocery store and purposely parked a ways away from the entrance in the empty part of the lot. Came back outside to leave..had 2 cars parked right next to me with open spots all over RIGHT BY THE ENTRANCE. The one lady parked so close SHE had a hard time getting back in her car! . As I was walking back to my car I watched her struggling to get into hers. I was waiting for her to touch my car with her door and I was going to rip her a new a**hole
Old 04-26-2013, 05:06 AM
DemitriHKS

I usually care about this too. But last week I parked as far as I could and came out to this....This I don't mind because normally people are idiots.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:10 AM
faiz23
FEZZZZZZ

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am that guy who will find cars parked way out there and park right beside them just to **** you off. Happy Friday.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:21 AM
Darkside Mojo

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
You will get the "why park so far away you will get a dent anyways"
In this situation I always go with the classic retort "Why aren't you making me a sammich?" That usually takes care of the yapping coming from my passenger seat.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:47 AM
SQuaLZ

Originally Posted by faiz23
I am that guy who will find cars parked way out there and park right beside them just to **** you off. Happy Friday.
I am the guy that sees a car parked next to mine, and if I see the slightest dent I'm kicking your fender in

Why should I respect somebody's car that obviously doesn't respect mine.

Originally Posted by Darkside Mojo
In this situation I always go with the classic retort "Why aren't you making me a sammich?" That usually takes care of the yapping coming from my passenger seat.
FULL OF WIN!!

Quick Reply: How far do you park?