Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Starting to think I messed up...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Sunderland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, the HR is a better choice, if you have that choice. I did not.
I had a spending limit and every 07 and up Z in my area were all over that limit by at least 4k. Unless I wanted an 07 model that had 120,000 miles for the same price as my low mile Z, not worth it.

My Z had the lowest mileage in the area for and 06 and under and it was one of the best kept. I like to think I did pretty good.
I've already heard multiple times that I should've bought the "better" engine and I've only had the car a few weeks, just irritating to someone who's never owned a Z before.

Moussa93, that wasn't directed torwards you, just a general statement, I promise.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunderland
I agree, the HR is a better choice, if you have that choice. I did not.
I had a spending limit and every 07 and up Z in my area were all over that limit by at least 4k. Unless I wanted an 07 model that had 120,000 miles for the same price as my low mile Z, not worth it.

My Z had the lowest mileage in the area for and 06 and under and it was one of the best kept. I like to think I did pretty good.
I've already heard multiple times that I should've bought the "better" engine and I've only had the car a few weeks, just irritating to someone who's never owned a Z before.

Moussa93, that wasn't directed torwards you, just a general statement, I promise.
Do the people who keep telling you this, drive HR's themselves?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:01 PM
NFGZ

Originally Posted by dkmura
Having owned, driven and raced all three versions of the Z, there's not a huge difference between all of them for a street driven car. You're not going to tell there's any more horsepower until you get into the upper rev band of the HR and you damn well better be on a race track to be testing that. Torque? The Rev-up matches the HR in almost every meaningful way.
I stopped reading right away and had to quote this.

To the OP, please do not let 3k posts make you believe that this is any type of true. The HR is a totally different platform that out performs the DE and RevUp all day every day. Stock for stock is night and day and you'll notice a difference immediately. Mod for mod is the same thing as well, completely different. The HR motor is 100% better and if you had the opportunity to get one I would say go for it. The RevUp is notrious for having issues and it may only be a matter of time before you yourself see them. The motor is not only stronger, it has a completely different and more balanced powerband to make power all the way to redline, and it takes to mods way better. Nissan really did their research on this motor which is why the took the same concept onto the 370 and the GTR. You do not see a DE based motor in those cars.

Pound for pound they are not the same.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Sunderland

Combination of HR drivers and non Z owners. Only had one guy with a DE tell me that I did wrong. He was a dick lol.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:06 PM
NFGZ

Originally Posted by zJames
I have a rev up with a motordyne plenum spacer, jwt popcharger, high flo cats, and a lightweight flywheel and walk my buddies HR. take the tampon out and start on some light mods instead of trading it in.
but congrats shes a beaut
bahaha challenge accepted. Bring it to Florida, we have plenty of 1/4's to line it up on
Old 05-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Syner

Originally Posted by NFGZ

To the OP, please do not let 3k posts make you believe that this is any type of true. The HR is a totally different platform that out performs the DE and RevUp all day every day. Stock for stock is night and day and you'll notice a difference immediately. Mod for mod is the same thing as well, completely different. The HR motor is 100% better and if you had the opportunity to get one I would say go for it. The RevUp is notrious for having issues and it may only be a matter of time before you yourself see them. The motor is not only stronger, it has a completely different and more balanced powerband to make power all the way to redline, and it takes to mods way better. Nissan really did their research on this motor which is why the took the same concept onto the 370 and the GTR. You do not see a DE based motor in those cars.

The HR is not "stronger" it just makes power easier. And I'm pretty sure Nissan did their research with all their engines, not just the HR...

OP, I take it these are the types of guys you are talking about. You own a Z - regardless of DE, Rev-Up, or HR - you still own a Z.

I own a DE and am very happy. Would I like the HR? Of course. Do I lose sleep over not getting one? No.

Someone will always have more than you; learn to be happy with what you have, it'll make life more enjoyable.

Last edited by Syner; 05-01-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM
NFGZ

I went to A Nissan dealership today to request a background on my car, thanks faiz23!
It had the flywheel replaced at 17000 miles, other then that its clean.

As I said on my original post, the HR was beyond my reach finically and every other model Z in the area was either auto or high mileage.

I love the car but it just seems that every post on this site is anti 06 and anti rev up. My first experience with another Z driver was some douche who had a 300zx and all he talked about was how I wasted my money on a 350 non nismo and how his ride would stomp my "expensive toy". Not very good for the spirit.

As outlawchris mentioned, I believe most who diss the Rev Up haven't owned one and get hung up on how much better their HR is. I'm glad you enjoy your car but please let us non HR owners enjoy ours without certain people insisting that we trade up. It's honestly annoying. We all have Z's and were here because we love these machines regardless of the power plant and a slight power difference.

The more research I do on these awesome cars, the more I love them! I'm really starting to enjoy the Redline color, around here it's an insanely rare color. Only a few Z's in the area and they are all silver, blue or black.

On a side note, the Nissan dealership here had a beautiful 37Oz Nismo! White with black interior. Way beyond my means but holy hell it was nice lol. They did tell me that in a years time, if I'm ready they'll take my 06 in for a trade on a 370. It might be in the future.
If you enjoy your car thats all that matters. If the HR was out of your price range you shouldnt even worry about if you made the right or wrong choice. The right choice was buying a Z regardless.
Originally Posted by Syner
Do the people who keep telling you this, drive HR's themselves?
I do. I have driven each platform, raced against each platform from stock with various NA mods, and raced in each platform from stock to various mods.

My 2 bolt on AUTO HR ran a 13.2 @ 108 with a 2.1 60ft. Tell me a 2 bolt on rev up that will have as terrible of a 60ft and will run that? The platforms are just different
Old 05-01-2013, 12:16 PM
zJames

bahaha challenge accepted. Bring it to Florida, we have plenty of 1/4's to line it up on
im saying stock HR's but sure straight line warrior
Old 05-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Moussa93

The HR is not "stronger" it just makes power easier. And I'm pretty sure Nissan did their research with all their engines, not just the HR...

OP, I take it these are the types of guys you are talking about. You own a Z - regardless of DE, Rev-Up, or HR - you still own a Z.

I own a DE and am very happy. Would I like the HR? Of course. Do I lose sleep over not getting one? No.

Someone will always have more than you; learn to be happy with what you have, it'll make life more enjoyable.

^ Words of Wisdom !
Old 05-01-2013, 12:17 PM
NFGZ

This is the only part of your post I agree with. Its not "these type of guys", its honest guys answering his question. Should he have gotten the HR? Of course, especially if hes looking for more power. Will he be disappointed with the DE? No, its still a fun car to drive.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:19 PM
NFGZ

Originally Posted by zJames
im saying stock HR's but sure straight line warrior
While my Z is no longer stock, I ran a pretty similar set up to what you described when I had just the intakes on it. You said it, I just said I'd like to line up with it? No harm in it
Old 05-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Sunderland

Syner, yep he's pretty much the type I talking about.
Don't get me wrong. I am happy with my vehicle and only sleep I've lost is over the excitement of actually owning it. It just worries me that I only hear negative things about the model like our friend NFGZ has pointed out. Almost like I would have been better off keeping my old vehicle then picking up a non HR model.
Seems there are two types of HR owners, one being humble and happy that other Z's exist, and the other being that his HR is the only engine to have and if you don't have it you may as well drive a Volvo. Lol.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:24 PM
NFGZ

Syner, yep he's pretty much the type I talking about.
Don't get me wrong. I am happy with my vehicle and only sleep I've lost is over the excitement of actually owning it. It just worries me that I only hear negative things about the model like our friend NFGZ has pointed out. Almost like I would have been better off keeping my old vehicle then picking up a non HR model.
Seems there are two types of HR owners, one being humble and happy that other Z's exist, and the other being that his HR is the only engine to have and if you don't have it you may as well drive a Volvo. Lol.
You may have missed my above comment, but i understand I have posted a lot.

You own a Z car dude, regardless. All Im saying is that given the opportunity I would say yes, get the HR. I have driven them all and can honestly say it is the best platform.

That being said, you still own a Z car. Enjoy it. If it was honestly out of your price range why stress it dude? Live inside your means, and enjoy it, be happy with it. You wont be let down, just keep an eye on the few issues it does have and youll be set.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Syner

If you enjoy your car thats all that matters. If the HR was out of your price range you shouldnt even worry about if you made the right or wrong choice. The right choice was buying a Z regardless.

I do. I have driven each platform, raced against each platform from stock with various NA mods, and raced in each platform from stock to various mods.

My 2 bolt on AUTO HR ran a 13.2 @ 108 with a 2.1 60ft. Tell me a 2 bolt on rev up that will have as terrible of a 60ft and will run that? The platforms are just different
I was more referring to the guys who tear down others out of jealousy. (ie Guy who drives a Geo - "Oh, you bought a Ferrari? You're such an idiot, you should have bought a Lambo, they are waaaay better.")

This is the only part of your post I agree with. Its not "these type of guys", its honest guys answering his question. Should he have gotten the HR? Of course, especially if hes looking for more power. Will he be disappointed with the DE? No, its still a fun car to drive.
No offense meant - I interpreted your original post incorrectly. It came off as elitist: "don't bother buying a Z if it isn't HR." I just wanted to set the record that DE may not have the power output and mod potential, but the DE is still a fun car

Last edited by Syner; 05-01-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Moussa93

My 2 bolt on AUTO HR ran a 13.2 @ 108 with a 2.1 60ft.

// Off topic : What oO ?

I ran 13.56 with a Manual HR @ 107.7 with a 2.0 60Ft with CAI and Exhaust
And I need a tune, badly
Old 05-01-2013, 01:53 PM
NFGZ

I was more referring to the guys who tear down others out of jealousy. (ie Guy who drives a Geo - "Oh, you bought a Ferrari? You're such an idiot, you should have bought a Lambo, they are waaaay better.")

No offense meant - I interpreted your original post incorrectly. It came off as elitist: "don't bother buying a Z if it isn't HR." I just wanted to set the record that DE may not have the power output and mod potential, but the DE is still a fun car
I hear ya, my bad man. Z cars are great to own, regardless what year enjoy it1

Originally Posted by Moussa93
My 2 bolt on AUTO HR ran a 13.2 @ 108 with a 2.1 60ft.

// Off topic : What oO ?

I ran 13.56 with a Manual HR @ 107.7 with a 2.0 60Ft with CAI and Exhaust
And I need a tune, badly
I just have intake and test pipes, no exhaust. Tune is night and day on the cars
Old 05-01-2013, 02:08 PM
J 0 K 3 R

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
Mine makes a whining noise also upon cold start up and goes away after about 20 seconds. It sounds like it is coming from underneath the car, like between the front wheels. It is bothering the hell out of me.
i have it too. i think its the power steering. makes more noise when i turn the wheel within the first 30 seconds of cold startup. maybe the steering fluid is just low.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:10 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Nissan really did their research on this motor which is why the took the same concept onto the 370 and the GTR. You do not see a DE based motor in those .
The HR motor is based off the DE , the rev up is a version of a DE. All great motors, they just made improvements over the years.

Last to the OP, plenty of Rev Up motors are rulling well, then a lot of Rev Up cars had there motors replaced under warranty
Old 05-01-2013, 02:15 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would check with Nissan to see of anything was replaced under warranty.. some owners needed them replaced under 30k some don't have any oil issues.

I personally think you should take pride in your car. I look at it like thi, my z is almost one decade old but to me its like a brand new car. Doesn't look as old as it should BC I store it in winter.

I'll run my z into the ground and many owners go 200k with only minor issues
Old 05-01-2013, 02:16 PM
J 0 K 3 R

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no.
OP the revup is great! the hr makes 2% more power than the DE revup. with full bolt ons you wouldnt even notice the 20 hp difference and that difference is only at 6k rpm+. when do you hit that on the street?
also save the 4k difference in price and put towards a turbo if you need more power.
and my 06 has no oil issues.

Last edited by J 0 K 3 R; 05-01-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Starting to think I messed up...