Notices
South Central Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama

PLEASE HELP!!!! stranded in Tennessee close to Newport

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 10:04 AM
zleeperZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP!!!! stranded in Tennessee close to Newport

im stranded in Tennessee just north of Hartford and south of newport. I have a flat on my rims and there is no way i can get a tire tonight. I need someone who is willing to let me buy one oem rim and i will ship it back when i get home. Again, i cant buy a tire tonight because i have 305 30 19's in the back and there is no way anyone will carry that size in the area. im driving from tennessee to savannah ga and im looking for help! please call me if there is anyway you can help me. this is my phone number 912-713-1234. my name is josh. if you know anyone in the area who can help me please let them know. I would really apreciate it and compensate them with money. Im going to post this in the other threads to get some type of response. please call me asap as i need to get home before tomorrow. thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Jonnoh

seems like youre trying to be as efficient with money as possible on someone elses dime.

Just buy a tire on a steelie and drive home, fix it when you get there.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:19 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

lol
Old 04-28-2013, 02:21 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'd be better off getting two tires for the rear. Running a mis-matched pair that far might do some damage to the differential.

"Keep Testing the Limits." Yeah, I'd say getting someone you don't know to lend you wheels and tires qualifies, but good luck.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:25 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Best to post in the regional section. If it was Vegas, i would be willing to help, but your on the wrong side of the US
Old 04-28-2013, 05:22 PM
WeightLimit

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Get on craigslist and get some used tires or wheels/tires. It's the only option you have besides buying new from a dealer.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:12 PM
DayZblue350Z

good luck, little far from me man.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Moved to the regional subforum

Just put on a spare tire and drive home, it's ok to do so for a little bit but not to run permanently
Old 04-29-2013, 06:13 AM
zleeperZ

Originally Posted by Jonnoh
seems like youre trying to be as efficient with money as possible on someone elses dime.

Just buy a tire on a steelie and drive home, fix it when you get there.
you must be stupid. i was offering to pay for the services rendered. i was stuck in the mountains, pouring rain, without a tire to drive home 350 miles. dont insult me insult someone youve never met. its pathetic that you think that i would reach out to our community for help and get ridiculous pompus answers like yours. thanks anyway. I bought a full set of g35 rims and tires off of craigslist and mailed the rest of my rims home. douche.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:19 AM
zleeperZ

Originally Posted by winchman
You'd be better off getting two tires for the rear. Running a mis-matched pair that far might do some damage to the differential.

"Keep Testing the Limits." Yeah, I'd say getting someone you don't know to lend you wheels and tires qualifies, but good luck.
i never wanted anyone to lend me their rim/tire. I was willing to pay someone for it and send it back when i was finished. i would let them keep the cash that i paid for the rim/tire. anyone could have made a quick 300 bucks for helping a fellow member out.

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Best to post in the regional section. If it was Vegas, i would be willing to help, but your on the wrong side of the US
i appreciate it. i would help a fellow member if he was close to me and needed it.

Originally Posted by WeightLimit
Get on craigslist and get some used tires or wheels/tires. It's the only option you have besides buying new from a dealer.
I ended up buying a full set off someone.

Originally Posted by DayZblue350Z
good luck, little far from me man.
one day im sure i will help one of my fellow z guys that needs it.

Originally Posted by Waizzz
Moved to the regional subforum

Just put on a spare tire and drive home, it's ok to do so for a little bit but not to run permanently
i wish i could have done that. i put the spare on and as soon as i let the jack down the air bled out of the valve stem.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:51 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Bad valve stem on the spare, had that happen a couple years ago on my old truck. Will only happen once , I check the spare every oil change now
Old 04-29-2013, 04:51 PM
zleeperZ

Bad valve stem on the spare, had that happen a couple years ago on my old truck. Will only happen once , I check the spare every oil change now
yeah, there are certain things that you will only learn from experience. this is one of them. could you imagine how someone would look at you if you told them to check the valve stem on their spare every oil change? "yeah, i will get right on that." is what they would think.

on a brighter note. i just bought a set of re050's so I wont be down for long.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:01 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Great advice, never thought about it... would fckn suck the see your unuse spare flat b/c bad valve stem and/or failure to check it routinely.

OP - glad everything will be gravy soon.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:42 PM
zleeperZ

well, im glad that im home. yesterday i left andersonville, tn at 11am with my girlfriend concluding the weekend wedding we attended. mind you we are from savannah, ga.

once we got on the road everything seemed fine as we aproached the mountains, other than the fact that it was raining like cats and dogs. we just got passed newport and my tire started to vibrate. i pulled over to check if everything was okay, every thing seemed to be in order. i didnt notice to really small leak that was occurring on my $500 tire.

this was the end result. the rain hid the fact that my tire had gone flat considering that it had been pouring so bad for the past hour and i was fighting against sitting water.

i know that its a terrible picture but the contact patch separated from the sidewall. instantly i thought i was going to have to buy another 19x11 re30 I was pretty upset at the time considering the fact that they are $1150 a piece new. not only that, i was also out another $550 after mounting and balancing of another tire. I run michelin pilot super sports (they are definitely worth the money)

Once i realized that we had a flat i pulled over to the side of the road and called roadside assistance. there was no one in the area that could pick me up for an hour and a half. I have roadside assistance on my phone by the way and it only runs me 2.99 a month, i suggest everyone adds it. anyway, we finally got picked up.

here is a shot from the passenger seat of the tow truck.

once we got back to the shop, the driver was also the owner of the shop by the way, he told me that there was no way to get a tire earlier than tuesday in the size i need: 305/30zr19. thats when i knew I was screwed. we pulled in to the shop that he owned and he told me i could look around to see if there was a tire that i could use for the rim i had. he said there were a couple wrecked corvettes in the back that might have a tire if i was lucky. no luck. as i was walking around his shop as he took the rim off my car this is what i cam across!!!!

how lucky was i????

here is the after math of the tire.

once all was said and done. he charged me 25 for the tow and 100 fro the rim and tire. there is a god.

its not pretty, but my baby got me home. i was to thank the guy that owned the shop that worked in the rain on sunday. this is your official shout out, YOU ARE AWESOME! thanks for everything.

when you dont believe that there is a higher power at work, realize this.

in the middle of the mountains on a storming sunday, my att roadside assistance people called 17 towing companies before someone answered. the tow truck guy knew that there was no way i was getting a tire for that rim that day. the only shop that answered also happened to be the only place i could find a g35 rim with a tire already mounted. this was sitting on a rack of over 100 used tired. holy hell i was fortunate. whoever you are up there, thanks.

after we took the rim off the car and tire off the rim, everything was fine. the mounting surface on the rim was still good. my rim definitely has a scuff on it now, but at least its not totaled.

here is are pictures of the rim at home with me now waiting on new rubber.

the last one was the damage to the front

you can see that the tire was rubbing against the rim when i pulled off.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you made it through alright, that was some crazy night you had!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:36 PM
zleeperZ

Originally Posted by Waizzz
Glad you made it through alright, that was some crazy night you had!
yeah, in the last hour of the drive my passenger side headlight failed in the rain! oh well i got my girlfriend home safe.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:24 AM
Jonnoh

I guess I misread it, don't know how that makes me a douche while most others had the same idea I did.

I read it as you would be willing to pay them once you got home, honor system style.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:19 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by zleeperZ
i pulled over to check if everything was okay, every thing seemed to be in order. i didnt notice to really small leak that was occurring on my $500 tire.

this was the end result. the rain hid the fact that my tire had gone flat considering that it had been pouring so bad for the past hour and i was fighting against sitting water.
And this boys and girls is why Tire Pressure Monitoring is required on all vehicles since 2007. Way too many reasons that you don't realize your tire is going flat or in this worst-case - gone flat.

Glad you or the car weren't seriously hurt or damaged.