Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Starting to think I messed up...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 05:18 AM
Sunderland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting to think I messed up...

I recently got a 2006 Touring Z, leather seats, Bose sound system, 6mt, relatively low miles and stock.
The car runs great, shifts fine, the interior isnt scratched all to hell. It does make a whining noise for a few minutes untill it warms up though.

I didnt do my homework, but then again I wasnt in the market for a Z when I got it (I was actually on the look out for another Trans Am or GTO). I was driving an 01 Frontier and wanted back into another sports car so I shopped around town and ended up at Carmax.
The 06 Z caught my eye with its beautiful Redline color (There was an 08 Red Z next to the 06 but it was a few grand more then I could afford, I even asked the associate the difference between the two and he simply said year and mileage. Didnt seem worth paying an extra 4k just to have 5000 less miles)

I took it for a test drive and fell in love with it. Not as much power as my old Trans Am but it was more fun to drive. I initially walked away from the deal and took my girl out to eat (sushi!!). While out she actually talked me into getting the car, knowing that I was not happy with my truck. So after the meal we went back to Carmax and closed the deal. I drove away with a smile on my face.

Now after owning the car for several weeks, I found this website and did my research on my new baby.
I now know about the possible oil consumption and found out that the Rev Up is basically the weakest of all the 350 motors. Not happy.

Im not one for pure power, I got out of that mentality when I turned 23, but this is bothering me a good bit. So far ive only put about 300 miles on her and no sign of oil consumption (though its too early to tell). The power could be a bit better as well. I really wish I would have known about the HR motor before hand, especially since I plane on modding.

Now Im debating on trading it up ASAP to an HR model (probably within a year or so) or just getting a different make altogether. I am actually happy with my current model, but just not as happy as I would be with a HR.

Just curious as to what other Z enthusiast would do in my situation??
Attached Thumbnails Starting to think I messed up...-61550_505596149501039_406455142_n.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013, 05:23 AM
faiz23
FEZZZZZZ

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No idea what the whining noise is and if you are even describing it correctly. Maybe a pulley bearing or something. Take a video so we can understand a little better. Drive the vehicle and monitor the oil levels. If you are loosing 1qt every 1000 miles that would be a little over the average. If you are only consuming 1 qt every oil change than that will be fine. Check oil levels first thing in the morning after the car has sat overnight to let the oil settle. Top off your oil and then drive 1250 miles and check your oil level. Once you have done that then report back with oil consumption rating. Than add oil and keep driving until you are ready to trade her in. Go to Nissan and give them the vin # so they can give you service records and if it was ever brought in for oil consumption.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:51 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,297 Likes on 898 Posts

First and most importantly, try adjusting your attitude. You bought a legendary Nissan Z car, not a Mercedes SL, Lexus SC or other poser sportscar. It's combination of RWD performance, durability, utility and value-for-money are unmatched. All of the VQ engines--including the DE, Rev-up and HR--are great powerplants with Wards Best Engine awards to prove throughout the years.

Having owned, driven and raced all three versions of the Z, there's not a huge difference between all of them for a street driven car. You're not going to tell there's any more horsepower until you get into the upper rev band of the HR and you damn well better be on a race track to be testing that. Torque? The Rev-up matches the HR in almost every meaningful way.

Why waste your money and add to a dealer's profit margin by trading it? Take your girl's advice and DRIVE it- take a few trips this summer and make some memories with it. A true Z enthusiast would continue to learn about chassis, engine and appearance mods to make the Z more unique to your tastes. That and learning about the best products to maintain your Z would certainly be a better use of the money. You didn't make a mistake buying your Z, but indulging in buyer's remorse is certainly one.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:09 AM
HK350 Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say to monitor the oil for a few months, if no or little consumption, you know your good....
Old 05-01-2013, 06:47 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

ya, alot of the hype on the 06 oil consumption is just a bunch of whinny bishes....sure, no one wants to deal with that, but it isnt death...the 06 model has the upgraded looks (headlights/taillights) and the motor does rev higher than the prior models.......i say take it from there and enjoy the car, dont dwell too much....

-J
Old 05-01-2013, 07:02 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Mine makes a whining noise also upon cold start up and goes away after about 20 seconds. It sounds like it is coming from underneath the car, like between the front wheels. It is bothering the hell out of me.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:22 AM
GreyZ33Track

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I spent probably too much on my 04 Track a few months ago, but i did so because of the condition of the car and the low miles (47k), plus it has all the quality bolt-ons already done. I didnt buy this car for the speed, My old 240sx would kill this thing in the 1/4 and at the track......but it wasn't a Z Enjoy your car and then go for a used 370 in a few years if you want a true upgrade to the 350.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:39 AM
Destroyeron

Agreed, I would only trade it in if you're experiencing oil consumption. Other than that, enjoy it!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:45 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Destroyeron
Agreed, I would only trade it in if you're experiencing oil consumption. Other than that, enjoy it!
Why? Is it really that difficult to monitor your oil level on a regular basis?
Old 05-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Slyguy_38

I had a little regret on buying an '06 at first too. Found out that mine actually consumes about 1qt between changes. It's the nature of having the DE motor and the 6MT.

Besides that, the car is amazing and I'm totally thrilled and satisfied with it. Check the oil and add as needed between 3K mile oil changes and you're good. We should all check oil level every 1K miles just in case anyways.

You have a gorgeous Z. Just enjoy it!!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:43 AM
drvqz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The DE is very well a potent motor. It's not like the HR produces 10x the HP then the DE. Dkmura said it best.

Enjoy the Z breh. Mod it to your hearts content and create memories with it. Life moves on.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:46 AM
stuartc323

Enjoy that car man, you got a good car, just take care of it and it will reap you many years of fun.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:15 AM
The_Assassin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must have been good to see the redline and nogaro side by side. Surprising how it seemed as if you liked the redline over the 08 tho in terms of color. Most people prefer the nogaro red over redline
Old 05-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Z_Touring

About 3 years ago I sacrificed my 06 Touring and traded it in to purchase a family mobile (2010 Altima). At the time I had a Titan and I loved, however I instantly regreted losing my Z. 6 months ago I sold my Titan and purchased another 06 Touring identical to my first one. I am very glad I tracked her down...never again will I go with out my Z. Learn from my experience. You said it yourself, this car is more fun to drive than your other sports cars.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:31 AM
theoutlawchris

I've already put over 10k in mine and changed the oil after ever 3500 miles, It's an 06 6MT and I had to add a half qt one time. I did the same thing after I got mine and for three months thought something was wrong with it and that my engine was gonna blow because of oil consumption etc... but like every one else is saying just enjoy it, check the oil every so often it's not that difficult, I think most of the people who say bad stuff about the Rev Up never actually had one.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Moussa93

Take it back and get an HR ! You won't regret it
Old 05-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Sunderland

I went to A Nissan dealership today to request a background on my car, thanks faiz23!
It had the flywheel replaced at 17000 miles, other then that its clean.

As I said on my original post, the HR was beyond my reach finically and every other model Z in the area was either auto or high mileage.

I love the car but it just seems that every post on this site is anti 06 and anti rev up. My first experience with another Z driver was some douche who had a 300zx and all he talked about was how I wasted my money on a 350 non nismo and how his ride would stomp my "expensive toy". Not very good for the spirit.

As outlawchris mentioned, I believe most who diss the Rev Up haven't owned one and get hung up on how much better their HR is. I'm glad you enjoy your car but please let us non HR owners enjoy ours without certain people insisting that we trade up. It's honestly annoying. We all have Z's and were here because we love these machines regardless of the power plant and a slight power difference.

The more research I do on these awesome cars, the more I love them! I'm really starting to enjoy the Redline color, around here it's an insanely rare color. Only a few Z's in the area and they are all silver, blue or black.

On a side note, the Nissan dealership here had a beautiful 37Oz Nismo! White with black interior. Way beyond my means but holy hell it was nice lol. They did tell me that in a years time, if I'm ready they'll take my 06 in for a trade on a 370. It might be in the future.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Moussa93

If this is for me, you kind of misunderstood what I said.
I don't mind if you have a RevUp, 06, 03 or anything, a Z is a Z.
What I mean is that whenever you have the choice between an HR and an 06, it's better to get the HR.
I personally bought my HR not knowing what I was buying. It's a couple weeks later, when I started to do some serious research that I knew about the potential of the car.
Now for anybody who has a RevUp, if you love your car and don't have any oil consumption issues, I say keep your car and enjoy it.
If you want more power, easier gains with mods and yada yada yada, get an HR.

The most important is that you owe a Z and are happy with it
Old 05-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Moussa93
If this is for me, you kind of misunderstood what I said.
I don't mind if you have a RevUp, 06, 03 or anything, a Z is a Z.
What I mean is that whenever you have the choice between an HR and an 06, it's better to get the HR.
I personally bought my HR not knowing what I was buying. It's a couple weeks later, when I started to do some serious research that I knew about the potential of the car.
Now for anybody who has a RevUp, if you love your car and don't have any oil consumption issues, I say keep your car and enjoy it.
If you want more power, easier gains with mods and yada yada yada, get an HR.

The most important is that you owe a Z and are happy with it
Who cares if there is consumption? Check your oil regularly and if needed, top it up.

I have a DE with no consumption issues, yet I still check my oil twice a month - bare minimum.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 AM
zJames

I have a rev up with a motordyne plenum spacer, jwt popcharger, high flo cats, and a lightweight flywheel and walk my buddies HR. take the tampon out and start on some light mods instead of trading it in.
but congrats shes a beaut

Last edited by zJames; 05-01-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Starting to think I messed up...